Audioguy HT and 2 Channel Room (Combined)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Old room cosmetics vs new room cosmetics:

OLD LOOK:

OldLook copy.JPG

NEW LOOK: The ceiling speakers have been replaced with in-ceiling speakers vs on-ceiling

New1.jpg

New2.jpg

EDIT: All of the original room treatment is still there. Just hidden by the fabric over them.

Last edited:

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Looks fantastic Chuck. Am very happy w/the RS500 too btw.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very nice! Congrats

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Beautiful room congratulations.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Beautiful room congratulations.

Thank you. I see you are somewhere near the place of my origin. I spent the first 18 years of my life in the San Fernando valley. It was called North Hollywood then but now I think it is either called Studio City or No Ho !!

A bit OT. My parents bought our home new in 1941 and paid about $4000 for it. They sold it in 1959 for $25,000. All of the homes on the block were track homes so all were very similar. Last year, the home next to ours was sold for about $1.1 million, torn down and a new one was built for about $1,000,000. Mind you, this is on a 50 x 100 foot lot. The one next to it sold last year for $2.4 million. That is just NUTS !!!!!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Certainly not the norm for this forum, but I'm moving from 7.8.4 channels to 9.8.6 channels and replacing my amazing Datasat RS20i processor with a Trinnov 32-16. New amps and additional speakers to make it all work. All 9 speakers at ear level have identical midrange/tweeter drivers. Listening to music with high channel count and the Auro up-mixer has completely altered the music listening experience. For the majority on this forum who have never experienced it, you owe it to yourself to hear music rendered in this manner in a perfectly and properly calibrated system.

After all of these years of doing this level of calibration (both for myself and for an income), I have hired one of the very best to calibrate this room - Adam Pelz. It is not that I am not capable of doing it myself but the Trinnov has a much longer learning curve than the Datasat and I would much rather have Adam do his magic in two days so I don't spend weeks, months, or more likely years fiddling around and not being able to enjoy music at its fullest immediately. I've gotten to this place in life (called getting older) where it is more important to be listening to music (or watching movies) than it is to be dialing the system is so I CAN listen to music or watch movies.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like a great place to watch Movies and listen

Thanks. It is.

No distractions looking at electronics or bright lights. When listening, and the lights are all off, I can't see my hand in front of my face. I AM there (or they are HERE). Very easy to get immersed. Much more so than the very best two channel system I have ever heard. What made the increased speaker count work was the implementation of Auro-Matic for making meaningful and practical use of the additional speaker count.

As I have previously noted, I gave up the never ending (very expensive) 40+ year, two channel chase for better, better and better (wires, amps, preamps, tweaks, speakers, conditioners) for what, to my ears, is a far more realistic re-presentation of music. The final ah-ha moment came when my wife hired a three piece jazz ensemble to play in our home for a previous birthday. After previously being convinced I could never get anything close to the sound of a large symphony in my home (25 years in a large choir/orchestra and 25 years dead center, 10th row of Atlanta Symphony) this event convinced me that I was kidding myself ---- that I could spend my way to the poor house and still be a bazillion miles from having anything like live music in my home. Did each upgrade/tweak move me up the scale? Of course. But then I was still a bazillion miles (less one) from my objective.

But FWIW, this approach is no less [strike]addictive[/strike] interesting than the two channel approach. Instead of different wires, amps, etc, it is more and more speakers. With what will be 15 speakers and 8 subs, it is a very long way from my focus of 2 speakers and no subs just about 7 years ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
A live jazz band in your home is nowhere near a copy music reproduction from a recorded medium, the later being what it is...a simile.

A multichannel setup with a display has an advantage acoustically and visually over an Ultra high End stereo sound setup, in my humble and emotional opinion. For movies and music concerts on 4K Blu-ray and also in 3D and regular 2D, it has that extra edge, that extra dimension, that extra emotional connection, IMO.

Chuck, you're on the heaven's destiny.
___

* Personally I am more vibrating emotionally with music attached to visual.
Those two senses together are more impacting to me than a single one, be it hearing or seeing.
The sound dispersion from multichannel has also the possibility to be more advantageous.
With films certainly because it puts you in the environment, and with music the same.
___

? http://www.trinnov.com/products/home-theater/altitude32/specs-altitude32/product-details/

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A live jazz band in your home is nowhere near a copy music reproduction from a recorded medium, the later being what it is...a simile.

A multichannel setup with a display has an advantage acoustically and visually over an Ultra high End stereo sound setup, in my humble and emotional opinion. For movies and music concerts on 4K Blu-ray and also in 3D and regular 2D, it has that extra edge, that extra dimension, that extra emotional connection, IMO.

Chuck, you're on the heaven's destiny.
___

* Personally I am more vibrating emotionally with music attached to visual.
Those two senses together are more impacting to me than a single one, be it hearing or seeing.
The sound dispersion from multichannel has also the possibility to be more advantageous.
With films certainly because it puts you in the environment, and with music the same.
___

? http://www.trinnov.com/products/home-theater/altitude32/specs-altitude32/product-details/

Bob: I'm not talking about a music video. That is a much different experience. I'm talking about 2 channel music unconverted to 15 channels (or 9 or 7 or 5 .... or 24 or 31).

I would suggest that watching a BluRay concert is also very different than listening to just 2 channel music in 2 channels or 22 channels. All are different. All are good. Each of us has preferences.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Of course I knew that Chuck, the Trinnov Altitude is a multichannel audio SSP.

I just mentioned very few of my own thoughts. I didn't say anything about Auro-3D for music, I'll wait for when you're ready to share.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've made a few more changes to my room. (It NEVER stops).

I replaced my JV RS500 projector with a JVC RS4500 laser projector. I've added a Small Green Computer i5 CDR for Roon, streaming Tidal and playing my own library. LOVE Roon.

And I've done some additional cosmetic work. BogthSpeakersAngle copy.jpg FromFrontRight copy.jpg FromRearRigth copy.jpg SwetSpot copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hey Chuck, do you find any variance in how your 4500 renders, say, HDR 4K discs vs. streaming HDR such as Netflix or anything via AppleTV (or whatever streamer you may use). Kinda wary of getting a new PJ w/o some kind of auto tone mapping function as I find the 500 all over the place vs. the content it's being fed and have to tweak all the time.

I should add that I think the room looks even better than before -- really cool and coordinated. Looks too like you want from diffusion on the sidewall first reflection to absorption -- true? If so, what prompted the switch?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks for the nice words on the room. I like it much better as well.

The 4500 does not have auto tone mapping. I think the JVC NX9 does and it is a lot less money but bulb based and not as bright.

Not a big deal for me. This projector does most things so well I can easily overlook some things. My guess would be its eventual replacement will have auto tone mapping - probably announced at CEDIA 2019. One partial solution would be to have the 4500 calibrated for different sources but even that is not ideal.

Hope you are doing well.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yeah, debating the NX9 vs. 4500 for that reason. Auto tone mapping vs. laser source vs. waiting is the dilemma in a nutshell.

Doing well, thx. Hope same for you.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I guess I should consider that. Have in my head that buying either of the two PJs should be enough on their own w/o another box, adding yet more $$ and complexity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing