Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Season 6 Concluded

WINTER IS HERE

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I started it but couldn't get with its flow. I like gothic tales, scratch that, I lLOVE them but I think the awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen put me off having the characters all in one place. Come to think of it I was never fond of monster crossovers. Only Kate Beckinsale in leather made Underworld watchable. Don't get me started with the Teeny movies like Twilight. Maybe I'll give PD another go. The only other series I think that has got its claws in me aside from GOT in recent memory was The Knick. For lighter fare only The Blacklist. I'm playing catch up with Black Sails now but it has some dragging episodes. So far all it has gotten me to consider is going to the Bahamas for vacation :D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Now I can sit and watch the entire season in one go :)!

david

Oh don't worry, you'll be done in a day or two with the short season... longing painfully for the next one.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I started it but couldn't get with its flow. I like gothic tales, scratch that, I lLOVE them but I think the awful League of Extraordinary Gentlemen put me off having the characters all in one place. Come to think of it I was never fond of monster crossovers. Only Kate Beckinsale in leather made Underworld watchable. Don't get me started with the Teeny movies like Twilight. Maybe I'll give PD another go. The only other series I think that has got its claws in me aside from GOT in recent memory was The Knick. For lighter fare only The Blacklist. I'm playing catch up with Black Sails now but it has some dragging episodes. So far all it has gotten me to consider is going to the Bahamas for vacation :D

I'm not into monster movies either and I thought exactly the same as you did, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but it's not that at all. After the 3rd episode things fall into place and the characters get established. Until PD Game of Thrones was my favorite but it turned out to be even more special. I think in the fantasy genre PD is beyond everything else in its writing, cinematography and acting. Theres so much beauty in its darkness and depth in the monsters, even the ending was wonderful when most series are a let down. Eva Green is just as attractive as Beckinsale and dark, dark, dark. You should give it another go. I like Black List too but its not in the same class as the other ones, I'm watching it for Spader more than the story.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another go it is then :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
great finale last night for Thrones - I really enjoyed the directing and musical touch they added. sad that HBO is breaking up the final season into two, but that's the norm these days.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I read somewhere that they don't have much of a choice because they've already caught up with G.R.R and he has lots more writing to do (final novel). Is this true?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I read somewhere that they don't have much of a choice because they've already caught up with G.R.R and he has lots more writing to do (final novel). Is this true?

maybe, I'm not entirely sure. this entire season outside of Arya and Riverrun was pretty much past the end of the current books (I've read them all). I think he gave the show writers a general idea of where he was going, but he wasn't even an adviser to Season 6 as he's working on the final book (which will also be split in two I've read).

the last book he finished was 5 years ago - while the first, A Game of Thrones, is actually 20 years old now!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Keith. He better get cracking then!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not into monster movies either and I thought exactly the same as you did, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but it's not that at all. After the 3rd episode things fall into place and the characters get established. Until PD Game of Thrones was my favorite but it turned out to be even more special. I think in the fantasy genre PD is beyond everything else in its writing, cinematography and acting. Theres so much beauty in its darkness and depth in the monsters, even the ending was wonderful when most series are a let down. Eva Green is just as attractive as Beckinsale and dark, dark, dark. You should give it another go. I like Black List too but its not in the same class as the other ones, I'm watching it for Spader more than the story.

david

This Sh** is F****** DARK. Okay, okay, you're right. IMO still drags through episode 5 but really takes off in Episode 6. There's something about exorcism that scares the heck out of us Catholic folk at a very basic level. In the middle of Season 2 now and while I still would personally take a big can of paint thinner to Dorian Grey, I must say that out of everything good or great about this series, it is how it just sucks you in with the sheer consistency of prose. Green is a chameleon and just may be one of the best actresses out there today. Her role as the tortured Miss Ives requires extreme range and she weaves effortlessly between extremes of vulnerability and menace. I can't think of another present day actor that could fill her shoes for this role. For pure hotness I would still take the Deathdealer in leather to the Little Scorpion in a corset but that's just me. Dalton is rock solid. Former Pop princes Billie Piper is all grown up and shows surprising depth as the consumed and then reborn Lily. Not too keen on Clare but yes I do prefer this version to the flat top version with bolts on the neck except maybe Peter Boyle's cult classic parody portrayal with AB Normal's brain installed :D Hartnett while always likable IMO often gets left behind buy the rest of the classically trained cast and oft sticks out like a sore thumb as the composite Cowboy/Lupus Dei.

These are the movies Universal Pictures should make. Superhero-fying monsters just flat out doesn't work.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This Sh** is F****** DARK. Okay, okay, you're right. IMO still drags through episode 5 but really takes off in Episode 6. There's something about exorcism that scares the heck out of us Catholic folk at a very basic level. In the middle of Season 2 now and while I still would personally take a big can of paint thinner to Dorian Grey, I must say that out of everything good or great about this series, it is how it just sucks you in with the sheer consistency of prose. Green is a chameleon and just may be one of the best actresses out there today. Her role as the tortured Miss Ives requires extreme range and she weaves effortlessly between extremes of vulnerability and menace. I can't think of another present day actor that could fill her shoes for this role. For pure hotness I would still take the Deathdealer in leather to the Little Scorpion in a corset but that's just me. Dalton is rock solid. Former Pop princes Billie Piper is all grown up and shows surprising depth as the consumed and then reborn Lily. Not too keen on Clare but yes I do prefer this version to the flat top version with bolts on the neck except maybe Peter Boyle's cult classic parody portrayal with AB Normal's brain installed :D Hartnett while always likable IMO often gets left behind buy the rest of the classically trained cast and oft sticks out like a sore thumb as the composite Cowboy/Lupus Dei.

These are the movies Universal Pictures should make. Superhero-fying monsters just flat out doesn't work.

Looks like you're enjoying it Jack! I don't have a problem with Dorian Gray character, he's a shallow, selfish, bored, aimless immortal trying to find some meaning for his existence through encounters with society's rejects; you can't have depth with this character. As far as the dark ladies go, let just say I wouldn't kick either one out of my bed but for acting Miss Green is peerless today, in season 3 things continue to get darker and the Ives character blooms even more in contrast to the blackness, amazing what the writers have created in Miss Ives. A little spoiler alert the last 3 episodes in season 4 become even darker but the finale is also extremely, extremely beautiful. Unlike most endings this one isn't a let down, if anything it's a tour de force tying up the entire series into a beautiful package. Hope you're up on your Bible lore, it will make sense of it all in that final episode.

david

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Darn it David but you have me watching it again. I couldn't get past episode 3 but I will give it a go again

I tried three times to get into GOT but if the gratuitous violence wasn't bad enough, a show with friggen dragons is too much.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
He's talking about Penny Dreadful not Game of Thrones...
david

Sorry,
I guess one of us was in the wrong thread. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing