Game of Thrones definitely worth watching

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I must admit I feel the 1st series was writtien/directed better than this 2nd one.
I do not mind subtle differences if it helps to reduce complexity of the book while conveying the intent, especially considering how many episodes they have per season.
And maybe that is the issue, they should had put more detail into the episodes and just accept a book will be spread over multiple seasons, although as it stands even doing 1 series per book they are going to be doing a high number of series and this becomes risky in terms of TV networks taking it on.
So maybe they are doing the best they can due to such considerations, would be nice if they could do an extra 5 episodes per series as it would make it easier to write and direct IMO.
Seems to be the same writers and directors for both series, and George R Martin is involved.

Cheers
Orb

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I watched the first season on HBOGo, and was so taken with it, I plowed through all 5 books, back to back. Books 4 and 5 seem to just waste pages on collateral stuff, and don't advance the main plot lines much. I encouraged my wife, who does not like violence on the screen unless it is at a John Woo level, to watch the first season to catch-up, so we could enjoy season 2 together. I re-watched the first season with her, and enjoyed it all the more. Very high quality 'TV'. I set the DVR to pick up the second season, and it glitched! (I find Verizon's user interface to be inordinately stupid, but I programmed it right- for some reason, even though it showed up in the program 'series manager' or whatever it is called, it wasn't recording the programs. So, I only began to start recording at around episode 4, and don't want to jump in, in the middle).
Apparently, HBOGo is programmed to prevent using the AV adapter to do an HDMI out to a larger screen, so, it's either Liz and me watching our own little screens individually, or waiting until Verizon starts to make the first 4 episodes of season 2 available on demand.
But, I like it alot. I gather Martin, while prolific, is slow. So Book 6 may be a long time in the waiting- and what happens if the show gets cancelled? HBO does a happy ending?

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Heh,
I really enjoyed books 4 and 5 as it still covered a lot of action although more at a micro level than the larger main plot.
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the average cost per episode is $6m, guess why they make only 10 episodes per series.

Whart, will be interested in your views about series 2 compared to 1, once you get to watch it.
Thanks
Orb

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Orb, when i checked my TV service today, they did start to make the first episodes of Season 2 available on demand for those of us who missed them. So, we watched two tonight. I thought they were both very good; the story line starts to spread out at this point, introducing more characters and, as I remember, book 2 got bogged down a bit, but I thought they did a good job in the program so far in carrying the story's momentum forward. So, I'll be caught up quicker than I thought. Will keep you posted, without spoilers for anyone else who hasn't started watching yet.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Glad you are getting to watch them sooner than you expected :)
And thanks for your thoughts as well, good to hear.
Cheers
Orb

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been really enjoying this show, it's one I look forward to each week. However, I could do without the dragon story and her quest for her kingdom. It seems like that should be a different story altogether and telling (showing) it takes away time for more telling of the other plots.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just finished watching Season 2 last night- given the complexity of the numerous story threads, I thought the producer/writing team did a fabulous job of making the story line(s) easy to follow and did a great job with pacing. I actually enjoyed Season 2 as much as Season 1. Season 3 promises to be a killer, knowing what's ahead. (no spoilers).

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I like season 2 a lot so far. It is strong into the story lines, acting is excellent. Don't find it the least bit less than the first season, just different emphasis.

However, the relentless lust for power, grandiosity, cruelty, plotting and murder makes me wonder how anybody survived past the age of 15 or so. The show might run out of its stable of British actors if it keeps killing them as fast as they appear.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bloody amazing (as is book 3)

+1

Just finished season 3 last night, and it's as amazing as the first two. I'm looking forward to Season 4.... although I wonder how many more British actors/actresses are there left to case :)

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Game of Thrones Season 6: Which Dead Character Will Ian McShane Resurrect?

In the sparse realm of Game of Thrones spoilers, it seems we’ve had an unexpected windfall. Ian McShane, who will have a small but important role in the HBO drama’s upcoming sixth season, recently told Pop Goes the News that he’ll be involved in the resurrection of a (most likely) dead character.

“I am responsible for bringing somebody back that you think you’re never going to see again. I’ll leave it at that,” he told the site.

Source: TVLine.com (13 hours ago)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
its going to be interesting to watch the final two seasons- as there are no books to gauge the story

the resurrected character *should* be female, but I digress :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Please....DO NOT tell me who this might be! I've only watched the first 4 seasons. I don't subscribe to HBO and am waiting for Season 5 to get released on Blu-ray this coming March 2016.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
There's been talk for a few seasons now that Ned Stark will be resurrected. I wonder if they finally going to do it now...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Please....DO NOT tell me who this might be! I've only watched the first 4 seasons. I don't subscribe to HBO and am waiting for Season 5 to get released on Blu-ray this coming March 2016.

There's been talk for a few seasons now that Ned Stark will be resurrected. I wonder if they finally going to do it now...

so much for John's request ;)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Johnny, I'm talking the books not the series - have no fear :)

ps. the 5th season is perhaps the best!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny, I'm talking the books not the series - have no fear :)

ps. the 5th season is perhaps the best!

Cool and thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing