Ampzilla 2000 mono block amps

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I have rolled many amps through for the Martin Logan CLS. They are a difficult load to at best. While others I could push to clipping at will or push them harder than I felt comfortable with, the Ampzilla 2000 take it like a walk in the park. They have power and current to spare. All the while, providing speed and headroom with musical clarity. I can't say enough good things about this amps. They got more bass out of the CLS than any other amp I've ever used. Now pushing my Prodigy's, they make dynamic a part of everyday listening.

POWER OUTPUT
16 Ohms - minimum 150 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
8 Ohms - minimum 300 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
4 Ohms - minimum 500 watts 20Hz to 20kHz

Total T.H.D. & I.M. Distortion
4 to 16 Ohms less than .05% at any power level up to rated
at any frequency or combination of frequencies between 20Hz and 20kHz.

Input Impedance and Sensitivity
1 volt R.M.S. across 50kohms for 300 watts into 8 ohms on the unbalanced input.
(note: the impedance value can be adjusted to any value up to 1 megohm-consult the factory)
+/- 1 volt R.M.S. across +/- 70kohms for 300 watts into 8 ohms on the balanced input.
Input selector switch for balanced or unbalanced

Frequency response and power bandwidth at rated power
8 ohms - better than +/- .2 dB 20Hz to 20kHz
4 ohms - better than +/- .3 dB 20Hz to 20kHz

Stability
100 % stable into any load angle 0 to 90 degrees,
capacitive or inductive, regardless of waveshape

Damping factor
Greater than 250 at 20Hz

Noise
Better than -120dB relative to full rated power

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Has anybody seen James Borgino(sp?)! I remember the great American Sound Company. i am sure he is around somewhere. I think I saw a picture of him at a hi-fi show.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Yes James, From SAE, GAS, SUMO and now Spread Spectrum Technologies. I had an email from him just a few days ago. What can you say? He is James, the one and only.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I once had a Sumo Polaris Mosfet amp. I paired it with the Counterpoint SA 7.1. I had good memories of this tandem. I recall there was even an amp called 'Son of Ampzilla'. I wonder if there were other 'siblings'. LOL

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I saw Bongiorno at T.H.E Show and had a chance to talk with him. Unfortunately his years of listening at ear splitting levels like using 9 (yes nine) stacked Ampzilla 2a's to run two pairs of Magnepan back in the 80's at levels sufficient to get him evicted, have left him with a serious hearing deficit. Amazingly, he is still able to play the ivories beautifully.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I never built one of them, I spent a few hours looking at the Ampzilla schematics published in the Popular Electronics. But the review of the Ampzilla 2000 power amplifier Anthony H. Cordesman in the audiophile voice, is a reference in amplifier reviewing - unexaggerated, methodical, clear, factual and entertaining. I quote one of his key sentences:

"It is dangerous to generalize about amplifier timbre when the speaker and listening room do so much to dominate the actual sound, but amplifiers do have a timbre."

I also learned a lot from his excellent review for The Absolute Sound of a great speaker that was fast forgotten - the Krell LAT1000.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing