How would you like to be marketed to in audio?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi guys. The title says it all. What form of marketing does it work on you if any?

Search ads? Do you ever click on any of the sponsored ads that show up on top or on the side?
Banner ads? Do you ever care about the targeted banner ads that advertise products or dealers in your area?
Magazine advertising?
Company web site content and style? If so, what do you like and what don't you like?
Radio ads?

Yes, I am trying to get some free data from as we form our (Madrona) marketing program :). So help a poor guy, will you? :D I am getting besieged by the salespeople from all of the above and would love to have some data points from the membership.

Love to have any and all feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I think audio forums are really powerful. People get influenced by the gear they read about as well as the people that write about what they own. Next in line would be audio reviews and random google searches for brands. Finally, IMHO, word of mouth is the best advertising around.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
To paraphrase, It's not the medium, it's the message. One of the local high end shops has an online advertising system that seems to follow me around the internet and put up clickable ads everywhere I go. I rarely click them because the five or six words they get before I'm not looking anymore seldom motivate me to do so. So they can track me on the internet and get in front of me at numerous points, but they don't know me well enough. That's the tough part. You have to know your audience really well and understand what will motivate them to click the ad. Or you have to very clearly understand and define who you are and find the audience that will respond to your message. Either way, it's about messaging, and it is not easy. That's why people have entire careers doing this stuff.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I can honestly say that I never read any banner ads or search ads. Your own web site should be powerful. In my business I ask people to register either on my website or after a visit to my office. I get everyone's email address and every month I send out an email blast to everyone registered regarding any of my specials or new procedures or new product etc. I send it out via www.constantcontact.com. This is extremely effective and has enhanced my business. Have a look at all of the different templates they offer

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
99% of my business comes from referrals or the internet.

(1) Pay someone whatever it takes to get better than a first rate web site.
(2) if you know how, do the tricks necessary to make sure you are found on web searches without paying google clicks
(3) if you know how, set up your site so that you are always near or at the top for google clocks (I can recommend someone who is great at all of the first three and very reasonably priced)
(4) start marketing to the top interior designers and decorators and home builders, Bring them to your store and serve them lunch or wine or ....

There is a company here started by a sales guy from another (now out of business) local audio shop probably 10 to 15 years ago. He got funding and opened a stereo and home theater store and sort of plodded along. His (incredibly attractive and incredibly intelligent) wife joined him some time later and she spent 100% of her time calling on decorators, builders, etc and TOTALLY transformed their business. (They paid off their investors VERY quickly) Much (most) of their current business is home automation. There web site is dominated by their portfolio of business. (AtlantaHomeTheater.com).

If you are in the "product" business, then place banner ads. If you are in the solution business, see the above.

Just my $.02

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Create a seperate subforum for sponsors. In that forum they can post special offers exclusive for WBF members :)

Also, forum members can post (legitimate) comments about the excellent level of service provided by the sponsors and about how good their product is. Word of mouth recommendations from respected members based on real experience will carry more weight than any amount of banner ads

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For me one of the most important aspects of marketing is the quality of the seller and the excellence of its support. I would never buy a product from a guy I do not like or do not trust. A fast and friendly answer to any email or phone call is of great importance for me. I also appreciate seeing photos of installed systems of happy customers.

I read reviews mainly for entertainment and information. A well written review, that includes detail about the equipment, but also shows that the reviewer shares some of my preferences in sound quality prepares me to consider more seriously a new product.

I share the taste for lunch and wine tasting with audioguy.

BTW, your quick reaction to my post about Windows/Mac differences motivated me seriously to buy an USB Alpha, even without free lunches ... :)

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
Hi guys. The title says it all. What form of marketing does it work on you if any?

Love to have any and all feedback on what works and what doesn't.

> Search ads? Do you ever click on any of the sponsored ads that show up on top or on the side?

Yes if they are relevant to my interest. (Usually, they are not.)

> Banner ads? Do you ever care about the targeted banner ads that advertise products or dealers in
your area?

Yes. I notice.

> Magazine advertising?

Online magazine maybe. I haven't looked at ads in print magazine for at least two years.

> Company web site content and style? If so, what do you like and what don't you like?

It can make a big difference. Information matters to me more than glitz.

> Radio ads?

No.

Bill

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Amir, since you are an excellent photographer, I just have one thing to say. Whatever you do, don't ever skimp on the pictures. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hear you Jack. I have been spending all night actually writing an article on the history and design of our theater and am stuffing it with lots of pictures. The rest of the web site definitely needs more. I put a bunch in last week but more is going to be going there. We are just finishing a local commercial job (Mercedes Dealership) with a massive video wall and such and I have been talking lots of pictures of that to upload and an article to write about it too. Oh boy, so much to do, so little time :).

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
To paraphrase, It's not the medium, it's the message. One of the local high end shops has an online advertising system that seems to follow me around the internet and put up clickable ads everywhere I go. I rarely click them because the five or six words they get before I'm not looking anymore seldom motivate me to do so. So they can track me on the internet and get in front of me at numerous points, but they don't know me well enough. That's the tough part. You have to know your audience really well and understand what will motivate them to click the ad. Or you have to very clearly understand and define who you are and find the audience that will respond to your message. Either way, it's about messaging, and it is not easy. That's why people have entire careers doing this stuff.

Tim

Very well said and your own reaction and experience clearly demonstrates how important the message is. Adding to this, in today's market it's the message, not the pitch.

99% of my business comes from referrals or the internet.
There is a company here started by a sales guy from another (now out of business) local audio shop probably 10 to 15 years ago. He got funding and opened a stereo and home theater store and sort of plodded along. His (incredibly attractive and incredibly intelligent) wife joined him some time later and she spent 100% of her time calling on decorators, builders, etc and TOTALLY transformed their business. (They paid off their investors VERY quickly) Much (most) of their current business is home automation. There web site is dominated by their portfolio of business. (AtlantaHomeTheater.com).

If you are in the "product" business, then place banner ads. If you are in the solution business, see the above.

Just my $.02

The importance audioguy highlights here in the target market and referrals is right on the money IMO.

Adding my own perspective:

This is a very specialized area of the market where the products you sell are more part of your tool set than what you sell. Your value lies in providing a solution, an experience, and as Keith Yates likes to say, "creating goosebumps" ;). I would argue that establishing and strongly affirming the identity and personality of such a company is much more important than worrying to much about how many views a banner add gets. Communicating the right message to the right people is your goal.

I suspect most of your customers start as secondary sales (=referrals) based on a description provided by a previous customer, hopeful customer, designer/decorator/contractor or an enthusiast familiar with your business. So here's a slightly unsettling revelation...
You will almost never be the one making the first contact a customer has with your company. :eek:
IMO, the best means to improve the quality of the introduction you are given is to create a very clear and consistent message affirming what you do, what solution/service you provide, and what is of top importance in your operation. The marketing world would badge the simplest version of this as the elevator pitch which everyone should know, down to the guys pulling wire. Everything else builds from there, where conflicting messages are immediate steps back in marketing efforts.

IMO, your marketing should be as much about providing extensive detail for your customers to research as they make the decision to work with you as it is about educating and familiarizing your company with those who your potential customers will seek advice from. Along these lines, your marketing/advertising would want to communicate why you chose to use a product rather than arbitrary announcements of "We now carry... XYZ whatchamacallit."

I hear you Jack. I have been spending all night actually writing an article on the history and design of our theater and am stuffing it with lots of pictures. The rest of the web site definitely needs more. I put a bunch in last week but more is going to be going there. We are just finishing a local commercial job (Mercedes Dealership) with a massive video wall and such and I have been talking lots of pictures of that to upload and an article to write about it too. Oh boy, so much to do, so little time :).

That sounds like a great read, but along the lines of the above, I would suggest that be a "3rd click" article... I.E. first someone clicks on the interesting picture, 2nd they read a highlight/simplification of the above, and 3rd they can read the full saga you are writing.

Finally, I'd also consider that marketing/advertising approaches are received very differently by different age groups and generations. While there are plenty of exceptions, on the average, blatant/obvious advertising is received more and more negatively by younger generations. Many prefer to only be presented with the full barrage of info and sales pitch after engaging and expressing interest. It's that subtle difference of "We offer this solution you need to have!" vs. "We solved this problem. If you've had this problem too, click here to see just what we do."

While all of the above is fairly apparent, and hardly revolutionary, I've found the clarification and continued re-focusing on such things help greatly in saving ourselves from tangent and distracting efforts which don't serve to further build the identity of the company and communicate the desired message.

As Tim opened with... It's the message, not the medium, where in this case it's all about the experience.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great post Mark. Much appreciated. The theater piece is currently a two-click thing with only one click written :). But I think I know how to add the third click to it. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Great post Mark. Much appreciated. The theater piece is currently a two-click thing with only one click written :). But I think I know how to add the third click to it. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Another thing that is really critical to designing your messaging, Amir, is knowing who you are and who your competitors are. That may seem obvious, but it's not. When you first answer that question in your head, it's likely that you've come up with an answer that is WAY too broad. Define your space (who you serve and what you do) as narrowly as you dare. Eliminate all the competitors who are not in that narrow space, then scrutinize the ones that remain. Read everything you can about them. Know their products, services, and customers, how they position themselves in the competitive landscape. Your goal is to find a way to clearly differentiate yourself from them in a way that is beneficial and appealing to your target customers.

Now get that down to a short, memorable sentence. There's the heart of your message. If you get this thing reduced to such a fine Roux that it is more about what Madrona means than what it sells, you win.

Tim

PS: The good news is that most companies are notoriously bad at this. Scared to death of leaving a dollar on the table, they try to be too many things to too many people, ending up with no clear message/position with a LOT of dollars left on the table.

Mark is clearly an exception to that rule. Hey, Mark, if I come out of retirement will you be my customer? :) T

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Another thing that is really critical to designing your messaging, Amir, is knowing who you are and who your competitors are. That may seem obvious, but it's not.

Yeah, Amir's biggest competitor is right across the street! Make yourself different. Give your customers something unique!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Yeah, Amir's biggest competitor is right across the street! Make yourself different. Give your customers something unique!

It looks like you're outgunned in the local audiophile market, so audioguy's suggestion of calling decorators, builders, etc. makes a lot of sense.

PS- Your product line is pretty boring. For some sizzle, I'd bring in Vivid & TAD speakers and Spectral electronics. For your custom install business, Bryston and PMC.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing