Is there a wireless device to stream from a home av share to a digital output?

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
I've got UPnP AV compatible NAS on my network, and I've like a device that can connect to my network wirelessly and give a toslink digital output for playback in an older AV receiver. It needs to be able to play flac files and handle multichannel. I'd like it to be able to do Netflix too. I looked at the Roku's, but I don't see anything about them working with files shared on the home network.

Thanks,
Clayton

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a complicated and confusing area. FLAC is not supported in UPnP. UPnP servers are supposed to convert compressed formats to PCM and then send it to the client. I looked at your D-Link box spec and it doesn't say anything about FLAC. So I suspect that is a dead-end. Client devices may advertise FLAC but usually that means playing the file locally or over a share from your NAS box (i.e. NOT using its UPnP support). File share typically means crude file names and directories. If that is fine by you, then there may be a number of choices: http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I have used a similar NAS to stream lossless files to an Airport Express, which has a TOSLINK output. But this arrangement is limited to Apple Lossless files and won't work with FLAC.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Hmph... My Integra pre-amp is handling them just fine thru the UPnP. I know it's going through that because when I add more files I have to go into the admin controlls for the NAS and hit refresh to scan in the new files it's sharing through the UPnP admin page before they show up on the Integra's UI. The NAS I'm using is actually a little older than the one I linked.

claytonJ2

May 25, 2011
Bothell, WA
Yes, I'm able to play FLAC files created via dbPowerAmp and the free test files downloaded from http://www.2l.no/ (Click the pull down in the upper right and select the test bench files (user and password required to download files is written near top of the page in red). These files are hosted on the NAS device. The administration page for the NAS is reached by going to its local ip adress (http://192.168.1.8) and clicking the Advanced tab and then clicking on UPnP AV to setup the service.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing