Weiss Saracon

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The same goes for PCM > DSD. Same results. Don't waste your time. You'll be better results from Audiogate.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I don't own the required dac any so the Lite version wouldn't work anyway. Of course unless someone wants to convert ~1.7 TB for me. :)

You can buy a cheap MR1 or 2 off eBay and get into Audiogate that way. Still would be cheaper than Saracon.... Hell, even an MR2000s would be cheaper than Saracon! (or my labor costs!)

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
You can buy a cheap MR1 or 2 off eBay and get into Audiogate that way. Still would be cheaper than Saracon.... Hell, even an MR2000s would be cheaper than Saracon! (or my labor costs!)

There's a Korg MR-1 on eBay going for $100. That's pretty cheap alright! :)

o0o

Dec 6, 2015
Bruce B

I'm wondering if you'll take an analog output of your very best sounding DSD device and record it in 96kHz or 192kHz PCM to see what kind of filtering actually happens on hardware end, how will it stand against Saracon in terms of frequency graphs?

I do understand that it's sort of comparing apples to oranges, but it's still a very interesting comparison to make.

Regards,
Dmitry

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce B

I'm wondering if you'll take an analog output of your very best sounding DSD device and record it in 96kHz or 192kHz PCM to see what kind of filtering actually happens on hardware end, how will it stand against Saracon in terms of frequency graphs?

I do understand that it's sort of comparing apples to oranges, but it's still a very interesting comparison to make.

Regards,
Dmitry

Most of the hardware pieces I use pass a signal all the way up to 100k.

o0o

Dec 6, 2015
Wow, nice gear, Bruce! :cool:

Btw did you ever try Super Audio CD Decoder for foobar2000? It's a very convenient way to listen to PS3-ripped ISOs & regular DSD files on a Windows machine. It provides PCM stream along with direct DSD playback. Also happens to be an extremely convenient tool to convert DSD to AAC (or any other format), in case one needs.

Quality wise I find it on par with AudioGate app.

Mr TAD

Aug 6, 2017
Sweden
I love Saracon for strictly PCM work, but there are other, more efficient and better sounding SRC out there for DSD.

[...]

We worked for months with HDtracks in choosing the best DSD->PCM conversions for all the SACD rips we were doing. We tried AudioGate, Saracon, SBM, Pyramix and even DiscWelder. In every case, the Saracon converters just seemed to take the life out of every file.

Hi guys

I'm late to the party, but still want to post my findings.

Bruce, you are right about Saracon, it's a great SRC for PCM, but as you have pointed out, Pyramix better preserve the benefits of DSD-recordings when resampling to 192kHz.

When comparing Saracon and Pyramix I find the latter to have:

- Better phantom center stability - it's actually quite audible

- More dynamic and 'DSD like' low-end dynamics and presentation - I never thought it was possible to retain that going to PCM, but Pyramix does a great job

- Slightly more vivid and dynamic mid-range - Saracon make vocals a tad flatter and enhance the upper-mid just a tiny bit

- The stereo panorama has better integrity - both in terms of depth and width

If I let myself use two HiFi-terms, I would say that the Pyramix SRC retains more of the playfulness and vividness of DSD-recordings.

Interesting indeed.

Thanks for pointing out the difference in DSD to PCM SRCs. Appreciated!

Cheers
Fred

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi guys

I'm late to the party, but still want to post my findings.

Bruce, you are right about Saracon, it's a great SRC for PCM, but as you have pointed out, Pyramix better preserve the benefits of DSD-recordings when resampling to 192kHz.

Cheers
Fred

Much appreciated Fred. You're preaching the gospel!!
The other sample rate converter I've used in the past is the Korg Audiogate. I mostly used it for metadata tagging, but the conversions were decent. Now, Pyramix has stepped up their game of late and the metadata tagging is much better.
Thanks for sharing your findings!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing