Otari MX-5050 4 channel deck questions

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Bruce,

My Otari MX-5050 is a four channel deck. There is no model number/sr tag on mine as there is on the one in the link. It just says MX-5050 on the front. Question, are all MX-5050, 4 channel decks "BQII" or is this a designation to a particular model?

Is the 4 channel worth more? The link has one at a higher price than I would have expected.

I'm cleaning out my extra decks and I'm thinking this one may go. For you experts... would you keep this or a Technics 1520 (for playback only)?

The last time I a/b these decks the Otari had a cleaner more 3D sound than the Technics. The Technics is easier to thread and looks cooler. I've only played 1/4 track tapes on the Otari. Can it play 1/2 track tapes since there are 4 channel outputs? If I remember correctly, the Orari has an internal EQ switch to play Tape Projects tapes- it's NAB/IEC selectable (somewhere).

Thanks for the help.

Peter

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTARI-MX-5050-BQII-4-CHANNEL-REEL-REEL-DECK-/320678891291?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4aa9f38f1b

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Peter.... not all MX5050 decks came with the 4 channel option. Most of the decks were 2-track with a seperate 4-track playback head which you could switch in by lifting the head cover. You could get these with just about any option you want. I think I've even seen 1/2" 8-track models.
Yes, the "BQII" designates this as a 4-track machine. I believe the 1/4" 2-track with 4-track playback head is the more desirable deck to have now.
The Technics deck would be more desirable to audophiles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing