DMA360 Series 2--SDR4000 SL--DMC30SS Series 2 First Impressions

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had the opportunity of hosting fellow member and friend Mobiusman over the past two days as he was in town for his daughter's graduation from Stanford Business School. Yesterday we took off for Berkeley to visit Music Lover's for an audition of the new gear and I must admit we were simply amazed at the sound of this system. Jae (the owner) who I know, was nice enough to set the gear up in his large SOTA listening room played through a pair of Wilson Sasha speakers. For those who either don't know, aren't familiar with or just don't like the sound of Spectral with Wilson, I say you owe yourself another audition. Jae was quick to point out that this new gear arrived but a few days earlier and was being broken in and said not to expect too much. Boy was he mistaken. The soundstage was staggering. In fact I had to listen many times to believe what I was hearing. I just was amazed at the height depth and width of the soundstage.

We were played a compilation of some of Jae's favorite music and honestly some 2 hours later we felt we had to leave for fear of overstaying our welcome as the sound was just that good. Several months ago Jae had played the DMA-260's and it was equally impressive however the combination of all 3 pieces of Spectral gear added so much more to the overall sound. Although far from inexpensive, this system by today's standards was not too terribly bad and it rocked the room. Even though not fully broken in the components were amazing to my ears. The CD player is only Redbook but IIRC does upsample to 24/192. We were told that Spectral is working on separate components for a CD transport as well aas a separate DAC. There was also no input on the back of the player for purposes of using the DAC only for a computer based server. We were told that this was one reason for the planned separate DAC

From what I understand the preamp has MSRP of $12K
amps have MSRP of $20K
CD player has MSRP of $20K
Sashas have MSRP of $28K

IMO this is one system that would provide for years of enjoyment

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I had the opportunity of hosting fellow member and friend Mobiusman over the past two days as he was in town for his daughter's graduation from Stanford Business School. Yesterday we took off for Berkeley to visit Music Lover's for an audition of the new gear and I must admit we were simply amazed at the sound of this system. Jae (the owner) who I know, was nice enough to set the gear up in his large SOTA listening room played through a pair of Wilson Sasha speakers. For those who either don't know, aren't familiar with or just don't like the sound of Spectral with Wilson, I say you owe yourself another audition. Jae was quick to point out that this new gear arrived but a few days earlier and was being broken in and said not to expect too much. Boy was he mistaken. The soundstage was staggering. In fact I had to listen many times to believe what I was hearing. I just was amazed at the height depth and width of the soundstage.

We were played a compilation of some of Jae's favorite music and honestly some 2 hours later we felt we had to leave for fear of overstaying our welcome as the sound was just that good. Several months ago Jae had played the DMA-260's and it was equally impressive however the combination of all 3 pieces of Spectral gear added so much more to the overall sound. Although far from inexpensive, this system by today's standards was not too terribly bad and it rocked the room. Even though not fully broken in the components were amazing to my ears. The CD player is only Redbook but IIRC does upsample to 24/192. We were told that Spectral is working on separate components for a CD transport as well aas a separate DAC. There was also no input on the back of the player for purposes of using the DAC only for a computer based server. We were told that this was one reason for the planned separate DAC

From what I understand the preamp has MSRP of $12K
amps have MSRP of $20K
CD player has MSRP of $20K
Sashas have MSRP of $28K

IMO this is one system that would provide for years of enjoyment

Say hello to your new equipment :)

Steve Williams

wasn't it President Kennedy who said , "let me say this about that"

Simply put, for my ears this was an amazing system and I never would have believed that the Sashas would have thrown such a huge soundstage. The dynamics, timber, decay, bass etc etc were all there with nothing really lacking. This is not an inexpensive system however based on many threads here regarding the out of control rising prices in the high end industry, this entire system can be had for far less than many high end components.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve,
Can you give us a few more details about the listening room?

Steve Williams

A rectangular room and quite large. I am guessing when I say it was ~ 15 x 30 with a high ceiling, and very well treated.

When I heard the Sophia lll's in that room several months ago the speakers were on the long wall which I thought odd but nonetheless it was very, very good sound with the earlier Spectral gear. Yesterday the sshas were set up along the short wall ans wow, what a difference. Certainly Sasha vs Sophia was a reason as well but honestly this system was nothing short of spectacular

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Funny, reading all those other threads on expensive equipment, I was thinking the other day what would I buy if I had $100K to fork over right now... Basically, I would get the 30SS Series 2, the 360's Series 2, the Berkeley Alpha DAC, a computer server + Berkeley USB bridge, some sort of $20K analog rig, and the Magico Q3s ~= $94K; leaves room for some cables :)

I'll make a point to audition the 30SS Series 2

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Funny, reading all those other threads on expensive equipment, I was thinking the other day what would I buy if I had $100K to fork over right now... Basically, I would get the 30SS Series 2, the 360's Series 2, the Berkeley Alpha DAC, a computer server + Berkeley USB bridge, some sort of $20K analog rig, and the Magico Q3s ~= $94K; leaves room for some cables :)

I'll make a point to audition the 30SS Series 2

That's a path I am quietly considering. No analog for me so I would have gone toward he Evolution Acoustics MM3. Cables would have been .. I don't want to derail the thread :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think there's been an explosion in the high end since about 2007, with tremendous advances in the reproduction of sound, regardless of price or value.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks for sharing your comments around the Spectral line, I understand that it also does great things with Avalon speakers as well... Neil Patel used that configuration at his place some years back.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
all I can say is it was an amazing system

I hope Jae gets to demo with a top analog source one day for you - and be sure to have your checkbook with you :) BTW, this Ortofon A90 I just installed the other day is the Spectral of cartridges to me - dead neutral, extremely fast, detailed with a huge soundstage, incredible rhythm and dynamic contrast, simply stunning...

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
As a long time Spectral fan, as long as it had some tubes somewhere in the path, I must say that Spectral clearly has shifted their sonic goals to a slightly warmer, although no less exacting sound. One has to understand just how much of a tube guy Steve is to fully appreciate the magnitude of his accolades. The bass that was coming out of the Sasha's was simply amazing, and at fairly high levels I might say. Also, as Steve alluded to, it was striking how on some of the more complex arrangements how there were very clear and focused images up to 4 feet above the Sasha's, while on other selections the image stayed between the speakers with nothing above.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I hope Jae gets to demo with a top analog source one day for you - and be sure to have your checkbook with you :) BTW, this Ortofon A90 I just installed the other day is the Spectral of cartridges to me - dead neutral, extremely fast, detailed with a huge soundstage, incredible rhythm and dynamic contrast, simply stunning...

Which is a Lyra :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can buy that. So what's your favorite Lyra?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I can buy that. So what's your favorite Lyra?

The Titan i :) Sounds really good with the Allnic or Doshi phono sections. 'Course I never heard the very limited edition Olympos, based on the original Parnassus. I think Mike Lavigne though had/has an Olympos though.

Interesting thing is that Lyra made cartridges for other people before launching their own lines such as Spectral, Audioquest and the Tsurugi.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I hope Jae gets to demo with a top analog source one day for you
I've been in that room many, many times, including last year when the owner of Spectral & KOJ were their putting on a demo/seminar about their gear. I was in that room again today. Besides the TT, to which Steve made reference, they also have a Revox RTR.

Also of note: in the same room they have the top of the line dCS gear but, as Steve & Russ made mention, it is the Spectral CD player which sits at the mountain top.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing