Price, Value, Worth and COGS

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
A subset of value's constituent parts can be defined objectively. There is an agreement that price: performance ratio makes up a portion of the definition of value. Though tolerance to price is subjective, price itself and the performance of individual components can be measured objectively. One problem is finding a consistent public source for standardized measurements. Once performance has been determined, the rest is a cost/benefit analysis. One positive side effect of depending on objective measurements is that there are relatively very few products that have been measured in a consistent way, thereby substantially narrowing product choices and leaving a manageable heap of information for consumers to sort through.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Mahalo=Thank you.

To make it easy for people who read this forum to find.

I'm sorry, I didn't make my point clearly I guess. What does the system I'm currently listening to have to do with the broad issues around price/performance, or for that matter, most of what we discuss here?

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm sorry, I didn't make my point clearly I guess. What does the system I'm currently listening to have to do with the broad issues around price/performance, or for that matter, most of what we discuss here?

Tim

There are two reasons for listing one's system - other posters can have an idea of our preferences just by looking at our systems, and most audiophiles are curious!

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We should all be named George. ;) ;) ;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There are two reasons for listing one's system - other posters can have an idea of our preferences just by looking at our systems, and most audiophiles are curious!

Good reasons.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No one is required to list their system on WBF. However, I do appreciate it when people list their system so you have some idea what they are listening to.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hmmm...looking in my profile. I don't see where to put the system...

Tim

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Vivid V1.5's
JL Audio F110's
Coda Amplifier 15.0
Jeff Rowland Capri Preamp
Weiss Dac2
Blue Circle power conditioner
Analysis Plus cables
Real Traps room treatment with some DIY bass traps

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So I was just reading a Concert Fidelity phono preamp review and they took detailed photos of the inside.

Is this really "COGS?" ---$14,000 sticker. Kudos for allowing these shots to be posted to the public.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue55/concert_fidelity.htm

(if it's not cool to post links to other sites, please let me know and I will edit this post)

It's the 80 year old, pre-nuclear age, 99.9999999999999999999999% silver wire :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Well if they priced it at $500 , it would not have been considered "lithe" and "musical" .. It would be "decent for its price". By bringing he price to this level the expectations biases kicked in ... ;)...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard the Jasmine phono preamp is the cat's meow and costs around $500, new, on ebay. It has beat the almighty Manley Steelhead by some folks i know.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I've heard the Jasmine phono preamp is the cat's meow and costs around $500, new, on ebay. It has beat the almighty Manley Steelhead by some folks i know.

Unlikely that a magazine would evaluate it and state this conclusion ... It is after all build at a "price point" :rolleyes:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
I'm sorry for asking so late in the piece...I hardly ever log in but now I am...but what is COGS????

(have enjoyed the thread none-the-less)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cost of Goods Sold :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So I was just reading a Concert Fidelity phono preamp review and they took detailed photos of the inside.

Is this really "COGS?" ---$14,000 sticker. Kudos for allowing these shots to be posted to the public.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue55/concert_fidelity.htm

(if it's not cool to post links to other sites, please let me know and I will edit this post)

Thanks for posting the link for such an interesting review - the critical point is not only price, it is Marshall Nack's conclusion:

"However, dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles are likely to have issues. On the audio report card grades slip a notch from my pace-setting ASR Basis Exclusive. On the other hand, the ASR doesn't have anything near the realism of the CF." The real question seems to be what is the CORS (cost of realism sold), not the COGS.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks for posting the link for such an interesting review - the critical point is not only price, it is Marshall Nack's conclusion:

"However, dyed-in-the-wool audiophiles are likely to have issues. On the audio report card grades slip a notch from my pace-setting ASR Basis Exclusive. On the other hand, the ASR doesn't have anything near the realism of the CF." The real question seems to be what is the CORS (cost of realism sold), not the COGS.

Indeed it is an interesting question. i personally could not buy such a unit---but i'm sure others would disagree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing