eBay Otari MX5050BII 2 that may not be what it said in the description

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
There were other members who bought an Otari tape machine from eBay at a good price with the seller claiming it is well taken care of machine but find out it will cost a lot more to get it to proper operating condition.

Here's an ad with a title "Unused MINT" Otrai with BIN price of $1870 (it had no buyer at BIN $2000 last week):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Otari-50-50-BII...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20ba1dd7ea

Furthermore, the ad states:

"It is ABSOLUTELY MINT
BRAND NEW

Used to master only 1 project when it was first bought,
it has had no more than 15 hours of tape run on it.

It is in brand new condition,
a fact that can be confirmed by contacting Reel Pro Sound,
the shop that checked the deck to be sure that it was in perfect shape and to make sure it was lubricated properly.
Reel Pro is one of the top facilities in the USA that specializes only in reel to reel decks."

First of all, if it was used even on one project, it is USED and not BRAND NEW.

For a machine that had "no more than 15 hours of tape run on it," the first photo shows massive razor marks on its headcover worthy of editing the entire Beetles Abby Road tape collection.

Secondly, the serial number with 183XXX tell us that it was made in 1983. I don't think the sell knew how to interprete the Otari numbering. For any Otaris made in 1983 and used only 15 hours would have frozen pinch roller pivot almost thrity years later - a common issue on all Otari tape machines due to strange lub they used that hardens over time.

Let's say, you should stay away from this one.

If I was Reel Pro, I would not want to associate with this seller...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yikes! That deck looks FAR from being mint or in brand new condition. This guy needs to put his crack pipe down and take a close look at this deck. It looks well used to me.

There are so many people who sell things as "new" or "mint" when in fact they are neither. I specially like the ads where they state something is perfect except for the big dents, gouges, scratches, etc. Sometimes they admit something is broken and needs repair, but they still list it as "mint." As always, buyer beware.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
That's a pretty beat-up deck. Unfortunately people that are selling reel to reels now are preying on the innocent? audiophile. The same can be said about anyone selling prerecorded tape.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Try as I might, I can't see any scratches in those tiny small pictures. Which image are you all looking at? All the ones I see show clean and scuff free casing.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amir-It's the very first picture to the left. You can see where the cutting block is and it looks like a blind man was splicing tape.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The first photo looks like a picture he has stolen from somewhere else. It has a white/staged background and has a mark of a photosharing site the rest lack. He probably took it from another listing, not realizing the big scratch on it.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Agree with Amir's assessment. At first, I thought there was something strange to have the first photo with a single Akai type hub and the rest of the photos showed original BII type Otari hubs. Considering the first photo has the usual eBay water mark symbol on lower right corner and none on the other photos, it's two different machines.

Just goes to show you...you never know what you gonna get until you get it from eBay.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Yeah... I'm confused. The first photo is not the same as the others. Too bad it doesn't have a "hour" meter.

Well Bruce, having the hour meter on master recorder in most cases will not be the sure thing to represent the machine's actual use hours.

Studer A80 family of master recorders can have their runtime hour meter disconnected during operatin and show very low hours.
Studer A810s' runtime meter can be reset manually or will be reset when the MPU board battery is changed
Sony APR 5000 series machines' runtime hour meter can be modified to run backwards... getting younger by the hour.

Thus even with the machines with runtime meter showing very low hours...by the time it gets to you, you don't know what you have still...

On the other hand, one can generally look for wears on tape lift guides and of course the heads if they are original to gauge its usage history. (It reminds me of my very first car - used Ford Galexy 500 from the used car lot with low mileage... but with worn out brake paddle.) ;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing