Velodyne Optimum-12s..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I run a pair of these little guys and they are wonderful especially considerting the price. They are very tuneful--none of that one-note bass and have taken my system to an entirely different level.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Yes I believe they are and my room is 16Wx30Dx10H. I have the subs just barely on and they pressurize the room with no trouble.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm sure they are good subwoofers if they can fill a room that size.

About 17 years ago when I went sub shopping, I compared a M&K to a servo model Velodyne. The Velodyne went deeper (was 30% more money) but the bass was colder, a little more one note like. The push-pull M&K seemed to have tone, detail and warmth with acoustic bass unmatched by the servo controlled unit. The warmth was not because of slowness, it was just more accurate in my opinion. In that era of subs, the servo units went into the shop a lot with servo failures. I'm glad I stayed away from servos, things could be very different now though.

The advances in subwoofers because of Home Theater market must be impressive, but I have not taken the time to listen to any of the new ones.

es34, is there anyway you could provide us with a review of the subs?

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Sealed box main speakers have significant advantages for use with subwoofers. Their phase shift at the bottom of the bass range is much less than a ported speaker which certainly makes it more likely that one will achieve a satisfactory blend with a subwoofer. Their slower rolloff also can give a wider acceptable tolerance for non-optimal crossover settings on the subs. If you already have some ported speakers that you like, you could simply plug the port with a towel. This is entirely reversable and will not void the warranty.

I'm still reading the review, but it looks to have some very good information in it.

I don't know about that towel stuffing suggestion though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing