Any Vac owners around?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I just picked up a Phi 200 to try out for awhile. I've always wanted to own a Vac instrument. The reviews really are spectacular on his most recent gear, and Kevin Hayes seems like one of our hobbies good guys.

KeithR

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have a pair of mono block Vac 140's and a 70/70 stereo amp. All are dressed in 4 pair of 300B's and 4 6sn7 driver tubes each. They sound wonderful when the tubes are right. Kevin does a great job building and designing his equipment.
The 300B sound reminds me of sitting in a local movie theater back in the 50's and 60's. The amps have a midrange to die for and hopefully next year I can have them upgraded and be finished with them.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I have an integrated phi beta 110. Bought it 5 years ago and am completely satisfied. First rate materials and sound. Have had the opportunity to meet Kevin Hayes. A true gentleman.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I have an integrated phi beta 110. Bought it 5 years ago and am completely satisfied. First rate materials and sound. Have had the opportunity to meet Kevin Hayes. A true gentleman.

Funny. I've wanted one for the past three years but they never come up!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Kevin really is one of the good guys. Excellent products. Excellent Support.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I use mine to run my Von Scweikert VR-9's. The synergy is amazing.

If you can get your hands on one of these amps, buy it. Not too many out there.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Holli,

Great to meet another VR-9 owner :) My brother used VAC 300.1s with his 9s and is now using Statement 450s with his 11s.

Cheers,

Jack

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I can only imagine what that set-up sounds like. I got to find an excuse to go to the Philippines.

Let me know if you are out this way, I would love get together. Albert has dropped by the house a few times and I hope to see him during CES.

Regards

Rodney

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That would be great Rodney. I'll be sure to drop you a line if ever I'm in your parts.

Boracay Island is a pretty good excuse to take a vacation here. Voted 2nd best in the world. Bring the wife. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I haven't heard the 450s with 9s, only 11s so the comparison I'll make are limited to a pair of 300.1s run as mono blocks with M1.2 and M2.2 Lamm Hybrids. The 300.1s have got a lot of headroom over the 1.2 Refs which despite doubling up down to 2 ohms. I feel that when the going get's tough, the 1.2s become midrange centric with the 9s where the 1.2s struggle with the VR-9's sealed mid-bass modules. At levels of about 90dB and below I think we've got a bit of yin vs yang. The 300.1s are beautifully lit up. I'm not too fond of the KT88 power tube because there's usually a sheen to the sound when not run in triode mode. The 300.1s are amps that have less of this sheen than any high powered tube amp based on the tube I've heard with VR-9s. The 1.2 Reference is darker in comparison with very clear tone but velvety texture. The M2.2 is tops on bass but doesn't have the liquidity of the 1.2 or the 300.1 monos. While better at control, it's still a shade darker but the velvety texture is diminished. For what I listen a lot to, rock, funk, r&b, neo-soul and tons of electronica, I still go with the 2.2s. With regards to classical music where the 2.2s are only really better on fortissimos, I'd give the nod to the 300.1s. Midrange wise all three amps are highly resolving and very neutral. By that I mean they aren't analytical, just recording and source component dependent. It's really a toss up and in all honesty I could very well live with any of them. As luck would have it I have both the M1.2 and the M2.2 so I run them bi-amped so I get the 1.2's pure Class A liquidity (magnified since they no longer have to deal with bass back emf) with the 2.2's bone rattling bass. Now I don't really know what 300.1s cost. My brother tends to get a bad case of amnesia after he signs the checks ;) ;) ;)

In the end it is no surprise that VRs sound excellent with VAC gear. Kevin and Albert go back a long way and Albert's personal reference for tube electronics has been VAC for at least the past 8 years or so. I'd pit a pair VR-5 Anniversaries with a stereo pair of 300.1s or even a Phi Beta (if one could actually find one) against pretty much anything out there.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't heard the 450s with 9s, only 11s so the comparison I'll make are limited to a pair of 300.1s run as mono blocks with M1.2 and M2.2 Lamm Hybrids. The 300.1s have got a lot of headroom over the 1.2 Refs which despite doubling up down to 2 ohms. I feel that when the going get's tough, the 1.2s become midrange centric with the 9s where the 1.2s struggle with the VR-9's sealed mid-bass modules. At levels of about 90dB and below I think we've got a bit of yin vs yang. The 300.1s are beautifully lit up. I'm not too fond of the KT88 power tube because there's usually a sheen to the sound when not run in triode mode. The 300.1s are amps that have less of this sheen than any high powered tube amp based on the tube I've heard with VR-9s. The 1.2 Reference is darker in comparison with very clear tone but velvety texture. The M2.2 is tops on bass but doesn't have the liquidity of the 1.2 or the 300.1 monos. While better at control, it's still a shade darker but the velvety texture is diminished. For what I listen a lot to, rock, funk, r&b, neo-soul and tons of electronica, I still go with the 2.2s. With regards to classical music where the 2.2s are only really better on fortissimos, I'd give the nod to the 300.1s. Midrange wise all three amps are highly resolving and very neutral. By that I mean they aren't analytical, just recording and source component dependent. It's really a toss up and in all honesty I could very well live with any of them. As luck would have it I have both the M1.2 and the M2.2 so I run them bi-amped so I get the 1.2's pure Class A liquidity (magnified since they no longer have to deal with bass back emf) with the 2.2's bone rattling bass. Now I don't really know what 300.1s cost. My brother tends to get a bad case of amnesia after he signs the checks ;) ;) ;)

In the end it is no surprise that VRs sound excellent with VAC gear. Kevin and Albert go back a long way and Albert's personal reference for tube electronics has been VAC for at least the past 8 years or so. I'd pit a pair VR-5 Anniversaries with a stereo pair of 300.1s or even a Phi Beta (if one could actually find one) against pretty much anything out there.

And I remember one show many years ago when Albert was showing a new speaker line driven by Counterpoint OTLs. (I think the speaker was designed for Counterpoint???)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I do believe Mike got Albert to do some work for him.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks Jack for the detailed comparison. very cool.

My Vac just arrived end of last week, so have been putting it through its paces over the past few days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing