Best Portable Music Player

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I have an iPod which I use with my Westone buds when working out at the gym. Like Amir I do not like being locked into Apple's world, i.e., I do not care for iTunes.

What is the best portable music player that does not begin with an "i"?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Sandisc SANSA is a nice little player.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't think there will be a Zune HD2. The whole effort of building dedicated music players has stopped and they are focused on providing the same experience on Windows Phone. Sadly, I can't recommend that platform relative to its core offering (phone).

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Thanks, Amir. The Zune HD sure looks like a great player. Do you happen to know if it will play flac files?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It will not. FLAC support is problematic for most companies because the IP (patent) situation is very unclear.

caesar

May 30, 2010
... I do not like being locked into Apple's world, i.e., I do not care for iTunes.

What is the best portable music player that does not begin with an "i"?

So I guess you weren't taken by Steve Jobs' "cloud" spiel the other day?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What is the issue regarding usage of FLAC? FLAC is considered to be free for both commercial and non-commercial use, and there are no licensing fees or royalties. See http://flac.sourceforge.net/license.html
An executive once told me, "the most expensive thing is what is given to you for free!" :)

What is free with Flac is the specification and code. Unfortunately there is a thing call patents. You can't wake up and write new code and give it away that does one-click purchasing and not have Amazon knock on your door saying you violated their patent. The law says it doesn't matter that you thought of it on your own. If it steps on a previous patent -- whether you know about it or not -- you still have to pay up. And if you are a company the size of Microsoft, the pay off is usually in large millions of dollars.

Signal processing/compression is an incredibly challenging area when it comes to patents. People come out of woodwork left and right making claims. Before I left Microsoft, I had the displeasure of being involved in an MP3 lawsuit form Lucent that led to a $1.5 Billion dollar settlement! That was reversed later and one patent ruled invalid but just shows you how much liability there is, even though we had fully licensed MP3 from its agent (Thomson). For something like MP3 and MPEG-2, folks take their chances but for a hobbyist format like FLAC? No way....

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
AMir

I know nothing about laws and even less :) about Patent Laws .. Still reading what FLAC is I don't seem to see the problem with its commercial use.. Some more knowledgeable should try to explain but I lean toward a more plebeian explanation: A refusal to give more wind to the free software movement...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
AMir

I know nothing about laws and even less :) about Patent Laws .. Still reading what FLAC is I don't seem to see the problem with its commercial use.. Some more knowledgeable should try to explain but I lean toward a more plebeian explanation: A refusal to give more wind to the free software movement...
Let me give you an example. We designed VC-1 as a next generation video compression format. Like FLAC, we wrote the specification, implemented it in code and license it to others. As a requirement for submission and eventual mandatory status in Blu-ray, we were asked to provide the specifications to a standards org which we did (SMPTE). That led then to a third-party licensing company who did a call for anyone who may have patents which read on it. A dozen companies showed up and after their patents evaluated, they were all deemed essential and become part of the licensing group. Their claim was that they had basic patents that read on any implementation of a transform based compression engine. Indeed, the same patents are part of the pool for MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and VC-1.

Same is potentially true of FLAC. It uses linear prediction to compression data. Such a technique has been used by compression engines before it. I can't tell you if some has or has not patented them. But if I were a betting man, I would say more than one person or company would lay claims against it as soon as a major company with deep pockets implement it.

Open source in general has less of this risk in that if I just write some software it is much less likely that someone has a patent on it. That said, there could be claims there just the same as we have seen from lawsuits from Microsoft and others against open source operating systems.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Same is potentially true of FLAC. It uses linear prediction to compression data. Such a technique has been used by compression engines before it. I can't tell you if some has or has not patented them. But if I were a betting man, I would say more than one person or company would lay claims against it as soon as a major company with deep pockets implement it.

Open source in general has less of this risk in that if I just write some software it is much less likely that someone has a patent on it. That said, there is a could there just the same as we have seen from lawsuits from Microsoft and others against open source operating systems.

Thanks. This is a very clear explanation that unfortunately seems plausible.

arnyk

Apr 25, 2011
It will not. FLAC support is problematic for most companies because the IP (patent) situation is very unclear.

The Sansa Clip and Fuze support FLAC.

The worst thing about them is that they play about 0.5% fast unless you load the third party firmware for them - Rockbox.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing