Boston, MA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am attaching the following photo for future reference for other JWM 10.5i owners, of how I calculated SRA - more precisely, side 'a', which represents the distance the arm has to be raised for a resulting 2 degree SRA (same as angle 'A' but rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise) - based on the effective length calculated earlier ('c'), and starting from a dead vertical of the stylus as best verified by the eye using a loupe...
JMW-10-5i..jpg
I have the cartridge tracking at slightly over 2g, just barely within the recommended range, after initially setting it to 2.3g with 0 degrees SRA. I have experimented with adding an extra 0.264 weight on the headshell after setting SRA just for the heck of it, but there is no discernible difference in sound as stated by others, especially in the bass; it does track better with the Telarc 1812 LP but who cares. I'd rather go easy on the VTF and extend my records' life.

Great results.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am attaching the following photo for future reference for other JWM 10.5i owners, of how I calculated SRA - more precisely, side 'a', which represents the distance the arm has to be raised for a resulting 2 degree SRA (same as angle 'A' but rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise) - based on the effective length calculated earlier ('c'), and starting from a dead vertical of the stylus as best verified by the eye using a loupe...
View attachment 1960
I have the cartridge tracking at slightly over 2g, just barely within the recommended range, after initially setting it to 2.3g with 0 degrees SRA. I have experimented with adding an extra 0.264 weight on the headshell after setting SRA just for the heck of it, but there is no discernible difference in sound as stated by others, especially in the bass; it does track better with the Telarc 1812 LP but who cares. I'd rather go easy on the VTF and extend my records' life.

Great results.

Thanks for the memories, even if they're 40 years old :)

1. So for the present day math challenged, how many turns represents a change of 1 degree up or down?

2. Also keep in mind that cartridge mistracking is far more deleterious than a couple of tenths of a gram :) OTOH, I do admit my eyebrows raise when I see the Clearaudios tracking at 2.8 gms.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's another interesting fact, which shows how good the VPI arms are... adjusting the tower a full turn results in precisely 1mm vertical distance offset.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice; plz post some pictures when you get a chance. Although it's been replaced apparently by the 3011, it should still work well for this application.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry it's the 3013 not the 3011 - see this

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Argh... I have ordered myself the Dino-Lite 3013T (offering continuously adjustable magnification) and a goose-neck stand; this is not the path I wanted to take, but the following on a'gon allegedly from Ortofon themselves has put a lot of doubts in my mind:

Ortofon cartridge are designed to have correct VTA and SRA when used with correct (i.e. recommended) VTF in a tonearm parallel to the record surface.
The range of VTF that is indicated in the data-sheet gives you the limits for adjustment.
This is not what I saw with the loupe - the rear side of the stylus was dead vertical to the record surface when the arm was parallel to it and a VTF of 2.3g - if that's what they call "correct SRA" then that was not +2 degrees. So I need the microscope to see closer, measure, verify and/or adjust to the true vertical, then raise the arm by 9.67mm

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I would be interested in your impressions of how the sound changes as you move from SRA 90 degrees to 92 degrees. Playing devil's advocate...what will you do if after achieving perfect SRA of 92 degrees, it doesn't sound as good?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've already done this... as prescribed by Ortofon in the quote above (which was also my starting point), the sound is excellent but a little muddy and less focused. At its final position, there are no such issues. I suspect the quote above is the company line, so as not to turn off potential buyers with arms offering no VTA adjustment. Basically, there is no theoretical reason why my approach won't give the best results, IFF we agree add believe that the recommended VTF range can provide the best sound. The microscope will be used to re-set dead vertical, not final SRA - for that, I still believe in the power of math.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would be interested in your impressions of how the sound changes as you move from SRA 90 degrees to 92 degrees. Playing devil's advocate...what will you do if after achieving perfect SRA of 92 degrees, it doesn't sound as good?

Of course, we all get swept up in this SRA/VTA conumdrum. Problem is that there was/is no standard angle used in mastering, esp in the early days of stereo. And then there's the problem of record thickness. I think the best thing is to set for an average record and readjust as needed for thinner/thicker or records with differening cutting VTA/SRA.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Absolutely true, in my view; I used a 180 gram record, and don't really care to re-adjust for thinner or thicker (too much work for very little gain)

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Well I got a hold of a Dino-Lite 413 and tried to get the SRA dialed in. Wasn't easy getting a good shot of the stylus to if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Here's a shot of what I think is a dialed in SRA but please let me know if I'm wrong.... Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A90 SRA - 2..jpg
    A90 SRA - 2..jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 1,483

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Well I got a hold of a Dino-Lite 413 and tried to get the SRA dialed in. Wasn't easy getting a good shot of the stylus to if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Here's a shot of what I think is a dialed in SRA but please let me know if I'm wrong.... Thanks in advance.

I'll let you know when I get mine later this week :) Did you use the ringstand/clamp to shoot? What was the problem in getting the shot? Focussing on the stylus/cantilver?

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
I'll let you know when I get mine later this week :) Did you use the ringstand/clamp to shoot? What was the problem in getting the shot? Focussing on the stylus/cantilver?

Hi Myles....

I did purchase the stand but my biggest struggle was to get the microscope close enough to give me a large enough shot of the stylus. There's a clear plastic piece that prevents you to get any closer than what you see in my picture. I can zoom in digitally but then the picture starts to degrade. This particular shot was done with the A90 in the lead in groove and the microscope right up against the body....... Had to play with different lighting angles just to get this shot...... 5 hours later!

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Hi Myles....

I did purchase the stand but my biggest struggle was to get the microscope close enough to give me a large enough shot of the stylus. There's a clear plastic piece that prevents you to get any closer than what you see in my picture. I can zoom in digitally but then the picture starts to degrade. This particular shot was done with the A90 in the lead in groove and the microscope right up against the body....... Had to play with different lighting angles just to get this shot...... 5 hours later!

Sorry.... should have said ".... the microscope was against the edge of the record" not the body........

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing