USB cable measurements

ar-t

Jun 3, 2011
Texas
ar-t.co
OK, I promised some USB cable measurements, but I think you should know the results are anti-climatic, so this is your chance to move on to the next thread.

OK, we had 4 cables, at our listening panel, on Saturday. 3 by one company, 1 by another. All I will say is the first guy makes all of his in a flat style, in pretty colors, and other guy makes his round, black, and indistinguishable from any other brand, other than their logo on one of the ends.

I measured the impedance, of all 4, as follows.............

Brand A:

Silver - 88R
Purple - 84R
Red - 84R

Brand B - 90R

I would say all 4 are within expected tolerance range. I don't think the measurements are indicative of perceived sonic qualities. Indeed, the cable everyone hated the most was the expensive silver one. (Appeared to be the top-line model.) Brand B was preferred by everyone. I honestly do not feel the difference in impedance has anything to do with sonic preference. (My gut feeling is the flat construction, as it somehow conflicts with my gut feeling.) Everyone's next choice was the purple one. I think it is safe to say the impedance has little to do with that selection.

Told you it was anti-climatic. I was let down, by science and my measuring gizmos. If theory does not agree with results, believe the results and invent a new theory.

My theory is I am glad I do not make USB cables for a living.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Would be cool if these cables also had jitter measurements using identical PC and USB DAC and see if any trend comes out of it when compared to measurements you can do.
The most in-depth jitter looks to be that of Paul Miller, who also had added a new test sequence relating to a trait that is happening between DC-4hz (relates more to products-chips rather than cables but worth complete test to see if any interractions on this and also transmission noise-external interference).
Cheers
Orb

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Would have liked to know more about the methodology. What were the DACs and PCs involved? Was it an asynchronous or syncchronous USB DAC? Was the test conducted in a way that would limit orremove biases? etc... Also I am confused by the units used for impedance? At what frequency were it measured?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As usual, HiFi News articles are mostly in print and not online. A quick google search shows the following post:

'Paul Miller of Hi-Fi News agrees with you.
Check his article on USB dacs ("USB if you want to") on this month's mag (December 2010).
It will continue next month on USB cables, which "can also make a difference".

And btw, about his Sony Vaio laptop, with the PSU connected (compared to battery power), "low-rate, noise-like jitter increased by a factor of 10x (~3000psec) during D/A conversion in the attached Pro-Ject box". '

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I will check the dates as Amir is right on, there is also a couple of others that I will find, so bear with me while I find them.
One follows on from a contributor at Hifinews and his article that can be found online:
Paul's follow-up article in one of the print publications also explains and shows a difference in comparing results for this isochronous DAC (which Jim's DACMagic is) to an asynch one.
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Linux/Sound3/TimeForChange.html
The frequency is explained in the Time for change link and is related to jitter - it is worth noting that technically it is not wow-flutter but used as a description (again PM expands on this).

The cheapo standard 5m USB cable that performed better than an expensive audio marketed one was Belkin if I recall correctly.

Cheers
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was a very useful link Orb. For those who didn't chase it or read it, the measurements of USB is done over many seconds, to see what types of gross speed variations there are -- as we used to measure with analog gear. They find the standard USB to have spikes once every few seconds.

Think through why this occurs, the reasoning seems fairly straightforward. The PC is sending data out on the USB bus in a manner that approximates the clock frequency of the original sampling rate. There is a transformation of X number of samples per USB frame of data. The DAC on the other hand, has a precise audio clock that drives the DAC. A buffer exists between the USB and DAC.

What then happens is that the clock speed of the DAC is either too fast or too slow. The DAC firmware lets it run at its normal clock for a while and then adjusts it at regular intervals to compensate between the two differing clock rates. For example, if the USB clock translates to 44,098 but DAC is running at 44,100 your buffer will eventually run out of data to feed it.

In this implementation, the DAC lets the local DAC clock go for a while and then heavily adjusts it to get back on track and then lets the clock go again.

The Asynch implementation has no such tie-in. The DAC clock is the master and as the buffer gets emptier, a message is sent to the PC to get the next batch of data. Its lock is never adjusted in that manner to speed or slow it down to incoming rate (i.e. slave operation).

I suspect this type of artifact is heavily DAC dependent. Some may adjust more rapidly in smaller increments or wait longer and make larger variations.

ar-t

Jun 3, 2011
Texas
ar-t.co
Not sure this is germane, or that anyone will care, but............

A new batch of cable came in. Impedance is different from the last batch. Only off by about 5%, but that is enough to make me cringe. Glad we only do this as a service, to our customers, and not something we make a living off of. I could not justify making something that sold for $200 (or more, to make it attractive) that had such a high variance.

But, 5% isn't all that bad. Typical coax (for SPDIF) is 75 ohms, +/- 3 ohms. Roughly the same amount of tolerance. Yet, folks will spend $$$ on cables. Made from stock that has this much variance.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I suspect the biggest difference in how a USB cable "sounds" is more related to interaction among source, cable, and load than the cable alone, except for a very bad cable, and acknowledging that reflections are a significant part of that interaction. I commend ar-t for looking into just how far off the mark some of the cables out there are, irrespective of price... - Don

ar-t

Jun 3, 2011
Texas
ar-t.co
A large part of why this interests me is the strange impedance, 90 ohms, of USB. It is a bit low, for most twisted pairs. I suspect there may be more manufacturing tolerances, in this sort of construction, than a AES/EBU cable.

Which only needs two signal leads, and a shield. Easier, and more conventional. (Actually, those seem to go "all over the map", more than USB, from my recent experience.)

I would be more inclined to forgive a cable vendor, for selling a USB cable, that has a large variation, in impedance. When it comes to SPDIF, where the most rudimentary of coax cables are spec'ed for +/- 3 ohms, there is no excuse for selling one that is 50R, or 93R. I can name examples, of both, but I will be a gentleman, and not name names.

(Actually, there is a good reason why one company made a 93R cable. It sounded better, on their transport, than a 75R one. Because its output Z was around 95 ohms! Science wins, again, but the fact they are idiots belies that.)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Aside: I have measured rather wide variances in the impedance of twisted pairs, more so than coax, most often due to the number of twists per inch (m, whatever) varying. Fewer twists means lower distributed C, less wire used for a given distance, and more profit; not sure that really plays into it, or it is just bad manufacturing QA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing