We have PROOF of the efficacy of EQ in correcting room mode resonances!

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Hi all,

From the vaults of Acoustic Frontiers and HdAcoustics we present incontrovertible proof of the efficacy of equalization in combating room mode resonances: frequency response, time decay and impulse response.

The subject is a 9 seat dedicated home theater where Jeff designed the acoustics and I did the calibration and equalization setup. The result is one of the most kick ass home theaters I have had the pleasure of working on!

Really looking forward to your comments and thoughts!

Nyal & Jeff

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
Nice work! Imagine this long, fat resonant tail at 25 Hz in the pre-eq charts combining with a similarly long, fat resonant tail coming from a large, reflex-loaded speaker. The cumulative effect would be atrocious.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Nice work! Imagine this long, fat resonant tail at 25 Hz in the pre-eq charts combining with a similarly long, fat resonant tail coming from a large, reflex-loaded speaker. The cumulative effect would be atrocious.

Funny... I don't see a single mention of what speakers or subwoofers were used in the system. Room modes alone can most definitely have the type of tail seen in the response, even when using the most ideal of sealed subwoofers.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
More of the "Rest of the Story"

Hello Nyal and thank you for the great post and blog. it is a true pleasure to work collaboratively with Nyal. The integrator of the project is a partner I've worked closely with for a few years. I completed the acoustical design in June of 2010 and Nyal completed the calibration just weeks ago.

To provide more insight:
- speakers: PHC
- treatments are RPG Acoustics LF, BAD and absorption control. 2-1/8"
- the riser is framed on Auralex U-Boats, front ported and backfilled with Rockwool for a dual-benefit of some LF control and a tactile response enhancement.

All of the architectural design was completed by the time "we" were brought in. So our scope was to budge and optimize but we couldn't redesign. That is the leading factor toward the unconventional sub location (halfway between floor and ceiling). The LCR and two subs are flush-mounted in a hi-mass and very rigid wall system per my design.

Attached is the acoustical design layout.

Attachments

• HdAcoustics layou.pdf
    533.9 KB · Views: 150

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
more on the predictive studies

As mentioned, much was predetermined and the seating layout was in that column. Here is an overview with three location studies of my predictive analysis. As the room was fairly "rectangular" in shape and all surfaces were of a relatively hi-mass and isolation type, I did expect these predictive studies to be on target...seems that they were. Nyal and I spoke of the overall effectiveness of this front & back side collaboration and again...it is a pleasure to work with you Nyal.

Note: as these studies are focused on the sub locations (see previously attached pdf), the data above ~100Hz is of little value.

Attachments

• HdAcoustics_GRP S&#69.jpg
    HdAcoustics_GRP S&#69.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 290
    49.5 KB · Views: 284
    61.1 KB · Views: 282
    62.4 KB · Views: 287

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
I'm pretty sure that the final seating layout changed slightly from the one shown in the architectural plan view (to nine seats). So, the main listening/viewing position (which is likely the measurement location shown in Nyal's graphs) would be between locations C & D as marked. I'll let Nyal confirm.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Jeff is right, there was a three seater couch used instead of two, although it was about the same size as the one in Jeff's diagram. The measurements shown are from between C&D.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
I guess this was so conclusive that Jeff and I have silenced even the doubters - good job buddy!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't speak for others but I was already sold on the technique so there was nothing to argue about :). Appreciate you all posting the measurements though. Great to see these real life examples.

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
how 'bout a pic

Here is a pic of the room pre-stretch fabric. you can see the yellow areas are the absorption and the pink with holes...the RPG BAD and the solid pink are the RPG LF Control panels...reference the pdf plan above and it should make even more sense.

Thank you Amirm!

Attachments

• GRP Serv Theater &#1.jpg
    GRP Serv Theater &#1.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 550

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
What is the "RPG LF Control panels" product being used? Is that their Modex product or something different?

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
The LF panels are a composite of hardboard (1/8") veneered to 2" of 6.5# rigid fiberglass. There was not space to use the Modex Plates although I tried.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
The LF panels are a composite of hardboard (1/8") veneered to 2" of 6.5# rigid fiberglass. There was not space to use the Modex Plates although I tried.

Hardboard mounted against the ceiling above or hardboard facing the room below (if latter, making it sort of a diaphramatic absorber of sorts?)

Jeff Hedback

[Industry Expert]
Feb 9, 2011
Indpls, IN
www.HdAcoustics.net
right...the hardboard is facing the room providing reflection above ~350Hz and reasonably effective absorption down to ~80Hz. They are the "pink" looking panels in the pic without the holes (the holes being the BAD panels)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Jeff,

You worked on a friend's room, Art Smuck, and I can attest to the marvelous sound from the room/system.
Congratulations!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing