Please add "Levinson" to the Manufacturers section

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
To WBT,
Levinson is not a manufacturer. Levinson is my last name. "Mark Levinson" is a brand name - products made by Harman - and belongs in the manufacturer's section. "Mark Levinson" is a trade name not affiliated with me since 1980. I am free to use my name in association with all products I produce, such as Daniel Hertz equipment and our new audio software, Master Class for Mac, just not as a trade name (on the front panel for example). I (Mark Levinson the man) manufacture audio products under the brand name "Daniel Hertz." Please add "Daniel Hertz to your manufacturer's section, and Mark Levinson (me) to your audio product designer (a list of people) section if you have one. Please use Levinson only with regard to me as an individual.

It would be nice if WBT forum members would encourage Harman to use my name in ways that clearly are a brand name and not imply that I am there. It would also be nice if WBT forum members could ask Harman why they have refused since they took over to supply service, or even schematics and parts, for the original ML products that built the reputation of the brand. Many owners of original Mark Levinson products would like service but only Harman has the schematics, parts and service info.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mark

first off welcome to WBF

As you can see I changed your status to "Industry Expert" the day you registered

FWIW, I don't believe that it falls within the purview of WBF members to encourage Harman to use your name in the manner in which you suggest or to get into other political fiascos that we have no business doing so.

As for adding Daniel Hertz, I would be happy to do such if there is overwhelming interest but right now, all we have is one thread. If there comes to be more interest I will add it. My biggest issue with adding new manufacturers is that they are frequently requested by the manufacturer but lie idle and never have more than the first post on the topic

mark levinson

Industry Expert
Jan 24, 2014
Hi Steve,

OK to all points. I appreciate your comments. I normally never mention other manufacturers, but have been impressed by the candor on the thread and the open discussion including allegations about the products and policies of Red Rose Music. With this in mind, I thought to bring up a real issue about company policy that is important to some people who own vintage ML equipment.

Many people have asked me about service for such units (LNP-2, ML-2, ML-3, ML-6, ML-7, etc.) thinking that maybe I can help them. What they don't know is that only Harman has the documents and parts required for this service, and so far, they seem unwilling to give them to anyone. WBT seems ok with posting discussions of the policies of Red Rose Music that contain false allegations and highly critical comments, so I thought maybe Harman's service policies were fair game, especially since my point is factually correct.

There is still freedom of speech with regard to personal opinion, and comments and questions based on facts are not actionable. There is no potential for litigation or "political fiasco" if questions are asked, and factually correct statements are made. In a blog where people seem concerned about the ethics of manufacturers, I see potential for making improvements that are relevant to the interests of more than a few equipment owners. It is a pity that good products like the original ML units should become unusable and unserviceable due to the decision of a big company that has the resources to provide the service and support just not the ethics. Those who know the history are aware that Harman wanted the old products, associated with me, to die, while the Harman ML products would be supported. This is a bona fide case of company policy and ethics that deserves to be questioned. If you think this is not true, please explain. If it is true, then my point should be well taken.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing