G'day from Melbourne (Australia, not FL )

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi there,
Been reading this great forum for a while now and thought I'd join and say hello.
I'm reasonably active on the Australian hifi form stereo.net.au but it's always interesting to get a perspective from the other side of the world.

Been into hifi for a number of years but did a radical change of my system in the past year or so. Traded my Sonus Faber Auditor M's up to a pair of Zingali Twenty 1.12s and bought me a Sanders Sound Magtech as well. Next step is to explore the world of vinyl - or maybe a new digital front end or maybe room room treatment or maybe.....

Rgds
Trevor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Trevor. Say, are there local manufacturers in Australia? Or is everything coming from overseas?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
There are some superb local manufacturers here.
For speakers, Duntech are possibly the best known outside of Australia.

My first decent speakers were made by Colin Whatmough (hence my moniker) . Sadly, he passed away recently

His Paragon speakers are among the best I've heard anywhere
http://www.whatmoughaudio.com.au/_product_48046/Whatmough_Paragon_Speakers

Other brands I've heard are Legend Acoustics - reminiscent of Wilson Audio both in sound and looks but not price, also Lenehan Audio - their website only shows one model, they have many more plus a DAC that is very very good.

Another brilliant local producer is SGR Audio. They make fully active speakers as well as some awesome amplifiers.

And on the amplifier front, Weston Acoustics make some seriously good valve amps that are seriously good value for money.
More valve beauty from Supratek

These are the ones I'm familiar with. There is a thread here (it's a link to another forum - apologies if I'm not allowed to do this) that lists over 30 Aussie speaker manufacturers!

On the TT front Once Analog make some very nice looking gear that people rave about - not heard it myself

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Mary,
Australia is an enormous place - impossible to describe I'm a few words. If you've never been here you should come and visit, it's an amazing beautiful country

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing