What 'Audiophile Records' lived up to your expectation?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have FIM's 'Autumn Yearning Fantasia' LP, which features traditional Chinese musical instruments and the record is simply stunning. I heard it in a friend's place and I immediately placed an order an got one. Yes, Winston Ma is truly a dedicated music lover and has given the audio world many good things. I used to frequent his audio shop in HK called 'Golden Strings' and still remember their great set ups of Duntech and Spendor loudspeakers. And their choice cuts of softwares on CD and LP makes it a one stop shop for music lovers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have the XRCD version

Not sure if they're in the same order on the CD but tracks 3 and 5 are spectacular. Track 3 for drums and track five for what's going on with the cymbals :) If the cymbals aren't feathery light and have an incredible sense of body, then the system is losing something somewhere!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It's interesting that in the 80's particularly, this 2 LP album was always used by dealers as 'demo record'. And it would stun a lot of listeners who eventually would buy the audio gears the were auditioning. (Me included). Nobody hated that album then, at least I never heard such comments. Even in the HK audio circles, the album was popular. But lately, circa year 2000 to present, I begin to hear buzz on how lousy the music is and some even wondered why this album is so popular. Well, I do not know why but I personally do not hate it. LOL I actually had the original album before but now I'm holding on to the JVC half speed mastered copy by Jack Hunt.

i must admit to loving and hating JATPS. i've got many different masterings of it. i've got the FIM HDCD and XRCD, the FIM SACD, 3 different Lp pressings, and then 'something else'.

after 15 years of listening to it many times, it now (sometimes) sorta sounds like a bunch of Swedish guys trying to play Jazz. they don't quite get it. like the Three Blind Mice pressings, of which i have almost every one plus all the 45's, getting the notes perfect and recorded wonderfully is not enough. they seem to be trying too hard to get the notes right like on many DTD records. the music does not really flow and involve you.

recently i've been acquiring some 50's and early 60's Jazz Mono pressings in anticipation of getting a Mono cartridge on a dedicated arm. i've likely cleaned and listened to 25-30 of them in the last 2 weeks. the pressings vary from VG+ to Near Mint......most are VG+++ or better. the best of them are breathtaking even with my stereo Lyra Olympos.

none of the Swedes or Japanese guys on JATPS or TBM recordings could carry the jock strap of any of the 50's Jazz guys on those records. i'm talking about musical communication of feelings and taking you someplace. the 50's and early 60's Jazz pressings are 'alive'. those guys radiated musical vibe.

OTOH in the right mood JATPS and TBM can be wonderful and enjoyable. they are spectactular recordings. and to be fair; 50's and early 60's Jazz smokes almost everything else too, not just JATPS and TBM.

i'm not invalidating these audiophile icons for anyone, including myself. i'm only commenting on my momentary viewpoint based on the perspective created by my current exposure to all the 'Golden Age' Jazz.

like listening to a bunch of Heifetz and then some of the current 'pretty' fiddlers. the enemy of the good is the perfect.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
none of the Swedes or Japanese guys on JATPS or TBM recordings could carry the jock strap of any of the 50's Jazz guys on those records. i'm talking about musical communication of feelings and taking you someplace. the 50's and early 60's Jazz pressings are 'alive'. those guys radiated musical vibe.

OTOH in the right mood JATPS and TBM can be wonderful and enjoyable. they are spectactular recordings. and to be fair; 50's and early 60's Jazz smokes almost everything else too, not just JATPS and TBM.

I agree, Mike. Your explanation is quite clear. While the recording is up to par, the performance is not. And absolutely, in the right mood, these good recordings are really enjoyable. It kinda justifies our investment in audio hardware, to be able to extract such fine sonics (although with absence of musical communication from the players) versus playing a real bad recording of a favorite artist in a very revealing audio system. I think latter is much worse.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
my friend has complained about chesky recordings sounding too distant but i believe thats what DC was trying to accomplish to capture a deep soundstage to enhance imaging. these complaints come about CDs and SACDs but audiophile recordings and their qualities seem to be the main focus of the last posts.

the road father disc seems to be shimmering with soundfield. played back on a friend's acoustat 3s long ago, thats what it sounded like.

...regards...tr

Finally dug this up from the lower shelves, had to use a flashlight to locate it. LOL. BUT, my, my, a surprise awaited me. Real good recording, and great music. This D2D surely doesn't disappoint, ranks right up there with a few good Sheffields D2D recordings.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I really like the MFSL 200 gram LP's, almost all of them are IMHO exceptional. Particularly the likes of Muddy Waters, Getz/Gilberto and Duke Ellington- Anatomy. Also, I have always liked the Opus 3 LP's, Depth of Image etc.( although Cindy Peters is not my favorite music)
The M&K's also come to mind along with several of the Nautilus LP's like Winelight etc.
I recently came across the MFSL Allison Krauss Live Lp, even though it is a digital re-master, I think it is also special.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I subscribe to the Music Matters Blue Note 45 rpm reissue series. Absolutely top notch music and the remasterings are spectacular. As the series has progressed, the sonics have gotten ever better. As a bonus, Music Matters does a great job with the jackets and packaging and their customer service is first class. With most of the originals going for north of $1000 (and some >$2000) these are a great deal.

If you can find an original pressing from EastWind Records--buy it. Their recording of the Great Jazz Trio recordings are worth seeking out. My favorite is the Great Jazz Trio "Direct from LA"

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I subscribe to the Music Matters Blue Note 45 rpm reissue series. Absolutely top notch music and the remasterings are spectacular. As the series has progressed, the sonics have gotten ever better. As a bonus, Music Matters does a great job with the jackets and packaging and their customer service is first class. With most of the originals going for north of $1000 (and some >$2000) these are a great deal.

If you can find an original pressing from EastWind Records--buy it. Their recording of the Great Jazz Trio recordings are worth seeking out. My favorite is the Great Jazz Trio "Direct from LA"

It's hard to miss with any of the 45 rpm Blue Note, Impulse, Verve, Prestige, Riverside, etc. jazz titles from MM, AP or ORG!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
To me this is the Japanese jazz done right and cheap
1. Boiling point Toshiba pro use LF 95009
2. This one's for blanton Duke ellington and Ray brown, Pablo 2310-721 , my favourite piano pieces accompanied by double bass
3. Kornet har sin Vila Proprius 7853, my favourable choir music
4. Hugh masekela, have both original Triloka and reissue , nothing like original and just for the pleasure of listening to Stimela
5. Flamenco ole, La pocha y su grupo de flamenco, JVC VIDC-4, much cheaper than the M&K flamenco which I have and to my ears nicer music
6. Diamond and Rust in the bullring Gold castle , Joaz Baez at her best
7. Esther Shze 367 and 8. Clair Margo Let it go, Sheffield lab TLP 29, both my favourable female vocal ( and many more)
9. Cat Stevens Tea for the tillerman , pink I island record , ILPS 9135
10. Miss criolla , Jose carreras, philip digital, printed Netherlands , my favourable opera
11. La spagna , Gregorion Paniagua , BIS Lp163/4, Spanish music at it's best and u must have this

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
1. Boiling point Toshiba pro use LF 95009, to me this is japaneses jazz done right & cheap
2. This one's for blanton Duke ellington and Ray brown, Pablo 2310-721 , my favourite piano pieces accompanied by double bass
4. Hugh masekela, have both original Triloka and reissue , nothing like original and just for the pleasure of listening to Stimela
5. Flamenco ole, La pocha y su grupo de flamenco, JVC VIDC-4, much cheaper than the M&K flamenco which I have and to my ears nicer music
6. Diamond and Rust in the bullring Gold castle , Joaz Baez at her best
7. Esther Shze 367 and 8. Clair Margo Let it go, Sheffield lab TLP 29, both my favourable female vocal ( and many more)
9. Cat Stevens Tea for the tillerman , pink I island record , ILPS 9135. Prefer this to mfsl and UHQR which I have as well. Much more natural
10. Miss criolla , Jose carreras, philip digital, printed Netherlands , my favourable opera
11. La spagna , Gregorio Paniagua , BIS Lp163/4, Spanish music at it's best and u must have this

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

My favorite choir album since the 80s. I play Side 1 end to end and played to death for several years. Never a boring moment despite not knowing what they mean, but somehow I 'feel' the message. LOL

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although not an audiophile label per se, I am very impressed with the 180-gram REPRISE issue of Neil Young: Massey Hall. I'll be looking for more REPRISE titles to be sure.

John

hifitommy

i have the crystal clear issues of 'flamenco direct', two separate LPs by carlos montoya which i bought new when they were released. boy do they EVER sound direct.

there are places there when it sounds like carlos is going to rip the front right off the guitar. the funny thing about the performance is that it sounds like something is missing....and it is! the call and response of the flamenco dancers and the shoe stomps.

you will have to pry these from my cold dead fingers. much cheeeeeeper is the laser light cd:

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/13750G.html

looking for the LPs--- http://www.audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?record=8709&c=1&kw=Flamenco

so far i have only been able to find the cd for cheap and also $20 and the VOL2 LP for $60!

this affirms my resolve to hold on to them til death do me part.

more common is the crystal clear charlie byrd. more desirable is the bill berry-fore duke on M&K.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
i have the crystal clear issues of 'flamenco direct', two separate LPs by carlos montoya which i bought new when they were released. boy do they EVER sound direct.

there are places there when it sounds like carlos is going to rip the front right off the guitar. the funny thing about the performance is that it sounds like something is missing....and it is! the call and response of the flamenco dancers and the shoe stomps.

more common is the crystal clear charlie byrd. more desirable is the bill berry-fore duke on M&K.

Carlos Montoya on CC was one of my earliest Direct Disc LPs. It's stunning and most people who heard it the first time in my place were in awe at the recording. For the shoe stomps and male vocals, they can be found in M&K's Flamemnco Fever and JVC's Flamenco Ole. M&K's For Duke is a 'must have' LP in my books. Recording and performance are top rate, on Direct to Disc too.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The latest re-issue of Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged', to me sounds better than the Original Reprise pressing. I thought the original pressing was excellent already, and last week, when I got my 2 LP re-issue, which according to the acousticsounds page was mastered by Bernie Grundman, I was bowled over by the presence and clarity of the recording. The instruments are more defined too and the bass, it's fantastic.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Carlos Montoya on CC was one of my earliest Direct Disc LPs. It's stunning and most people who heard it the first time in my place were in awe at the recording. For the shoe stomps and male vocals, they can be found in M&K's Flamemnco Fever and JVC's Flamenco Ole. M&K's For Duke is a 'must have' LP in my books. Recording and performance are top rate, on Direct to Disc too.

A good audiophile friend (who heard Montoya live) says the CC is the one recording that really captured the sound of Montoya's guitar.

hifitommy

i love my old DTDs

and have been careful not to overplay them until i cant stand them. i agree about the montoya set, it sounds like he is going to rip th front off the guitar on them.

another i cherish is the 'road father' by woody herman. his version of 'baby, i got news for you' is at least the equal in musical value as ray charles' on "Genius + Soul = Jazz". and the ambience is shimmering.

my japanese coppy of "osamu" is perhaps my favorite with minnie riperton vocalizing into the stratosphere on 'yesterday and karma'.

i dont remember if i mentioned these previously as i didnt re-read all the earlier posts so if i did, remember that i am 66.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
and have been careful not to overplay them until i cant stand them. i agree about the montoya set, it sounds like he is going to rip th front off the guitar on them.

another i cherish is the 'road father' by woody herman. his version of 'baby, i got news for you' is at least the equal in musical value as ray charles' on "Genius + Soul = Jazz". and the ambience is shimmering.

my japanese coppy of "osamu" is perhaps my favorite with minnie riperton vocalizing into the stratosphere on 'yesterday and karma'.

i dont remember if i mentioned these previously as i didnt re-read all the earlier posts so if i did, remember that i am 66.

I think the Ray Charles is scheduled to be reissued by Acoustic Sounds as part of their 25 Impulse titles. As I've said before, it's great to see MM, AP and ORG reissuing these titles! It well near impossible to find any of these titles in good shape. What jazz dealers consider good shape would be considered trash by the classical collector (and is).

hifitommy

the ray charles was given to me by marshall blonstein on cd (a dcc before it was a premium label). the music is great and that its going to be released on vinyl again is great news as long as the price isnt 50 bucks.

as much as i love the vinyl experience and sound, i abhor paying large for it. twenty bucks or thereabouts should be it. a lot more would be sold at that level than at beluga pricing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing