Reversible DAC's? A to D conversion!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
In another thread I'm convering vinyl/tape archival. I felt the A-D converter deserved a thread all of its own.

So lets start with the basics. An A-D converter is just a backwards DAC. What you use to interface with your DAC can be applied to the A-D converter. There are converters today that now use USB, Firewire, AES/EBU, MADI, S/DIF, SDIF-3 and others that are slipping my brain.
The easiest for most people would be either a USB or F/W A-D converter. "Usually" you can plug these into your computer and your software automatically recognizes it, loads the drivers are you're off an running.
There are several USB and F/W A-D choices that do a very commendable job. Look at some of these:

Benchmark ADC1-USB

Behringer U-Phono UFO202 this even has it's own phono pre!

Apogee Duet2

These are basic A-D converters with most doing up to 24/192. Some have RCA and XLR inputs for both Consumer -10 and Pro +4 connections.

I'll talk later about converters with more feature sets and what to look out for.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Moving up the chain we'll talk about mid-level A-D converters. These would be the converters between $1500 and $5000. Some of the more popular ones would be the Lynx Aurora, Apogee Ensemble/Symphony, Burl Audio B2, Cranesong HEDD, Metric Halo, Prism Orpheus and others I'm probably not remembering right now. All of these have A-D as well as D-A.
Out of these, the Lynx Aurora is probably the most versatile. You can get it in 8 or 16 channel configurations. There are I/O cards on the back which you can swap out for AES/EBU, Firewire, USB, MADI and Digilink. All of these converters can go from 44.1 all the way to 192k.

The Cranesong HEDD has settings to add 3rd harmonics if you wish. The Prism Orpheus is a F/W converter with mic pres as well as a phono input.

Here is a pic of the Lynx Aurora 8.

Attachments

• Lynx..JPG
    Lynx..JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 744

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I’m finally getting around to updating an old thread. This weekend I will be embarking on a monumental task. I have a high profile client that has given me 30 original master tapes and they want to make sure no stone has been left unturned. I have assembled the crème de la crème of A to D converters to do these transfers. I no particular order:

Grimm AD1
Digital Audio Denmark AX24
Weiss ADC2
MSB Technology Platinum Studio ADC
EMM Labs ADC 8IV

and everything will be monitored through a Playback Designs MPS-5. This is over $100k of digital conversion!! Pictures will follow and samples will be blindly posted!! Stay tuned........

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I’m finally getting around to updating an old thread. This weekend I will be embarking on a monumental task. I have a high profile client that has given me 30 original master tapes and they want to make sure no stone has been left unturned. I have assembled the crème de la crème of A to D converters to do these transfers. I no particular order:

Grimm AD1
Weiss ADC2
MSB Technology Platinum Studio ADC
EMM Labs ADC 8IV

and everything will be monitored through a Playback Designs MPS-5. This is over $100k of digital conversion!! Pictures will follow and samples will be blindly posted!! Stay tuned........

I would love to place my hands on those masters! - fun and interesting project!, no Mytech?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I would love to place my hands on those masters! - fun and interesting project!, no Mytech?

No... we used a Mytek 8x192ADDA about a year ago and felt they were not up to the level of the EMM Labs, let alone the Grimm or MSB

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's wonderful! Thanks for reporting on them and congrats on finding such a quality conscious customer.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Here are a couple of pics of all the converters I'm using. Still spinning tape at 10pm!!

From top to bottom:

Korg MR2000s
Weiss ADC2
EMM Labs ADC8 IV
Grimm AD1
EMM Labs Switchman 3
Playback Designs MPS-5

and the MSB Platinum Studio ADC with Diamond Power Base at $40k !!!!!

Attachments

• All2..jpg
    All2..jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 891
  • MSB2..jpg
    MSB2..jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 942

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Bruce - I am also curious on the Denmark, at least for their DAC unit - how it stacks to the rest in terms of musicality? (you know what I mean :) )

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
F^2, Bruce

Here are a couple of pics of all the converters I'm using. Still spinning tape at 10pm!!

From top to bottom:

Korg MR2000s
Weiss ADC2
EMM Labs ADC8 IV
Grimm AD1
EMM Labs Switchman 3
Playback Designs MPS-5

Fun and Fascinating :cool:
Should the endeavor be archival in scope...will you be using DSD, ala MR2000s and PD, and comparing to PCM?
If you can make wav files available, it would be fascinating to compare :D

Thanks, Bruce.

o/t: my revised short list for micamps -- Crookwood Paintpot and Gordon Model 5. Mics -- DPA, Schoeps, and Josephson. Have decided to seriously consider Studer A810 for location recording!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The only Antelope products I've had in my system were the Rubidium/Trinity clocks. I've heard from good ears that the converters could be alot better.

I've heard the converters in other systems and they didn't excite me.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Korg MR2000s
Weiss ADC2
EMM Labs ADC8 IV
Grimm AD1
EMM Labs Switchman 3
Playback Designs MPS-5

Hey, Bruce. Any preliminary findings? Or better yet, high rez wav files.

Is the Korg MR2000 standard? Todd's modified unit really impressed last Thurs.

David

Aug 11, 2012

From top to bottom:

Korg MR2000s
Weiss ADC2
EMM Labs ADC8 IV
Grimm AD1
EMM Labs Switchman 3
Playback Designs MPS-5

Hi,

what have been the conclusions of your tests ?

Best regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing