Parasound or Cary?

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Wanting to get better performance for 2-channel listening than what I’m currently getting using my Classe’ SSP-30 Pre/Pro, I am looking at a 2-channel pre/line amplifier with HT bypass solution.

What is on my radar scope is the Parasound Halo JC-2, or the Cary SLP-05.

Both preamps have HT bypass, and both are highly recommended products by TAS and Stereophile magazines.

The Parasound is half the price of the Cary, but I am really more concerned about sound quality for 2-channel listening, and I like the idea that the Cary is a tube preamp (although I have no experience with tubes, other than when I was a kid, and we used to play with the tube testers, once located at all of the convenience stores!).

So... what do you guys think? I know there are some great pre/line amps out there, but I’m trying to keep the budget under control, which is why I am focusing on these two units.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I was with Tony Weber (Cary) at the 2010 RMAF. They had an all Cary system going into a pair of Usher Mini Dancer 2. The digital front-end was out of our studio. The sound was some of the best I've heard... and also won a Positive Feedback Oasis award. What the source files or the amp/pre contributed is anyones guess.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Wanting to get better performance for 2-channel listening than what I’m currently getting using my Classe’ SSP-30 Pre/Pro, I am looking at a 2-channel pre/line amplifier with HT bypass solution.

What is on my radar scope is the Parasound Halo JC-2, or the Cary SLP-05.

Both preamps have HT bypass, and both are highly recommended products by TAS and Stereophile magazines.

The Parasound is half the price of the Cary, but I am really more concerned about sound quality for 2-channel listening, and I like the idea that the Cary is a tube preamp (although I have no experience with tubes, other than when I was a kid, and we used to play with the tube testers, once located at all of the convenience stores!).

So... what do you guys think? I know there are some great pre/line amps out there, but I’m trying to keep the budget under control, which is why I am focusing on these two units.
I like the Parasound JC-2 but, if you like the Cary, that's what you should get. It should never be a matter of what someone else likes.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I'm with you Kal. In the end, I will go with which sounds best to me. But I appreciate your opinion. Any particular reason(s) why you prefer the Parasound?

Bruce, that's always the problem with hearing complete systems. Sometimes difficult to determine what any one piece may or may not be contributing.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'm with you Kal. In the end, I will go with which sounds best to me. But I appreciate your opinion. Any particular reason(s) why you prefer the Parasound?
I did not say I preferred the Parasound to the Cary. I have never knowingly heard the Cary and, given my philosophical bias against tubes, it is unlikely I will.

triode

Jul 20, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
The Cary is a stone cold killer. With the proper NOS 6SN7s in 4 of the 8 positions, and the proper NOS 5AR4 rectifier, to my ears it has all of the virtues of tubes (palpability, fully fleshed out harmonics, vividness, plays tunes, long tails) with all of the virtues of SS (bass slam and drive, incisive attack, extended treble). Finest sound I've had or heard, by some margin (in my system, of course).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Rutgar,

What amplification are you running? In this case, i would have thought the matching might be important with the Cary's being (i presume) tubes which might have high output impedance. I have not heard either and not studied either...i am guessing the Paraounds have lower output impedance? From what i've read, I suspect Cary may have a stronger 'signature' to their sound (which depending on whether you like that signature or not) will probably spell the difference between your choice of Cary or Parasound. A guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing