Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a subwoofer amp with room correction?

Is there a subwoofer amp with room correction?

I have a ServoDrive Contrabass and I'm driving it with an Outlaw 200watt mono amp. I'm wondering if there's an amp available with room correction built in? Or should I just get an Integra 80.2 (or 3 when those come out) and let that handle the correction? I'm also using an old M&K 12 inch for fill in as the big gun can't be bothered to reproduce low volume sounds.

Sidenote: The Contrabass isn't in a finished cabinet. Oscar is written on it in pencil, so that's what we call "him". Is that something that would have been written by the manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by clayton72 View Post
    I have a ServoDrive Contrabass and I'm driving it with an Outlaw 200watt mono amp. I'm wondering if there's an amp available with room correction built in? Or should I just get an Integra 80.2 (or 3 when those come out) and let that handle the correction? I'm also using an old M&K 12 inch for fill in as the big gun can't be bothered to reproduce low volume sounds.
    The Integras with XT32 will do a good job of integrating (sic) your two different subs. OTOH, the very excellent Rives Audio sub-PARC might be a great match to the Contrabass.

Banned
    Instead of an amp, how about a dedicated room eq for the subs? Here is the JBL BassQ: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/ProductD....aspx?prdid=89

Controls up to 4 subs. We have one in our shop but sadly, I have not played with it . But Roger Dressler has one (of Dolby fame) and seems to like it.

The BassQ uses Harman's sound field management which first equalizes the response of multiple subs and then EQs them as a group. Likely is better than anything built into an AVR or mass market processor.

Banned
    The retail is $1,200 on the box btw. And I found Roger's measurements:

This Dayton subwoofer amp has parametric EQ, but only one band of it.

[WBF Founding Member] Ron Party's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Instead of an amp, how about a dedicated room eq for the subs? Here is the JBL BassQ: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/ProductD....aspx?prdid=89

Controls up to 4 subs. We have one in our shop but sadly, I have not played with it . But Roger Dressler has one (of Dolby fame) and seems to like it.

The BassQ uses Harman's sound field management which first equalizes the response of multiple subs and then EQs them as a group. Likely is better than anything built into an AVR or mass market processor.
    That's exactly what I'm using and I second Amir's recommendation.
    Peace.

Ron Party

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    I would go with a stand alone processor as well.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Anyone compared it to the Antimode? I was planning to upgrade to a pre/pro but circumstances have me considering stand-alone bass control for my pair of subs.
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Quote Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
    Anyone compared it to the Antimode? I was planning to upgrade to a pre/pro but circumstances have me considering stand-alone bass control for my pair of subs.
    The AnitMode is a completely automatic unit with the capability of only 2 mic positions and no multisub control. (Y connectors notwithstanding.) I would think that the hand's on abilities of the miniDSP might be more up your alley. I am happy with XT32 at the moment.

Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] DonH50's Avatar
    Thanks Kal, that helps. I am leaning toward an Integra 80.x and the pro package; kinda' wish the Marantz had XT32. Maybe next year's models... In the meantime, I was looking for a way to add sub EQ (etc.) to my Pio unit. I do pretty well with MCACC and then tweaking FR with my own measurement setup, but I do admire those ruler-flat XT32 plots everybody throws out!

The SW I use (R+D, with the filter package) allows me to program filter settings for the little Behringer units and a few others, but I am getting lazy in my old age. I'd rather listen than tweak (don't tell the IEEE; they might revoke my membership!) - Don

p.s. Looked up the miniDSP -- interesting! Hmmm... Anything you don't know, Kal? Ever think about, I dunno', writing for a stereo magazine or something? Thanks again! - Don
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
    Don's Technical Articles on WBF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast