Raising StillPoints to exactly 2.25 inches

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone have any suggestions how to raise a set of StillPoints to exactly two-and-a-quarter inches, top to bottom?

Thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How do you mean Ack? The act of raising it to 2.25 inches or a way to check that they are exactly 2.25 inches tall?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sorry, I want a stillpoints-based solution to measure 2.25 inches top to bottom in height, including whatever risers are available and other gimmicks. Basically, OOTB I can put together a solution that has a total height of about 1.8 inches max - not enough; see http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillponts/Risers.html. Then there are those Ultra risers which apparently don't really work with the stillpoints - so they are not real risers, but a separate solution onto themselves, adjustable from 1.5 to 1.8 inches max.

I want to reach 2.25 inches, so I have contacted them directly for suggestions.

thanks

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Alright, figured this one out with their help... What I am going to do really is replace the VPI Aries 3 feet + Sorbothane balls I now have with a Stillpoints-based solution... And it's going to work like this: Stillpoints Ultra Stainless Steel with a connecting 1/4-20 stud (like these adapters) plus thick steel washer to raise the height to 2.25". I currently have Stillpoints under the granite shelf of the Aries and the isolation is truly stunning - this adds the last layer of isolation (the sorbothane balls are also effective to some degree, but nowhere near what the Stillpoints can do), and the result should be very good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please keep us posted on the results of your project ack :) By the way, Harry has come up with some new "feet". I'm not sure it's on the website yet but here's a sneek pic (pun intended). They will be on the new HRXs but scaled down variants should be available as options for Aries 3s and scouts. These are from a friend of mine that just came from the factory. No more Firestone bladders on these feet.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
They look like the feet on the Classic 3.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Stillpoint Ultras are going back - no effect (improvement) with the knuckle test. These things are rated at 500lbs max each, therefore they are meant to go under speakers and equipment stands - i.e. a lot of weight in order to start functioning. I am trying to figure out if the original Stillpoints can somehow be fitted, and I guess with a long enough stud they probably can... that would be my next step.

John49

Jul 22, 2013
London,UK
The Stillpoint Ultras are going back - no effect (improvement) with the knuckle test. These things are rated at 500lbs max each, therefore they are meant to go under speakers and equipment stands - i.e. a lot of weight in order to start functioning. I am trying to figure out if the original Stillpoints can somehow be fitted, and I guess with a long enough stud they probably can... that would be my next step.

Did you ever get a solution? I am new to these posts.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Get small squares of 2 cm (3/4") thick granite for each leg. A stone yard can easily cut that up for you.

It will be rock hard (sorry about that!) won't compress and should act as a rigid extention of the stillpoints.

They will be inexpensive.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Sorry, I want a stillpoints-based solution to measure 2.25 inches top to bottom in height, including whatever risers are available and other gimmicks. Basically, OOTB I can put together a solution that has a total height of about 1.8 inches max - not enough; see http://www.stillpoints.us/Stillponts/Risers.html. Then there are those Ultra risers which apparently don't really work with the stillpoints - so they are not real risers, but a separate solution onto themselves, adjustable from 1.5 to 1.8 inches max.

I want to reach 2.25 inches, so I have contacted them directly for suggestions.

thanks

If cosmetics are not of concern, you could do a couple of things (I assume Ultra SS). 1) Use an Ultra Base with the Ultra SS and use a longer set screw between the Ultra SS and Ultra Base than the 5/8" set screws supplied with the Ultra Base sets. 2) Without using an Ultra Base at all, you could use a longer set screw between the Hard Hat and the body of the Ultra SS.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing