U52/5u4g/5ar4, etc.Rectifier tubes

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone played with and compared these rectifier tubes in their amps, preamps, phono section, etc? What are your experiences with currently available vs. NOS tubes out there such as the Mullards, Tungsol, RCA, etc?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles-You can't go wrong with the real Mullard 5AR4 tube. They are known to last 40 years and they sound great. The only 5U4G tubes I have used are NOS RCAs and they are just dandy. If you want to try a real Mullard 5AR4 tube and you don't have one, drop me a line and I will send you one to play with. I think I have exhausted my supply of 5U4G tubes in guitar amps that I fixed and sold.

Mark

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
5U4G and 5AR4, same wiring, can be replaced without change anything, but one is direct heating and the other is in-direct heating, so the 5U4g will send out high voltage faster than 5AR4, if tubes in amp is all in-direct tubes, HV come in before they heat up is not a good thing, install a delay timer is add another contact also no good, the only can be done is to separate HV and LV supply, turn on heater LV for amp's tubes first and then switch the HV can keep tubes last longer
tony ma

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
5U4G and 5AR4, same wiring, can be replaced without change anything, but one is direct heating and the other is in-direct heating, so the 5U4g will send out high voltage faster than 5AR4, if tubes in amp is all in-direct tubes, HV come in before they heat up is not a good thing, install a delay timer is add another contact also no good, the only can be done is to separate HV and LV supply, turn on heater LV for amp's tubes first and then switch the HV can keep tubes last longer
tony ma

Thanks Tony. The phono stage presently uses a 5U4G rectifier in the PS and there's no issue as the unit mutes its output for a minute after turn on. I can't give you all the details yet but the PS is designed to be robust enough to use a variety of rectifier tubes like GZ37, 5AR4, 5U4g. It comes with a 5Z3PJ stock so imagine that can be improved though the mid-60s Mullard ST type 378 tried was not as good as the stock tube. Maybe there was something wrong with the tube since it makes no sense. Can't remember the last time a NOS sounded worse than a Chinese equivalent.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thanks Tony. The phono stage presently uses a 5U4G rectifier in the PS and there's no issue as the unit mutes its output for a minute after turn on. I can't give you all the details yet but the PS is designed to be robust enough to use a variety of rectifier tubes like GZ37, 5AR4, 5U4g. It comes with a 5Z3PJ stock so imagine that can be improved though the mid-60s Mullard ST type 378 tried was not as good as the stock tube. Maybe there was something wrong with the tube since it makes no sense. Can't remember the last time a NOS sounded worse than a Chinese equivalent.
Hi Myles
The original design in use of direct heating tube to replace with a in- direct one should have no problem, but I don't think they care of this matter from the beginning, most of brand name design to put a time delay mute only on the sound out-put for no noise before heating up, we diyer always care of life time of expensive NOS tubes, so I like separate into HV and LV supply, there are a tweak to wire with two switches , you turn on one first no matter which one must be the LV power, till both on for HV power, see picture, up grade power supply (add more supply like one for each tube in amp ) always will have a big positive return
cheers
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 2,719

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK I understand Tony :) Makes sense :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone played with the new Emission Labs 5U4G tubes?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing