Anyone check out the new Kef Blade?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Cool shape. No front-firing midrange driver seems a bit odd.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are Tim. The tweets and mids are concentric units. The pics make the midrange look like wave guides for the tweeter, which, come to think of it, they probably are.

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
The midrange does act like a wave guide. If you look at some measurements from some of there other speakers with the same concentric driver, you will see a suck out in the highs. I was told that the suck out was due to diffraction between the tweeter and the surround of the midrange driver. This suck out is only found when measuring the speaker on-axis and isn't present if you listen off-axis.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The midrange does act like a wave guide. If you look at some measurements from some of there other speakers with the same concentric driver, you will see a suck out in the highs. I was told that the suck out was due to diffraction between the tweeter and the surround of the midrange driver. This suck out is only found when measuring the speaker on-axis and isn't present if you listen off-axis.

Who listens off-axis??

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Who listens off-axis??

Everyone with room reflections. I see the point in accurate off-axis response, but frankly, not if it is at the expense of on-axis response.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wonder what the XO frequency to the woofers are.

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
Concentric drivers make me fundamentally uneasy, be they by KEF, TAD or the latest by Genelec. I understand the advantages of the configuration, but a tweeter's vibration amplitude is very small, in the order of micrometers, nanometers even, at very low levels. How can the loading parameters be defined if the surrounding driver, acting as a waveguide in this case, moves millimeters either way, i.e. a thousand or a million times more than the amplitude of the wave they are supposed to be "guiding"? Isn't this bound to lead to a massive loss of definition, even in the face of benign-looking steady-state measurements?

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
Concentric drivers make me fundamentally uneasy, be they by KEF, TAD or the latest by Genelec. I understand the advantages of the configuration, but a tweeter's vibration amplitude is very small, in the order of micrometers, nanometers even, at very low levels. How can the loading parameters be defined if the surrounding driver, acting as a waveguide in this case, moves millimeters either way, i.e. a thousand or a million times more than the amplitude of the wave they are supposed to be "guiding"? Isn't this bound to lead to a massive loss of definition, even in the face of benign-looking steady-state measurements?

Considering that 1/4 wavelength of 20kHz is 4.3mm, it shouldn't be hard to understand why it does not lead to "massive loss of definition." Sure, extremely high excursion might start to cause some issues which could be measured similar to intermodulation, but the ratios of Xmax vs. wavelength have to start becoming significant.

Most over-analysis of hardware by audiophiles is done in extreme isolation rather than in a more holistic manner. A coaxial driver is a non-ideal driver to the idealist, yet quite elegant when well executed to the realist.

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
Considering that 1/4 wavelength of 20kHz is 4.3mm, it shouldn't be hard to understand why it does not lead to "massive loss of definition."
You are taking the wrong set of data. What you should be looking at is amplitude of vibration or "particle displacement", not wavelength in air. They are two completely different things.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please explain how the particles displaced at the source do not affect the particles displaced and colliding at your eardrums if not through wave behavior and the subsequent wavelengths mentioned.

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
They do but that's beside the point. As far as I know, Webster's horn equation presupposes an immovable horn. I'll be happy to be shown a comparable analysis based on a moving horn.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Classic "pass the buck" Fish.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
They do but that's beside the point. As far as I know, Webster's horn equation presupposes an immovable horn. I'll be happy to be shown a comparable analysis based on a moving horn.

All measures in audio are relative to frequency, wavelength and period (nothing new). "Large" or "small" are entirely different things at 20kHz vs. 20Hz. "Moving" is subject to the same relative considerations vs. frequency, and this case is very similar to that of a wide band driver. Also remember that in the case of a separate horn, sound produced by a moving horn would not be wanted. In this case the moving "horn" is the cone, which is supposed to make the resulting sound.

Yes, there will be some modulation, but unless you have lots of excursion, the relative amount is very low, just as it is in a wide band driver. This is where 3-4 way implementations with a coax have notable advantages, as the excursion remains relatively low. It is then up to the speaker designer and enthusiast to decide if the very significant spacial advantages are more or less advantageous than a non moving waveguide.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

fishnchips

Banned
May 8, 2011
"Large" or "small" are entirely different things at 20kHz vs. 20Hz.
Yes, indeed, and sometimes "small" can actually mean extremely small:
http://www.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/...isalignment-of-acoustic-signals---Kunchur.pdf
http://www.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Temporal-resolution-by-bandwidth-restriction--Kunchur.pdf
The result of ~6 microseconds in the twin papers above is equivalent to a mere ~2 mm.
"Moving" is subject to the same relative considerations vs. frequency
This too is true. Consider for example an additional factor: A tweeter is typically vibrating at extremely tiny amplitudes. In order for it to work at all, it needs to be mounted on a Newtonian frame of reference that is fixed in relation to the vibrating element. Otherwise chaotic behavior will ensue. I do not know what degree of relative immobility in relation to the frame can be achieved in the context of a concentric driver, but I suspect it ain't much to write home about. This would gravely impair treble resolution as well, over and above the impairment I described in my initial post.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing