It is (SO) the recording...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My journeys on audiophile boards have recommended Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall" as an exceptionally clear, natural recording. I just acquired it yesterday, didn't have a chance to listen to it last night. Being lazy, and camped on the couch away from my systems, harassing all of you on the internet, I decided a few moments ago to give it a listen from here. Through the cheap DAC, microscopic lofi amp and tiny little speakers in my MacBook Pro.

Is it "full range?" No. Will it sound better on my speaker or headphone system? Sure. But the clarity and quality of the recording comes through. I already know this is, as reported, a great recording.

Tim

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My journeys on audiophile boards have recommended Neil Young's "Live at Massey Hall" as an exceptionally clear, natural recording. I just acquired it yesterday, didn't have a chance to listen to it last night. Being lazy, and camped on the couch away from my systems, harassing all of you on the internet, I decided a few moments ago to give it a listen from here. Through the cheap DAC, microscopic lofi amp and tiny little speakers in my MacBook Pro.

Is it "full range?" No. Will it sound better on my speaker or headphone system? Sure. But the clarity and quality of the recording comes through. I already know this is, as reported, a great recording.

Tim

The CD doesn't sound as good as the DVD,but all in all a great recording. The ambience of Massey Hall really makes it exceptional.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The CD doesn't sound as good as the DVD,but all in all a great recording. The ambience of Massey Hall really makes it exceptional.

Yep, listening now on the speakers and getting that ambience and the breadth and depth of the guitar. Very nice recording. A bit odd that they mixed the applause hard left and right, but I'm glad they left the single voice/instrument mono. I like this quite a bit better than the classic studio recordings of many of these songs.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought this on vinyl when it was first released, and have played it already many, many times. It is (IMO) the single best live recording I have. Not only is the recording a masterpiece, so is Neil's performance. He is funny, he is serious, and he was obviously having a great time. Massey Hall is a wonderful venue with terrific acoustics, which played a significant part in making this what it is.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I bought this on vinyl when it was first released, and have played it already many, many times. It is (IMO) the single best live recording I have. Not only is the recording a masterpiece, so is Neil's performance. He is funny, he is serious, and he was obviously having a great time. Massey Hall is a wonderful venue with terrific acoustics, which played a significant part in making this what it is.

+1. i'm a Neil Young fan, maybe almost a 'fanatic'. This is Neil at the height of his powers, at a point where he is at his creative best, likely his best compositions, his voice is as smooth and clear as i've heard it, and it's a very intimate and wonderfully natural recording. i have the CD and it's very good. the Vinyl is very very good.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
+1. i'm a Neil Young fan, maybe almost a 'fanatic'. This is Neil at the height of his powers, at a point where he is at his creative best, likely his best compositions, his voice is as smooth and clear as i've heard it, and it's a very intimate and wonderfully natural recording. i have the CD and it's very good. the Vinyl is very very good.

I'm really enjoying this. I haven't listened to these songs in a long time and now here they are refreshed and renewed. You're right, Mike, it isn't just a wonderful recording in a wonderful venue, it is a great performance. Like I said before, the best I've heard of many of these songs. Why this sat in a vault for decades I'll never know.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
From Wikipedia, but I had read it elsewhere (just can't remember).

According to Young, "This is the album that should have come out between
After the Gold Rush and Harvest...David Briggs, my producer, was
adamant that this should be the record, but I was very excited about the takes
we got on Harvest, and wanted Harvest out. David disagreed. As I
listen to this today, I can see why

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tim

Are you sure it wasn't expectation bias Tim? :p :p :p

I'll check it out anyway since I've come to trust your subjective prowess :cool:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Are you sure it wasn't expectation bias Tim? :p :p :p

I'll check it out anyway since I've come to trust your subjective prowess :cool:

Could be, though I'm not a huge Neil Young fan. I like him, but only have a handful of his recordings.

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
Pheloinious, I understand what you are saying. But the problem is that you have to listen to Neal Young and his nasal howling. I don't know how many audiophiles force themselves to listen to Norah Jones, remastered Linda Rondstadt, or an SACD production of a great musical piece by a marginal artist - just because it "sounds good". It also lets the gear shine. But, of course, that audiophile crap does not satisfy the soul. And that's why I prefer equipment that is more forgiving to the recordings I listen to, which are not always the best, but lets me enjoy the music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sorry caesar, but I'm not understanding your comment at all.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Pheloinious, I understand what you are saying. But the problem is that you have to listen to Neal Young and his nasal howling. I don't know how many audiophiles force themselves to listen to Norah Jones, remastered Linda Rondstadt, or an SACD production of a great musical piece by a marginal artist - just because it "sounds good". It also lets the gear shine. But, of course, that audiophile crap does not satisfy the soul. And that's why I prefer equipment that is more forgiving to the recordings I listen to, which are not always the best, but lets me enjoy the music.

I like Neil Young's nasal howling. I like Norah Jones, too. Marginal SACDs that "sound good?" I have no use for those. But really, the only thing that my unforgiving monitors render unlistenable is the worst of the modern brick-walled masters. And its not the volume, it's the exaggerated treble. I can make it pretty tolerable with a bit of EQ, which, unlike euphonic components, can then be reversed for good recordings.

Tim

caesar

May 30, 2010
Sorry caesar, but I'm not understanding your comment at all.

John, all I am saying is that why listen to a Diana Krall CD or a Norah Jones cd or some overplayed Elton John disk just because it sounds good? But I would take a Police or a Hendrix cd from the 80's, with all of its hardness, flatness, and the rest of its digital imperfections, but would rather enjoy the music than play "audiophile". I guess I prefer good music to good sound.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, all I am saying is that why listen to a Diana Krall CD or a Norah Jones cd or some overplayed Elton John disk just because it sounds good? But I would take a Police or a Hendrix cd from the 80's, with all of its hardness, flatness, and the rest of its digital imperfections, but would rather enjoy the music than play "audiophile". I guess I prefer good music to good sound.

Ok...I've got it now, and I agree. I can't say that I've not been a partaker of some of these audiophile pressings, but they are far and few in between. And I can tell you it's been at least a decade since the last breakdown.

I buy music that I like, and I hope that most of the time they sound good (which they do), but if the odd one here or there isn't up to snuff....that's ok too. I will still play it as music is what drives me.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
But I would take a Police or a Hendrix cd from the 80's, with all of its hardness, flatness, and the rest of its digital imperfections, but would rather enjoy the music than play "audiophile". I guess I prefer good music to good sound.

I completely agree with you. If the music doesn't connect I couldn't care less. If it does how good the recording is will be tolerated in proportion to how much a personal connection I have to the music.

Rob:)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA

Very profound. Some audiophiles listen to their gear; others listen to their music.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I also have some "audiophile recordings", like the Dark Side of the Moon SACD. I use it to show my system off to my friends, who are likely to be familiar with the music, and not take me as a complete nut who needs to be committed. I used to love the Dark Side of the Moon when I was younger, but if I never heard it again, I wouldn't miss it. But I do appreciate the good sound and wish the music I love was available on SACD.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I used to love the Dark Side of the Moon when I was younger, but if I never heard it again, I wouldn't miss it.

Wow that's a shame if you love the piece. If I enjoy it I never loose it. I never understood people who moved on beyond their roots and forgot them. I still listen to music I liked when I was a kid say 40 years ago. I would miss music that from that time if for some reason I couldn't go back for a visit.

Rob:)

caesar

May 30, 2010
I had the lyrics to the album memorized, but I think I listened to it so much, it no longer does anything for me. The same is true - unfortunately - for all classic rock hits. That's why I like the Deep Tracks channel on XM, as it's mostly fresh.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing