The sound of Chinese Tape Project

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I just got one of their 5 albums from China, they charged similar level of Tape Project but can pick just one single album, this one is violin music and the rest 4 are pop vocal , They say to use A820 in dubbing also can be dub to order in size or speed even in track,
After listening, no wow from me, I am sure the recording is in digital and dub into tape compare to our pure analog recording, I can tell the different, less of live life feeling
No one can predict the Chinese market, once when they open up in this way, in future they can buy the copy rights from DECCA RCA EMI etc.dubbing in huge volume then we can have more choice of music at the same time cheaper in price too
tony ma

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 278

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I just got one of their 5 albums from China, they charged similar level of Tape Project but can pick just one single album, this one is violin music and the rest 4 are pop vocal , They say to use A820 in dubbing also can be dub to order in size or speed even in track,
After listening, no wow from me, I am sure the recording is in digital and dub into tape compare to our pure analog recording, I can tell the different, less of live life feeling
No one can predict the Chinese market, once when they open up in this way, in future they can buy the copy rights from DECCA RCA EMI etc.dubbing in huge volume then we can have more choice of music at the same time cheaper in price too
tony ma

Tony:

What are they going to dub? These major labels/companies are not going to send the "master tape" to China! Music companies are only going to send the master tapes to a mastering engineer they trust: eg RCA rarely sends a classical tape outside of NY; that's why George Marino at Sterling Sound gets a lot of the work. Bernie Grundman was a real exception to the rule. When Chesky wanted to send the master tape to the UK and have Tim de P remaster the recording, RCA said no way Jose.

So they'll send if anything, a second or third gen tape to these people. Most likely, they'll as you've experienced, just send a digital copy. Or how do you know they just take a CD and put it on tape?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Tony:

What are they going to dub? These major labels/companies are not going to send the "master tape" to China! Music companies are only going to send the master tapes to a mastering engineer they trust: eg RCA rarely sends a classical tape outside of NY; that's why George Marino at Sterling Sound gets a lot of the work. Bernie Grundman was a real exception to the rule. When Chesky wanted to send the master tape to the UK and have Tim de P remaster the recording, RCA said no way Jose.

So they'll send if anything, a second or third gen tape to these people. Most likely, they'll as you've experienced, just send a digital copy. Or how do you know they just take a CD and put it on tape?

Hi Myles
I have no idea of the musical industrial market, I only know today the Chinese got a lot of US$ and try to buy something from US even the big organizations but the US government won't let it, for consumers, lady looking for LV guys started looking for Hi End audio, expensive and big name is the most sound quality not too sure, all Hi End makers target to this market already once when they set up a high quality system a high quality soft ware also need, I guess there so many sleeping title ( not well known classical or some old pops or soft music) in the warehouse and no action from those big names . if Chinese just only look for good sound and don't care of the contents , why not ?
tony ma

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles
I have no idea of the musical industrial market, I only know today the Chinese got a lot of US$ and try to buy something from US even the big organizations but the US government won't let it, for consumers, lady looking for LV guys started looking for Hi End audio, expensive and big name is the most sound quality not too sure, all Hi End makers target to this market already once when they set up a high quality system a high quality soft ware also need, I guess there so many sleeping title ( not well known classical or some old pops or soft music) in the warehouse and no action from those big names . if Chinese just only look for good sound and don't care of the contents , why not ?
tony ma

Tony, do you think if you or I offered to pay RCA the initial royalties fees on 10 or 20000 copy minimum, they would give it to us? Sorry, no way. Only way we would get the original master tape is agreeing to have it sent to someone like Bob Ludwig, George Marino, Bernie Grundman and to a lesser extent Steve Hoffman.

No, it won't happen and if it does, like I said, it will be digital copies or multiple late gens.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Tony, do you think if you or I offered to pay RCA the initial royalties fees on 10 or 20000 copy minimum, they would give it to us? Sorry, no way. Only way we would get the original master tape is agreeing to have it sent to someone like Bob Ludwig, George Marino, Bernie Grundman and to a lesser extent Steve Hoffman.

No, it won't happen and if it does, like I said, it will be digital copies or multiple late gens.

Myles Will they do garage sell for some of no more value master ? I guess copy to LP or CD has to be big volume need good contents for bigger demand, but I know a lot of craze audiophile only listen to the sound quality not contents and tape source will be next target after LP came back, master dub in small volume will fit for this, We are making master by ourselves now, but limited in classical chamber music only, and we are looking for more better pro musicians ( not the top of the world) come to join us, most of them has a job in some world's orchestra or winner in some world's competitions and do not have a recording album of his own ( can't make money in selling CD), we make pure analog recording copy to tape and try to let this kind of combination step in to the world in a different path
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
tony ma

I guess the Chinese don't make tape yet, RMG is made in Holland. That's one thing that's not "made in China"!

Tony,

Is that 468, 900 or 911?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I guess the Chinese don't make tape yet, RMG is made in Holland. That's one thing that's not "made in China"!

Tony,

Is that 468, 900 or 911?
Roger
I am not sure of the tape number, I am not try to say they will start to manufacture tape, they start make copy to tape from their recording but from thrie digital recording to tape so sofar only have 5 album, and I believe that tape machine in there still not start yet but Hi End TT sold a lot if they open up the way of tape, their will no more machine in Ebay or price rocket high like 20 years age those anti transmitting tubes took over by the Japenese
tony ma

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
i know when I get master tapes from UMG that they are shipped overnight and I can only keep them 48hr. I had to show them proof of insurance, where they will be stored and what the playback chain would be.

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
With $3,045,000,000,000 in foreign exchange reserves, China has enough random cash under the sofa cushions to buy a media company or two, or three. And if a Chinese company were to do so, it would be interesting to see how they feel about copyright violators.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
With $3,045,000,000,000 in foreign exchange reserves, China has enough random cash under the sofa cushions to buy a media company or two, or three. And if a Chinese company were to do so, it would be interesting to see how they feel about copyright violators.

maybe, but since their economic culture does not respect artist's rights, it's unlikely a Chinese company would pay much to acquire them. there would first need to be a fundamental shift in their basic viewpoints.....which will not happen short term, if ever.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing