Ripping SACDs the right way

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I bought 2, but I found them at local pawn shops... You might want to check there. You can also ask them to boot it up to confirm the firmware ver.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
1) All functionallity will remain the same

2) 3.55 is what you want

3) There is a 3.55 firmware driver to install

4) There is a 3.55 file readily available for installation

Just make sure you do not connect it to the internet with "automatic updates" selected.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Yes, and be careful using the network daemon option (ripping via network) in ripper v36, cuz often times connecting to the internet automagically turns on "automatic updates". If so, turn it off immediately. Me, I continue to sneaker-net it (USB thumb drives since PS3 and extraction desktop are 5 ft from each other).

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have another question. I know one can plug a USB Drive into the Playstation and rip the ISO image to that drive. Can one also plug a USB Hard drive into the Playstation's USB port and do the same?

Barr
Yes.
Maybe. Depends on the drive.

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Well it is an interesting tale, I am giving seller the benefit of a doubt for now.

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
I m trying to be reserved until tomorrow, waiting to hear back from seller. This is the box it came in - wrapped only with a layer of newspaper.

box.jpg

box2.jpg

box3.jpg

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
That's not good.... :(

Let's just say when I received the box I was a more than a little surprised it was packed that way. With one layer of newspaper around the Playstation 3 itself, there was also two controllers, a USB fan, and a Cobra USB dongle in the box. When I tried to start it, Green light, yellow light, blinking red light, aka YLOD.

Came from Florida to California.

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Well the good news is Paypal using credit card for goods and services, seller originally wanted Paypal using gift option.

Idiocratease

Jan 19, 2011
UK
Hi Bruce,

In another thread (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...to-evaluate-DACs&p=48325&viewfull=1#post48325) you said...

My question is, what is the best way to rip an SACD, from the analog out using a quality A-to-D converter like a Metric Halo ULN-8, or from a digital out using Meitner gear or some other means of extracting the hi-rez audio?

Intuitively, it would seem that converting from the analog signal would not be the purist way to rip an SACD. Because essentially the recording will have gone from analog to digital, then to analog and back to digital again. Lots of conversions.

Since you've been doing this for quite some time, I'd love to get your comments on the "right way" to rip an SACD and what gear would yield the best results.

Gary

My recent efforts, which have been quite successful are:

1) oppo dv981hd DVD player (£24 off eBay)
2) Aten vc880 hdmi to spdif converter (ca £120)
3) spdif to m-audio 192 soundcard, capture using cubase 4
4) invert phase (yes odd, but somewhere in the hdmi/Aten the phase is inverted. Aten claim it's not them, so maybe the oppo. Anyway, something to check for in general).
5) manually separate rip into tracks in Nero wave lab
6) compress to flac, bdpoweramp.

Purists might hate the dsd to PCM conversion going on, but the sound is just perfect so far as I can tell.

Indeed I have used the foobar abx comparator to check 88/24 vs downsampled 44/16 which clear ~99% detection in double blind mode.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing