Ripping SACDs the right way

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Yes, "quite a few" is an understatement! The ones we have been testing would say upwards of 60%!

How are you able to tell if it was originally converted from PCM to DSD?

I also heard or read that some SACD and DVD-A were "upconverted" from 16 bit/44.1K - How does one find out these things?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What is your thinking on conversion losses? Did the PCM-to-DSD conversion capture 100% of the information in the PCM recording?

There is no 100% capture. It always has a loss.

How are you able to tell if it was originally converted from PCM to DSD?

I also heard or read that some SACD and DVD-A were "upconverted" from 16 bit/44.1K - How does one find out these things?

We do spectral analysis, look at waterfall graphs and try to ask the labels a lot of questions.
I'd say at least 20% of the SACD's were upconverted. Also we have seen many DVD-A AND Blu-ray discs that have been upconverted as well.

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
I am about to swap my 2.66GHz i7 920 for a 3.2Ghz i7 960 and am doing comparison benchmarks with SACD Extract, the conversion apps used to bridge that output to FLAC and the Clown BD package (Blu-ray ripper). Because my four cores ran flat out at 100% usage on SACD Extract, I expect to see a 20.3% reduction in the elapsed time with the 960 based on the 20.3% clock speed difference. I will post when the swap and the different runs have been made.

Jeff

JohnT

Dec 24, 2011
Thanks to the efforts of all involved here!

I just wrapped up a 2-ch ripping to DSDIFF project using SACD-Ripper. I did 117 SACD's which take up 230 gig...

Three refusals:
BluesQuest / on AudioQuest Music
Rebecca Pidgeon / The Raven / on Chesky
Yo-Yo Ma / Solo / on Sony Classical

Anyone have any experience with those three?

Now on to the AudioGate tool to go to PCM.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I have the Raven and Yo-Yo ripped. I find that sometimes the PS3 needs to load the SACD and start playing. Then stop the music and move back over to the games/ripper menu, and restart the ripper. I have 370 SACD discs (counting disc 1 and 2 in some cases) ripped and only found one that it would never load...almost as if my SACD is counterfeit (it only ever loads the redbook layer....RCA Living Stereo Saint Saens/Boston Symph/Munch. Weird.

If you need any hep on the next steps I have version 1.2.2 of my "SACD Rippper for Dummies" pdf available. Just PM me with your email.

By the way, pure DSD (Mytek DAC) is sublime, especially piano. Most realistic I've ever heard.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have the Raven and Yo-Yo ripped. I find that sometimes the PS3 needs to load the SACD and start playing. Then stop the music and move back over to the games/ripper menu, and restart the ripper. I have 370 SACD discs (counting disc 1 and 2 in some cases) ripped and only found one that it would never load...almost as if my SACD is counterfeit (it only ever loads the redbook layer....RCA Living Stereo Saint Saens/Boston Symph/Munch. Weird.
Interesting. I have a "check disc" of this (and most of the other LS SACDs) which you might want to try.

Kal

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The PS3 is a pretty crappy sounding transport, when compared to even very cheap Sony bluray players.
But one good thing is that it's audio quality will sound better if you guys would shut down and restart the PS3 prior to playing every individual tracks. When you erase residual playback track memory, sound quality (soundstaging size, imaging focus, details, musicality....) is dramatically improved. I haven't bothered to mod my 2 PS3 units for ripping function, so I don't know if the ripper allows you to each track individually. If it does, make sure you do the power down/power up sequence prior to ripping every track.

Unplugging the LAN cable helps improve sound too, even via it's digital outputs....

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
The PS3 is a pretty crappy sounding transport, when compared to even very cheap Sony bluray players.
But one good thing is that it's audio quality will sound better if you guys would shut down and restart the PS3 prior to playing every individual tracks. When you erase residual playback track memory, sound quality (soundstaging size, imaging focus, details, musicality....) is dramatically improved.

Why would that happen?

I haven't bothered to mod my 2 PS3 units for ripping function, so I don't know if the ripper allows you to each track individually. If it does, make sure you do the power down/power up sequence prior to ripping every track.

Unplugging the LAN cable helps improve sound too, even via it's digital outputs....

The ripper produces a one-to-one copy of the disc. There is no deterioration. Period. None of that that you posted is necessary.

Jeff

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
But one good thing is that it's audio quality will sound better if you guys would shut down and restart the PS3 prior to playing every individual tracks. When you erase residual playback track memory, sound quality (soundstaging size, imaging focus, details, musicality....) is dramatically improved. I haven't bothered to mod my 2 PS3 units for ripping function, so I don't know if the ripper allows you to each track individually. If it does, make sure you do the power down/power up sequence prior to ripping every track.
Oh yeah. Let me add that overhead to the already forbidding prospect of ripping 2500 SACDs. Estimating 5-8 tracks per disc, that's well over 10,000 power cycles for an aging PS3 (and for me).

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Jerome,
You misunderstand. This subject is NOT about using the PS3 as a player/transport at all. This is simply about using the custom hacked PS3 as a ripper...it's player/transport capabilities are moot. The PS3 rips to an ISO (disc image).

Madman

Jul 10, 2012
A "SACD Ripper for Dummies" is almost complete! :D

Hi, I am a newbee from germany. Bad english, but golden ears and loving music in audiophile quality.
I've already ripped my CDs and the redbooklayer from my SACDs (ca. 60 pieces). Now I want to rip the SACD-Layers. I've bought a suitable PS3 today and now, please: How can I get your SACd-Ripper for dummies in the latest release ?

Thanks.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Hi, I am a newbee from germany. Bad english, but golden ears and loving music in audiophile quality.
I've already ripped my CDs and the redbooklayer from my SACDs (ca. 60 pieces). Now I want to rip the SACD-Layers. I've bought a suitable PS3 today and now, please: How can I get your SACd-Ripper for dummies in the latest release ?

Thanks.

I wrote the guide. PM sent with guide and links. Welcome to Whats Best. :)

Madman

Jul 10, 2012
Thank you Ted

I wrote the guide. PM sent with guide and links. Welcome to Whats Best. :)

Thanks a lot, Ted. I've already downloaded all the links and your guide seems to be easy. Now I have to wait for my PS3 and I will start "step by step". I hope to post positive results after next weekend. In Germany it's late now, so I say Good Night

marktherob2011

Jul 13, 2012
please send me your dummies guide for SACD

If you need any hep on the next steps I have version 1.2.2 of my "SACD Rippper for Dummies" pdf available. Just PM me with your email.

By the way, pure DSD (Mytek DAC) is sublime, especially piano. Most realistic I've ever heard.

please send me your dummies guide for SACD

thx Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing