Ripping SACDs the right way

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Yes until there's a better, faster way.

We can hope that Oppo will add SACD-ISO or DSD streaming to the 93/95 at some point: A recent firmware update now allows DVD and BluRay ISO streaming from attached USB device. Whether Oppo does this or another company probably depends on how much demand they get from folks wanting this.

The actual ripping of the SACD-ISO is fairly straightforward, simple and can be somewhat automated now thanks to Mr. Wicked and the PS3. Getting it from DSD to PCM is much more time consuming - at least for the multichannel discs. And if Korg ever adds multi-channel ability to Audiogate, then the MCH process will be a lot easier.

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Isn't the cool factor of flipping through cover art on your display and pressing a button to listen worth some investment in time?

This is the nice thing about FLAC: You can use album art and all manner of tagging to your heart's content to create really sophisticated play lists and so forth. This is a big advantage over wave, ISO and other lossless methods.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I wound up using Pyramix to convert the DSD to AIFF (176.4/24bits) and then converted the AIFF to FLAC with Foobar and then MP3TAG for tagging the flac files. I then backed everything up to an external drive and uploaded to my NAS.

Just wondering why you're going the extra step of DSD->AIFF->FLAC, when Pyramix can create FLAC files?

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Just wondering why you're going the extra step of DSD->AIFF->FLAC, when Pyramix can create FLAC files?

The trial version I have would not do multichannel FLAC - only 2 channel FLAC

Even for 2 channel it was sort of awkward with the way you have to get the tracks on the timeline and then do the album publish thing. Much easier with Audiogate for just DSD to FLAC

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The actual ripping of the SACD-ISO is fairly straightforward, simple and can be somewhat automated now thanks to Mr. Wicked and the PS3. Getting it from DSD to PCM is much more time consuming - at least for the multichannel discs. And if Korg ever adds multi-channel ability to Audiogate, then the MCH process will be a lot easier.
That's why I keep monitoring threads like this. I am waiting for the time to come that words like "fairly," "somewhat" and "will be" are not needed.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
That's why I keep monitoring threads like this. I am waiting for the time to come that words like "fairly," "somewhat" and "will be" are not needed.

Just buy a Sonona system and transport and it's easy!

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
Kal, ripping to ISO *is* simple, and extracting the DSD files is also simple. If you have a high-end DAC, then you are done at that point. Someone like me wanting to use a networked media player needs to do further conversion, though there is a 3rd party app for Popcorn Hour just around the corner that will read the DSD files and integrate the playing of SACD into the user interface.

Jeff

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah I got that; "you're just doin' your job."*

* Quote from the movie 'Leon The Professional'; mentioned by Gary Oldman,
also starring Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Danny Aiello, and directed by Luc Besson.

Very cool Bruce! :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing