Ripping SACDs the right way

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Outstanding work, Bill. I hope to follow in your footsteps in the near future. If I run into any issues, I'd like to PM you if you don't mind.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
AFAIK, discWelder only works with sample rates at or below 96K and I don't know if it will do MCH conversions.

Great work Bill..

The DiscWelder software we're using is the one that came with the Tascam DV-RA1000HD. It does DSD -> PCM conversions.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Amir, Bill & Jeff:

Do you think it is possible to set up a new thread (or multiple threads) for each of the DSD converting software options with screen shots of each step in the configuration and conversion of the DSD files? This would be of incredible value to our members who would like to embark on ripping their SACDs to their computer servers.

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
Of course, if you think that there will be enough "content" for dedicated threads.

Jeff

Amir, Bill & Jeff:

Do you think it is possible to set up a new thread (or multiple threads) for each of the DSD converting software options with screen shots of each step in the configuration and conversion of the DSD files? This would be of incredible value to our members who would like to embark on ripping their SACDs to their computer servers.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Amir, Bill & Jeff:

Are you talking about ripping SACD's or just converting the DSD files to PCM?

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
Converting is my guess. This thread covers the actual ripping part. For those of us w/o DACs, and looking to digitally serve the data to our theater/audio systems, getting the files into a suitable format is the one problem area.

billh

Nov 12, 2011
For the DSD to PCM part, the Audiogate software is so simple and straightforward I don't think anyone should have any issues with it and it is what I would recommend for 2 channel since it is free, works great and sounds great. The MCH is an entirely different matter altogether as there really isn't a good, inexpensive and simple way to do this yet. The actual ripping part (ISO and DSD/DIFF) is also a challenge as it is a DIY'er type of thing right now but it does work as Jeff and I will attest to.

The only issues with any of the DSD conversion software is how you setup for filtering, gain and dithering. In my tests, and this is just me, I could not tell a lot of difference between the different dithering options. The filter is a simple concept and I preferred the soft rolloff as opposed to the sharp drop. The gain can probably be left as-is or zero.

I didn't have any of the reported "clicking" in between tracks on any of my discs.

My collection of SACD's is around 200 so if you have a lot of discs, the easier and more automated you can make the process, the better. You are going to need a big hard drive especially if you plan on keeping the ISO, the DSD and the FLAC files altogether as these are all going to be fairly large, especially with the MCH SACD's. I bought a dedicated 1.5TB drive just to store my DVD-A and SACD rips. Hard drives are cheap (at least they are here in the US).

Also, like ice cream, everyone has a different taste so what sounds good to me and my musical library may not work for someone else. I like classic rock, folk, blues and Jazz. I don't listen to much classical. And I might not be as 'purist' as the next guy. My thinking is that the resultant PCM files should be a lot better than any CD version of the song. I have both an Oppo BDP-93 universal player and a Denon 5910CI universal player that will both send DSD directly to my Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro and I can't tell any difference myself in my limited listening tests so far.

Once I get done with my SACD's (I've already done my DVD-A collection) I'll be moving on to vinyl rips of my favorites - joy, joy.;)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My collection of SACD's is around 200 so if you have a lot of discs, the easier and more automated you can make the process, the better. You are going to need a big hard drive especially if you plan on keeping the ISO, the DSD and the FLAC files altogether as these are all going to be fairly large, especially with the MCH SACD's.
I know. I know. The process is too tedious for me even to consider starting.:(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is a thread that I follow since the very beginning, and it is most interesting in these days and age.

I just want to thanks all the participants for their great contribution, as I know a lot of people can benefit from it.

I will keep following this thread on a daily basis like a religious sanctum.

Again thanks to all,
Bob

P.S. Over 500 SACDs here.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Tedious it is......"If I were as tedious as a king, I could find it in my heart to bestow it all of your worship."

"Balls" said the queen, "If I had two I would be the King."

billh

Nov 12, 2011
Well, I am done with my SACD conversions! Yay! Those multichannel conversions are a major pain-o in the butt-o. If I had to do it again, I might just wait for some better software to come along for the MCH. If Korg ever comes out with a MCH version of Audiogate, this would be a BIG timesaver.

I wound up using Pyramix to convert the DSD to AIFF (176.4/24bits) and then converted the AIFF to FLAC with Foobar and then MP3TAG for tagging the flac files. I then backed everything up to an external drive and uploaded to my NAS.

I had some problems with some discs and some tracks on certain discs and had to use Saracon (88.2/24bits) for those.

The resulting file sizes are HUGE and as a result, moving, copying and manipulating the files is very time consuming.

Those of you with hundreds of multichannel discs beware. I'd recommend a dedicated computer with a fast processor and a big hard drive and lots of time and patience.

Over the holidays I'll be listening and comparing and will post back any weird or noteworthy issues.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Those of you with hundreds of multichannel discs beware. I'd recommend a dedicated computer with a fast processor and a big hard drive and lots of time and patience.
I can buy the fast processor and big hard drive but where can I get the patience?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing