mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That's cheap for a sealed UHQR copy.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
If you had the chance to read the description of how the master tape was played on ATR-102 and used best cutting machines and tools..., this LP may be better than anything ever released.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't think I've ever heard as much anticipation about a release as this one. I probably should get on the pre-order list, as this may well be sold out before it hits the street!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you had the chance to read the description of how the master tape was played on ATR-102 and used best cutting machines and tools..., this LP may be better than anything ever released.

And solid-state :(

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

I've posted this in another thread, but here it is again: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/75015?store=acousticsounds&keywords=NL051111

I'm already on the pre-order list - for a low-numbered copy.

Here's the video of the pressing:

I'm excited. If you look at 4:40 onwards, Chad's playing a clear vinyl test pressing!!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Gary:
Thanks for the video link. It is very interesting to see how the Tea LPs are made.
Just ordered both LP and the SACD from Acoustic Sounds (instead of Music Direct in hope that I will get them faster...). It will make #7 and #8 of various formats and releases of the Tea...but I like every one of them. ;-)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have pre-ordered this LP. I hope it's as good as the hype says it is.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ordered mine today. Apparently the LP's won't be numbered editions:confused:. Also, the release has been set back to mid July at the earliest:(

If the advance press is anything to go by, this pressing should be truly something else. I will interested to see how much better than my Island Pink label original.

Wander what is holding up the release:confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ordered mine today. Apparently the LP's won't be numbered editions:confused:. Also, the release has been set back to mid July at the earliest:(

If the advance press is anything to go by, this pressing should be truly something else. I will interested to see how much better than my Island Pink label original.

Wander what is holding up the release:confused:

Me too! Not a huge George Marino fan as didn't really care for his remastering of the Power of the Orchestra, etc. Just sounded solid-state. Wish Steve Hoffman was doing the mastering :(

Would imagine Chad wants everything perfect before issuing the first LP from his new pressing facility.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
See release has now been pushed back to 8/1 :(

mep

Apr 20, 2010
it went from June to July and now Aug? WTF?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark, It's not WTF it's WBF...:rolleyes:

At this rate, I suspect that the Tea album may be ready for Xmas....only question is... what year:(

Luckily, the Co, that I ordered from had the good sense not to charge my credit card until they can fulfill the order. Must be a little frustrating for them:eek:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Just got the shipping notification for both the LP and SACD:

Departed FedEx location
LENEXA, KS Shipment Dates
Ship date Aug 10, 2011
Estimated delivery Aug 13, 2011
Destination
Sammamish, WA

My strategy of ordering directly from the Acoustic Sounds may be paying off.

Ki

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I received my shipping notification for the Cat Stevens LP yesterday, 8/10/2011.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Me too! Not a huge George Marino fan as didn't really care for his remastering of the Power of the Orchestra, etc. Just sounded solid-state. Wish Steve Hoffman was doing the mastering :(

Would imagine Chad wants everything perfect before issuing the first LP from his new pressing facility.

Wow, I just got through listening to the new Tea.......WHAT a DISSAPOINTMENT:(

It might be me, BUT I felt that this pressing was so very 'solid state' sounding as well:(

No warmth, no real depth, Guitars that do not sound anything like the 'real thing' ...a slightly noisy pressing...(inexcusable in this day and age, IMO) a definite 'glare' throughout the record and worse- a general lack of specific imaging...:(:(

I am a little "bummed" as I had such high hopes for this LP. OTOH, there are occasional glimpses of
something ok, mostly in the reproduction of the bottom end...But that is so infrequent:(

Not sure what is going on here, is it my system?? The whole LP is just so marginal......:eek:
OTOH, I am beginning to wander if the original tapes are that good....why, because if i reflect on
my original pink label Island copy, it really isn't that great either. Maybe the original recording just isn't up to what is possible today or:confused:

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Davey,
Exactly my sentiments. Track one on side one has rumble on my system. Overall, I was left underwhelmed and wondered too if the master tape isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Mark

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Davey and Mark,

Wow, I just got through listening to the new Tea.......WHAT a DISSAPOINTMENT:(

It might be me, BUT I felt that this pressing was so very 'solid state' sounding as well:(

No warmth, no real depth, Guitars that do not sound anything like the 'real thing' ...a slightly noisy pressing...(inexcusable in this day and age, IMO) a definite 'glare' throughout the record and worse- a general lack of specific imaging...:(:(

I am a little "bummed" as I had such high hopes for this LP. OTOH, there are occasional glimpses of
something ok, mostly in the reproduction of the bottom end...But that is so infrequent:(

Not sure what is going on here, is it my system?? The whole LP is just so marginal......:eek:
OTOH, I am beginning to wander of the original tapes are that good....why, because if i reflect on
my original pink label Island copy, it really isn't that great either. Maybe the original recording just isn't up to what is possible today or:confused:

Sorry to hear that :(
FWIW, my extremely preliminary impression of the Fleetwood Mac re-issue leaves me quite curious...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing