I have just been offered........

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Buy em already. Given the market you could recoup your money in sapre parts. Send me one. Seriously.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The power cord should come with, if missed you need to change the IEC socket, but they can be audition shouldn't be problem
tony ma

Just one note - there are a few sellers at the german ebay who usually have them for sale at a cheap price.
And you can write them in english!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a feeling they are both going to be in fairly decent condition as they were only used during the band's recording sessions. I'm surely not going to keep both of them, so I'll able to recoup a good portion of the $500 via a resale. From what I've seen, the price on these units is all over the place. They can be had for $200-$250 all the way up to $700-$750. I'd say the average is probably around $350-$400. All of this a still pure speculation, and I need to see both units operating.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was informed yesterday that the person selling these units wouldn't be available next Tuesday, and could I come Sunday morning (today). Will I did and just got back.

Here are my observations.

1. They look rough IMO with what appears to be smoke damage (see discolouration).
2. All functions work properly with no glitches.
3. Listening through headphones it sounded fine with no dropouts or other anomalies.
3. Could not take pictures of the heads as it would have to be taken apart.
4. This is a 2-track high-speed deck (7.5 and 15ips). This surpsied me as I thought the A77 only came in a 3.75/7.5 configuration. I have since found out that it also comes in an even lower speed configuration.
5. I omitted to lift the faceplate to check for a Model No. Tape seemed to be moving smoothly without any hesitation.
6. There was scraping noise coming from the left reel, although the metal left reel looked fine.
7. The right metal reel was warped on the back side.

I've attached some pictures and await your opinion. Please be brutally honest as I can't afford to make a mistake.

002..JPG
001..JPG
003..JPG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I would like to know more about head conditions, from the photos you posted,general condition seems much better than the typical machines you find at the price you are paying. The scraping noise should can be due to the reel, not the machine.

My advice would be buy them immediately - 2 track high speed machines are much more valuable than the 3.75/7 ips ones.. Do not forget to ask the vendor to include the NAB adapters, as they are expensive.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks guys. I have just sent an email asking if I could take them home to inspect them more thoroughly before making a decision.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If they have been in a studio enviroment that smoke discoloration is very common. A good soap and hot water cleaning should clean them up pretty well. You can also use some q-tips and alcohol for parts on the inside,that is tedious and requires some care.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As an aside, this guys place was amazing. He has a home recording studio and he's a collector of Fender and Gibson guitars. I saw at least 30 guitars hanging on his wall, but there was one that stood out. It's upstairs in his bar in a locked case, and is a perfect replica of Eric Clapton's "Blackie". There were only 300 made (EC has the first replica and actually plays it)......he paid $30,000 for this axe.

012..JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If they have been in a studio enviroment that smoke discoloration is very common. A good soap and hot water cleaning should clean them up pretty well. You can also use some q-tips and alcohol for parts on the inside,that is tedious and requires some care.

So Roger...what's your consensus on this?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
So Roger...what's your consensus on this?

If they sound fine, I would buy them. You can clean them up and always recoup your money in the future. You probably should clean the pinch roller as that will could explain some of the tape noise. See if he has any spare reels that are in good shape,maybe he'll throw them in on the deal.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If they sound fine, I would buy them. You can clean them up and always recoup your money in the future. You probably should clean the pinch roller as that will could explain some of the tape noise. See if he has any spare reels that are in good shape,maybe he'll throw them in on the deal.

We just kind of generally chatted, but I beleive they will include the hubs, metal reels a one or two tapes....one might even be brand new and still sealed. Not sure on that, as he also has a Fostex B16, an Akai and a Pioneer ready to go.

EDIT: You won't believe this, but the pool in his backyard is in the shape of a Gibson Les Paul.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
not so great a deal

John,

Sorry, but two low speed A77's for $500 is not a bargain, especially if you might want to "audition" 15ips tapes "down the road".

I love Revox'es, but for that kind of money I'd look for a high speed unit or maybe a (later) B77 or PR99.

Charles

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

Sorry, but two low speed A77's for $500 is not a bargain, especially if you might want to "audition" 15ips tapes "down the road".

I love Revox'es, but for that kind of money I'd look for a high speed unit or maybe a (later) B77 or PR99.

Charles

I'm confused Charles:confused:...the units are high-speed (7.5 and 15ips).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are they been converted ? or originally (7.5 and 15) ? A77 suppose is low speedy version only with 4 track, B77 is 2 track with high speedy
tony ma

Like I said in my earlier post, I did not take a pic with the cover up, so I can't be sure what the model # is, but the pics I posted clearly show the speeds to be 7.5 and 15ips. I will confirm with the buyer as to the exact model #. Is it a Mrk III? I beleive that model to be 2track and high-speed 7.5/15ips.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Are they been converted ? or originally (7.5 and 15) ? A77 suppose is low speedy version only with 4 track, B77 is 2 track with high speedy
tony ma
Tony-A77s were made in two track high-speed versions as well as the more common lower speed versions.

They are clearly marked on the face plates as 7 1/2 ips and 15 ips. No debate there.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
John,

Look at the capstan shaft in your first picture - it is a large diameter one, used in the 7.5 - 15 ips machines. If you have doubts, look at the picture shown in page 15 of the A77 service manual, that describes the 3.75 - 7.5 ips version. The shown motor has a shaft with an initial conical shape with half the diameter of the version shown in your picture.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
sorry John

your second post (5/16) said that they were 3.75 and 7.5 ips - didn't read any further than that. If they are high speed, 2 track, with little head wear, then it is probably a good deal.

Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing