Studer Expert--Analog-Audio Kuhn

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
correct me if I´m wrong
as far as I´ve understood, the A820 is all about the transport...
Leif

Well, I wouldn't say it's ALL about the transport ;)
but it was the transport that persuaded me to acquire A-820's
rather than ATR-102's.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
is that fair....a reworked TASCAM B20 vs A820?

Respectfully, Greg has made many modifications to the Tascam. Greg’s modifications include, among other things, no capacitors in the output stage; no amplification of any DC in the preamp from one gain stage to another; new pure copper circuit boards; audiophile grade power transformers; custom designed outboard power supply option; Cardas silver solder for all electronic connections; solid silver grounding configuration to enhance grounding and reduce noise; direct IEC equalization stage; no muting circuits for shortest signal paths; and a dual-mono configuration for the internal playback preamp.

I fully appreciate that the people who own Studers love them for very valid reasons -- and I agree with those reasons. People who have UHA decks love them, too, for very valid reasons -- and I agree with those reasons, too.

I have to assume that no transport mechanism will be more gentle on the tape than the transport of an A820.

I have not yet found anyone who has done a careful, leisurely, side-by-side listening comparison of a Studer with a UHA. Until someone has both machines in the same room in the same system and can compare them using familiar music I think that statements about the sonic differences between a Studer and a UHA will remain merely educated guesses.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Respectfully, Greg has made many modifications to the Tascam. Greg’s modifications include, among other things, no capacitors in the output stage; no amplification of any DC in the preamp from one gain stage to another; new pure copper circuit boards; audiophile grade power transformers; custom designed outboard power supply option; Cardas silver solder for all electronic connections; solid silver grounding configuration to enhance grounding and reduce noise; direct IEC equalization stage; no muting circuits for shortest signal paths; and a dual-mono configuration for the internal playback preamp.(...)

Ron,

Does Greg carry any modifications in the Tascam tape transport mechanism? IMHO the fundamental sound signature of a tape deck is due to its electro-mechanical tape path.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Respectfully, Greg has made many modifications to the Tascam. Greg’s modifications include, among other things, no capacitors in the output stage; no amplification of any DC in the preamp from one gain stage to another; new pure copper circuit boards; audiophile grade power transformers; custom designed outboard power supply option; Cardas silver solder for all electronic connections; solid silver grounding configuration to enhance grounding and reduce noise; direct IEC equalization stage; no muting circuits for shortest signal paths; and a dual-mono configuration for the internal playback preamp.

I fully appreciate that the people who own Studers love them for very valid reasons -- and I agree with those reasons. People who have UHA decks love them, too, for very valid reasons -- and I agree with those reasons, too.

I have to assume that no transport mechanism will be more gentle on the tape than the transport of an A820.

I have not yet found anyone who has done a careful, leisurely, side-by-side listening comparison of a Studer with a UHA. Until someone has both machines in the same room in the same system and can compare them using familiar music I think that statements about the sonic differences between a Studer and a UHA will remain merely educated guesses.

this thread might be helpful.....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...h-Studer-bliss&p=301606&viewfull=1#post301606

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing