The Star Trek lovers appreciation thread

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Since I am a HUGE fan of Star Trek....aka a "Trekkie":cool: and since this is the What's Best Forum, I thought I would start a 'best of' episodes thread about the 'best' episodes of the Star Trek series....Including the original series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and lastly Enterprise.

So to start, I nominate from the original series: 1) The City on the edge of forever. 2) The empath
3) This side of Paradise 4) Let that be your last battlefield 5) The Gamesters of Triskelion

From 'The Next Generation" 1) I, Borg 2) The inner light 3) Tin Man 4) Remember Me

These are some of my favorite episodes....Not all of them by any means. :D

Ok, let's hear your favorites............:D

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
From The Next Generation: not sure of the episode title, but the story was about meeting up with aliens who spoke in metaphor. "Darmak and Gilad at Tanagra" was one of the lines. That was a fun one.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
From The Next Generation: not sure of the episode title, but the story was about meeting up with aliens who spoke in metaphor. "Darmak and Gilad at Tanagra" was one of the lines. That was a fun one.

Lee

That's a good one Lee....it's called 'Darmok' and it too is one of my favorites.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I'll offer a few from the original Star Trek:

• The City on the Edge of Forever
  • The Menagerie
  • This Side of Paradise
  • The Tholian Web
  • The Corbomite Maneuver

Clearly, this list is imperfect :p

Reactions: Bino

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I love the series but haven't memorized the episode names :). I do recognize Menagerie though. I don't know that there was an episode from the original series that I did not like.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I think that the original series and cast were my favorite. So many of the episodes had strong moral implications. One of the most memorable to me was: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield which starred Frank Gorsham (The Riddler in the Batman series). In this tale it takes the black and white relations to the extreme. Frank Gorsham won an Emmy nomination for his role as Bele.

Rich

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I love the series but haven't memorized the episode names :). I do recognize Menagerie though. I don't know that there was an episode from the original series that I did not like.

I just Google'd, Amir ;)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I think that the original series and cast were my favorite. So many of the episodes had strong moral implications. One of the most memorable to me was: Let That Be Your Last Battlefield which starred Frank Gorsham (The Riddler in the Batman series). In this tale it takes the black and white relations to the extreme. Frank Gorsham won an Emmy nomination for his role as Bele.

Rich

Stimulated by this thread, I view two Star Trek episodes last night/this morning :D ...The Tholian Web and Assignment Earth (Robert Lansing and Terri Garr) -- both immensely enjoyable!!

Let That Be Your Last Battlefield is an epic Star Trek offering :cool:

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
From the Next Generation, besides the Dormak episode ( great!) Would be " Yesterdays Enterprise" and "Lower Decks", DS9 Loved the pilot And the whole Dominion war:D

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
Until J J Abrams and the new writers created the alternate time line, and gave us Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as Kirk and Spock, my lament was that The Next Generation was the zenith of the Star Trek universe. I don't think it will ever be eclipsed, There may not ever be another series. But my level of anticipation for the next Star Trek movie .. and the next and the next ... is quite high.

DS9 never did it for me, though it did get more interesting after they got the ship and were no longer limited to the station. I am a real Capt. Janeway fan and would put that series in second place behind TNG.

Jeff

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I must confess, I did no think in a million years they could reinvent the series as well as they did in the latest movie. I was "depressed" before that, seeing how all the original actors become so old as not be able to make any future movies together. This gives me hope of lots to come.

pepar

May 15, 2011
On an island
www.peparsplace.com
If you think about it .. in retrospect, the "mechanism" has been there for quite a while. TNG had alternate realities/timelines/loops/etc in both the series and their first movie, and Voyager and Entrrprise played with time as well. While us "civilians" might not have come up with it, professional writers probably didn't have to scratch their heads much.

What impresses me immensely is how they touched all the bases with "pre-quel" character development .. of characters we thought we knew, and did it so darn cleverly that there is now a seamless backstory that presages much of what is to come relationship-wise (in the original series). Fortunately, Vulcans are long-lived and Leonard Nimoy was/is around to ice the plot/hand the baton. It was soothing to have an old familiar face. It would have been nice if Shatner had appeared, too, but maybe the movie wasn't big enough for two James T Kirks. :)

On a somewhat related note, that familiar Nimoy voice is the voiceover of a currently running Siemens commercial.

Bring it on JJ!

Jeff

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
...The Next Generation was the zenith of the Star Trek universe.Jeff

Other than the original series, I have but a fleeting acquaintace with TNG and positively no experience with subsequent efforts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing