RCA cables for active speakers?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I need a pair of 8' RCA cables to connect to some active speakers for my PC setup into an Asus Xonar Essence STX audio card. The speakers will cost no more than $500, so I don't need something priced in the uber-stratospere. I know that there are quite a few members here who use a similar setup, and I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on brands or companies to consider. I don't really have a budget for this, but it would be really nice of I could secure a pair for under $200. Am I dreaming?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
John,

How about these?
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=1065

I've always been a fan of Mogami cables. They are hard to beat. The Neutrik Profi RCA connectors make ground before they make signal, and break signal before they break ground so it is safe for the times you forget to turn off the active speakers before unplugging the interconnects.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good, nothing fancy RCA cables, John? $43.50 (+ ship) per pair from BJC.

I don't mind spending more, if the increase in performance is there (I know, I know....placebo, coat hanger, etc...LOL), but BJC seem to have a good rep, so it's definitely something to consider. Lower price equals more music purchases, so that's always a good thing. Thanks Ken!:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

How about these?
http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=1065

I've always been a fan of Mogami cables. They are hard to beat. The Neutrik Profi RCA connectors make ground before they make signal, and break signal before they break ground so it is safe for the times you forget to turn off the active speakers before unplugging the interconnects.

Sweet! Thanks Gary! TakeFive is a great place, I've ordered from them before.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I've said it before and I will say it again, Mogami microphone cables make aweseome interconnects.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Another vote for Mogami..nice. Good price, plus I can get them locally......sounds good to me! Thanks for all of your help guys!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just learned from browsing the Canuck Audio Mart ads that TakeFiveAudio is offering free cable burn-in for all orders placed this weekend. May as well order the cables now since it's free. As to what difference it'll make...I haven't a clue, but it can't hurt. So Mogami IC's...here I come!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've ordered a pair of 8' Mogami RCA cables from TakeFiveAudio with free cable burn-in. All totalled it came to $110.47 CDN.

Mogami IC..jpg

Thanks for letting me know about these Gary!:D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one :D

Did you go with the cryo'ed ones? CDN$2.80 per cable must be the all-time best value cryo up-charge in the universe of audio. Even if you can't hear the difference, I'm sure it won't hurt.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
LOL......and yes, I got the cryo'ed ones!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing