Nagra T for sale on Canuck Audio Mart - $7,000 CDN

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Sorry to hear that. However, maybe he hasn't. Many people shy away from int'l sales. Want me to ask if it's still available?

I don't consider Canada an international sale. I go to Canada all the time. Now ship something to Brazil, Africa or Russia.... now THAT is a PITA.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Sorry to hear that. However, maybe he hasn't. Many people shy away from int'l sales. Want me to ask if it's still available?

Don't feel bad as the seller was determined to make the sale locally. That is his prerogative, but he handled my inquiry and possibility of a purchase very poorly, oh well.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Tony:

I have had the M15As for a while but haven't spent quality time with them yet due to my day job... If your machine is also coming from Germany there are few things I had discovered that might apply to your M15a as well:

1) There is a good chance its headblock will be oxide-out configuration. Let me know when you know for sure. I will share my work around solution.
2) It will come with AEG reel adapters instead of the CINE or NAB reel adapters. Fortunately, the CINE type spindles are still available and can be ordered from Germany although a bit expensive. After replaceing the AEG reel adapters with CINE type, you will also need the Revox NAB hubs like other Studers.
3) You will need to convert input voltage from 220VAC to 120VAC. In the manual, there are no specific instructions for input voltage change but you can see the AC input transformer primary winding in the schematic to figure out the correct set up.
4) I hadn't spent enough time to study its I/Os fully but you will also need to convert signal I/O connectors that are much bigger than the standard balanced connectors. I would suggest you de-solder the Telefunken inputs and output connectors and make a simple replacement bracket and use the Nuetrik connectors.
5) The manual shows external remote module with pushbutton for Stereo/Mono or CCIR/NAB selection. One of the console type photos in the manual shows the remote module permanently mounted right next to the M15A. Thus there must be connections available to add a IEC/NAB switch but haven't quite figured out the details yet.

Hi Ki
M15A landed finally , now I understand what is your talking about in your post, It is face out, I need your help for this matter, machine showed 4400 hours but very clean and packed with care with wood box by air to ship, seller marked 240V, it come with pancake adepter and I made something for holding reel, it work OK, don't need to buy CINE, remote cost another $100, didn't order, handbook come in Germany, can't read just guess by pictures and drawing but not so detail as Studer's handbook, the broad with a 37 pins female socket (for remote I guess) in the back side part's no. BC-FA15 has two empty holes ready for put switches and suppose connect to pin no.37 and no.8 making on/off for CCIR/NAB or Stereo/Mono selection ? but I can't understand one switch for both control, is there any handbook for this machine in English ? anyway fix the face out first is the main thing to do
regard tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Tony:

The M15As I have seen from Germany all have Oxide-out head configuration. You can remove the headcover and the cover panel around the head and reinstall the heads and tape lift machanism in mirror arrangements and leave the pinch roller assembly alone. However, it will involve lots of work in rewiring the heads and re-aligning them after relocation them - not to mention cutting new clearance on the cover panel for tape lift... I have decided to leave mine in its heads Oxide-out state. You can twist the tape just after the supply reel, thread the tape over the rollers and headblock and twist the tape again just before the take up reel. I have tried this "trick" on another German reel to reel machine with oxide-out head configuration, and it works beatifully.

Unfortunately, I also have German only M15A manual and can't find the English version. My M15As are still resting...having just installed CINE reel adapters that came in from Germany. The I/O connectors on M15A are Tuschel type that need to be converted into normal XLRs or sourced for their mates outside US. If you figure out the connection for CCIR/NAB switch, please let me know.
Thanks,
Ki

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Tony:

The M15As I have seen from Germany all have Oxide-out head configuration. You can remove the headcover and the cover panel around the head and reinstall the heads and tape lift machanism in mirror arrangements and leave the pinch roller assembly alone. However, it will involve lots of work in rewiring the heads and re-aligning them after relocation them - not to mention cutting new clearance on the cover panel for tape lift... I have decided to leave mine in its heads Oxide-out state. You can twist the tape just after the supply reel, thread the tape over the rollers and headblock and twist the tape again just before the take up reel. I have tried this "trick" on another German reel to reel machine with oxide-out head configuration, and it works beatifully.

Unfortunately, I also have German only M15A manual and can't find the English version. My M15As are still resting...having just installed CINE reel adapters that came in from Germany. The I/O connectors on M15A are Tuschel type that need to be converted into normal XLRs or sourced for their mates outside US. If you figure out the connection for CCIR/NAB switch, please let me know.
Thanks,
Ki

Thank you Ki for the tips, I took off the head cover before to read your post and thought too much work for re position heads already. I got a idea instead twist the tape two times, and tried it to-night, it works ! the detail is we store our 2 track tape in tail out, every time rewind first and play, in rewind put tape in pick up side but flip over, let tape come out from left side ( normal is from right side ) let it go all the way no stop in running because there are no brake on this reel. after that the tape is oxide out, the only thing has to be done is reverse the channel and keep this one on for M15A or do it again for normal Studer try this way to see if it also work in yours
cheers
tony ma

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Telefunken

Good to hear about the great Telefunken decks. I've been after Ki to get a Tele M21. Here is a pic of my friend's M15 with Ampex heads and Ampex tube electronics. It is an imposing machine. The other deck on top is of his over the top Nagra Ti with tube electronics, based on the Ampex 351 circuit.

Rich Brown

Attachments

• IMG_0806..JPG
    IMG_0806..JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 1,242

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing