Bad setup, bad room, or sensitive ears? Subs are just never from the "same cloth"!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Every time I have heard subs connected to a speaker system, I have been able to hear a lot of musical information that I never expected to hear. I do know there is a lot of potential of enhancing the the system by possibly adding sub-woofers. Unfortunately, however, I have also been hearing the sub(s) as completely separate drivers from the rest of the speaker.

And I am not the only one with this problem. After giving a GLOWING review to the Martin Logan CLX in TAS, Jonathan Valin was supposed to slap on a couple of subs to his system and update the review. But this never happened. I am guessing he didn't want to put a black mark on Martin Logan, so he never wrote the "bad" review.

To me, and I am guessing to Valin, the music is just not from the "same cloth". On the other hand, many people are happy with subs. Can anyone shed some light on this?

(Please use common language and explain the terms you are using like you are talking to a 10 year old. I took physics and advanced calculus as a freshman in college, and although I did very well in the classes, it has been a long, long time - and I forgot everything!!)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The quality of a subwoofer is only one part of the equation. The setup is probably the most important portion of the "integration" scheme. I brought up the subject here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2990-Subwoofers-and-Time-Relationships

and the ensuing discussion quickly showed how complex seamless integration of a sub (or multiples) can be. Most folks don't take the time and effort to accomplish good integration IMO.

Lee

Reactions: LenWhite

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Caesar, I think that the discontinuity that you hear is primarily due to the basic difference between the speed of the drivers. Most stats and many dynamic drivers have a fast rise/settle time. Unfortunately, I believe most subs which are able to move larger amounts of air ( which IMO is the primary aspect of being able to reproduce very low notes) are able to do so mainly by using larger drivers. The larger the driver, generally the slower the rise/settle time.Let's use a vehicle analogy, a boxy truck can reach 60mph in say 15 seconds, while a small car can reach the same speed in say 8 seconds. It takes more power to get the truck to 60mph than the small car....due to mass, air resistance, etc. Once at 60mph, both can keep that speed with little power required, however, then you want to slow the truck and the car down to zero mph. Takes a lot more energy and time to slow the truck.....the truck is like the subwoofer, the car like the stat or smaller dynamic speaker.
The trick is to match the sub to the main speakers, which gets more difficult as the mains have a quicker rise/settle time. Therefore, i believe that the secret lies in trying to match the mains to a sub that shares as close as possible in the type/size of driver as the mains. Many times this will require loosing the very bottom end due to the restriction of the sub driver size that can be incorporated.-----or something like that;)

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
nah davey, does not work like that. Not to say it is easy to integrate subs properly, but them being slow has nowt to do with it.

They do not need to be fast, a sub signal is sloooow man. If you get a chance, just listen to a sub on it's own. A more horrible, amusical gargle you will never hear.

Get the idea how long it takes for us to even recognise a 20 hz signal as 20 hz....then compare to how long it takes to recognise a 20 khz signal (I know, I know, it's a thought experiment!).

So, a 21 inch woofer is PLENTY fast to reproduce a 50 hz signal.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry terry, BUT your analogy is wrong. Otherwise a 21" woofer could be used for midrange and a 18" woofer for high's ...:(
Speed of the driver response is THE main reason why it is so difficult to integrate subs and mains.
Don't believe me, then take your 18" sub and see how easy it is to integrate that with a pair of Quads or other ultra fast drivers....I'm thinking ribbons, etc. Not saying it cannot be done, however, a fast 8" or smaller driver in a sub is a lot easier to integrate.:D
Assuming of course that the x-over is up to the job..:rolleyes:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Sorry terry, BUT your analogy is wrong. Otherwise a 21" woofer could be used for midrange and a 18" woofer for high's ...:(
Speed of the driver response is THE main reason why it is so difficult to integrate subs and mains.
Don't believe me, then take your 18" sub and see how easy it is to integrate that with a pair of Quads or other ultra fast drivers....I'm thinking ribbons, etc. Not saying it cannot be done, however, a fast 8" or smaller driver in a sub is a lot easier to integrate.:D
Assuming of course that the x-over is up to the job..:rolleyes:

No davey, I agree that an 18 would not be the best job for a tweeter, whatever gave you the idea I was suggesting that? Even in that case there are many other factors (other than """speed"""-or 'fast and slow bass') which work against using it in that role.

Sorry, 'speed' is a misused and completely misunderstood audiophile jargon word. Not quite as bad as synergy and prat I grant you.:D

Per your argument (speed), then flipping your point on it's head a tweeter (it IS fast enough) should be able to work as a sub.

Clearly an inappropriate point you are trying to make.

Have a look at the waveform of a bass signal. There is NO need for 'speed'. There is, however, plenty of need for displacement, which is exactly what a 21 will give.

Have you ever heard a sub on it's own as I suggested for a means of finding the answer to this??

If so, can you describe what you heard?? Would any part of that description be 'speed'??

Take a look at the measurement series in a recent thread here, JA. Look at the step impulses etc of the measurements. Compare the step of the tweeter to the mid (I assume a mid has enough 'speed' to do the job asked of it?). It will look very much spread out compared to the tweeter. Now extrapolate that to a sub, it is very spread out in time, but that is a function of the signal sent to it, not anything to do with 'speed'.

You are completely free to hold onto your beliefs, and disagree with me. I don't have the slightest problem with that. But in a thread asking for 'reasons why' I feel that my point definitely needs to be made.

Let's assume that a quad IS 'faster' than a cone driver (you mean stats etc??). Ok cool. Let's assume they are ten times as fast. That is all well and good, but a driver only needs to be as fast as the signal requires. I also note the OP did not restrict this discussion to stats or ribbons, he asked a general question aimed at sub integration, presumably including normal cone systems.

If you prefer, how about I say 'look to other far far more important factors than speed first'. Hopefully you can agree with that.

Else, there would be no successful sub integrations anywhere...I doubt you would agree with such a broad statement.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
No davey, I agree that an 18 would not be the best job for a tweeter, whatever gave you the idea I was suggesting that? Even in that case there are many other factors (other than """speed"""-or 'fast and slow bass') which work against using it in that role.

Sorry, 'speed' is a misused and completely misunderstood audiophile jargon word. Not quite as bad as synergy and prat I grant you.:D

Per your argument (speed), then flipping your point on it's head a tweeter (it IS fast enough) should be able to work as a sub.

Clearly an inappropriate point you are trying to make.

Have a look at the waveform of a bass signal. There is NO need for 'speed'. There is, however, plenty of need for displacement, which is exactly what a 21 will give.

Have you ever heard a sub on it's own as I suggested for a means of finding the answer to this??

If so, can you describe what you heard?? Would any part of that description be 'speed'??

Take a look at the measurement series in a recent thread here, JA. Look at the step impulses etc of the measurements. Compare the step of the tweeter to the mid (I assume a mid has enough 'speed' to do the job asked of it?). It will look very much spread out compared to the tweeter. Now extrapolate that to a sub, it is very spread out in time, but that is a function of the signal sent to it, not anything to do with 'speed'.

You are completely free to hold onto your beliefs, and disagree with me. I don't have the slightest problem with that. But in a thread asking for 'reasons why' I feel that my point definitely needs to be made.

Let's assume that a quad IS 'faster' than a cone driver (you mean stats etc??). Ok cool. Let's assume they are ten times as fast. That is all well and good, but a driver only needs to be as fast as the signal requires. I also note the OP did not restrict this discussion to stats or ribbons, he asked a general question aimed at sub integration, presumably including normal cone systems.

If you prefer, how about I say 'look to other far far more important factors than speed first'. Hopefully you can agree with that.

Else, there would be no successful sub integrations anywhere...I doubt you would agree with such a broad statement.

Terry, I think we may be speaking of the same thing. I am talking about the driver's ability to quickly start and stop moving. The larger the driver, the more momentum that is in play and the more ability to move air. The smaller the driver, the less momentum and therefore a superior ability to start and stop moving ( but less ability to move air). I think if you re-read my prior posts, you will see what I am saying......Hopefully:confused:

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Terry, I think we may be speaking of the same thing. I am talking about the driver's ability to quickly start and stop moving. The larger the driver, the more momentum that is in play and the more ability to move air. The smaller the driver, the less momentum and therefore a superior ability to start and stop moving ( but less ability to move air). I think if you re-read my prior posts, you will see what I am saying......Hopefully:confused:

cool davey, and yes as re-stated now there is nothing to disagree with.

It IS true that a sub could not play 20 khz, and I'd hazard an awful lot of that is due to it's mass etc.

After that I suspect it gets a little more murky..eg if from that someone were to say a woofer cannot accelerate as fast as a tweeter, well I think we'd be getting into murky territory...i suspect it could.

Anyway, keeping your point in mind we come back to the required ability of the driver to start and stop as asked. A sub is completely and totally capable of doing that at the frequencies in question.

Back then to the factors which DO make an impact on how to successfully integrate a sub into a system.

(BTW, if sometime you do get a chance to do the experiment outlined above-listen to a sub on it's own-do so, as it is quite illuminating)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
IME, problems I have heard with subs rarely have to do with the speed of the attack, let alone sub "speed" (not sure exactly what that means though the term is thrown about a lot). What I have observed and/or measured:

1. High distortion and ringing/slow decay that muddies the response. I have measured 10% or more THD in subs; at 20 Hz, honestly, I doubt it matters; at 100 Hz, it does. At least to me. As for the decay, I have found the 50 - 150 Hz range seems muddy if the sub is still "hanging on" after the musical signal has moved on. One reason I prefer servos.

2. Subs crossed over too high, or with too slow a roll-off so they have too much output too high in frequency. Too many folk don't seem to realize that the sub does not magically and instantaneously cut off at 0.001 Hz over the crossover frequency.

3. Subs crossed over too low, so the mains are working too hard and outside their peak performance range. If the crossover is not properly set, frequency and phase, there will be a peak or null at the crossover point.

4. Poor phase matching with the mains. If the sub is not in phase with the mains at the crossover point all kinds of bad things can happen. An octave above, and the sub usually dominates so phase is not as critical; ditto an octave above, where it's mostly the mains. Right at the crossover, you want the sound to be seamless coming from the mains and sub.

5. Adding a sub to boost the low end often brings out room modes you didn't know you had. This can cause boomy bass and all the usual issues related to room acoustics.

FWIWFM - Don

EDIT: Just noticed this was Tom's place; my apologies for spouting off! I get caught all too often by going to "What's New" and not noticing when treading in an expert's forum. Senility, I suppose.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
WRT *speed*, start here, and read on for a couple of pages as our resident expert Mark Seaton joins in the discussion.

caesar

May 30, 2010
An interesting questions arises: if many of the speaker manufacturers are having a hard enough time integrating their tweeters, woofers, and mid-range drivers - unless one buys a luxury-sedan priced speaker, how the heck can a sub(s) be successfully be integrated?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
An interesting questions arises: if many of the speaker manufacturers are having a hard enough time integrating their tweeters, woofers, and mid-range drivers - unless one buys a luxury-sedan priced speaker, how the heck can a sub(s) be successfully be integrated?

Very different integration "problems." The problem in integrating drivers in an array is one of coherency -- simply stated, does the speaker sound like a single source or a stack of individual drivers. That shouldn't be a problem with integrating subs, which are supposed to produce frequencies low enough that they are not directional. Which leads to a question for the OP: What kind of integration problems are you having? Can you hear the location of the sub, separate from the mains, or do the low frequencies sound out of balance with the mains?

Tim

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Very different integration "problems." The problem in integrating drivers in an array is one of coherency -- simply stated, does the speaker sound like a single source or a stack of individual drivers. That shouldn't be a problem with integrating subs, which are supposed to produce frequencies low enough that they are not directional. Which leads to a question for the OP: What kind of integration problems are you having? Can you hear the location of the sub, separate from the mains, or do the low frequencies sound out of balance with the mains?

Tim
I am not so sure one can completely separate these issues. Coherency is still an issue and it is exacerbated by the physical displacement of the (sub)woofer such that, in the crossover region, the overlapping sources excite room modes differently.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have lived with subs two or three times for different setups - for me it is a matter of balance where there are pros and cons in the process. Better depth and extension but some articulation/integration issues. Needless to say that at the end balance should yield possitive returns.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am not so sure one can completely separate these issues. Coherency is still an issue and it is exacerbated by the physical displacement of the (sub)woofer such that, in the crossover region, the overlapping sources excite room modes differently.

I guess you're right about that, though I think of them as different problems. I've heard subs integrated into rooms to the point where a sub behind the listening position was absolutely unlocated. It merely sounded as if deeper bass was coming from the two main speakers in the front of the room. And that was just one sub, so I know it can happen.

Tim

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I guess you're right about that, though I think of them as different problems. I've heard subs integrated into rooms to the point where a sub behind the listening position was absolutely unlocated. It merely sounded as if deeper bass was coming from the two main speakers in the front of the room. And that was just one sub, so I know it can happen.
It can happen.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
This IS a complex subject but in general I would vote for bad setup. Getting a good match between subs and mains is a time consuming process, even with a high resolution acoustic measurement system.

Without it you are really guessing:

- what crossover slope should you use for the subs?
- where should you put them?
- what level should you set them at?
- what phase should you set them at?

Some people may be able to set the above with a single music track but they will be in the 0.0001%. The rest of us should pick up one of the easy to use room measurement systems!

If you have ability to set time delays for the subs then you can't do that without some measurements either.

Of the reasons why a well integrated setup may still sound bad:

- high distortion of sub than mains
- group delay disparity of mains to subs
- resonant cabinets
- port noise
- etc

Personally I'm a firm believer in subs. IMO below 30Hz contributes a low to the audible sense of presence and body of a system. It is also true that few main speaker can reproduce down there with low distortion and consistent SPL. There is also the way that you can use subs to tailor interaction of speaker to room modes and speaker boundary interference.

twelti

WBF Technical Expert (Subwoofers In Rooms)
Apr 29, 2011
Caesar, some of the possible technical reasons for your subjective observations have been mentioned by others. BTW, I don't subscribe to the concept of "slow" or "fast" subwoofers. I think it is a red herring. As for the linear part of the subwoofers response, magnitude and phase are what you should be thinking about. Yes, the systems linear response is also contained in the step response, and some folks like to look at those. But I believe magnitude and phase are easier to correlate to what you hear. A "fast" subwoofer will have a flatter mag and phase response, regardless of the driver size.

Anyway, I'm wondering how your system is calibrated. Is the sub level too high (dumb question, but you'd be surprised)? How long have you been listening? If you weren't used to the subs and you just turn them on, it might not sound right at first, but adaptation will likely occur. Then removing the subs might sound bad! Are you sitting in a boomy spot in the room?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I never pulled a trigger on subs based on the fact that I always have heard the incoherencies.

But I do wonder about the driver integration vs. setup issues for woofer vs. sub-woofer scenarios. Take s speaker like the Scaena. I don't believe Scaena even has woofer, or rather its woofer is the sub. Why don't more folks forego the woofer and just hook up the subs as this seems so successful for Scaena?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Another question for the experts here: Is it possible to set up a sub-woofer to emulate the quickness, dynamics, and impact of a Wilson Maxx 2 or Maxx 3 bass? Or is Wilson using special woofers? Special crossovers? Something else to make their bass standout and have visceral effects?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing