Tape pre-amp articles?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey you all :).

Unlike me, my older brother didn't skip designing with tubes. So I asked when I get a R2R, will he make a tape pre-amp for me and he said yes. Are there any articles on folks who have done the same, EQ curves, etc?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Amir,

If you brother has the time I would recommend getting the service manuals of the old tube Studer tape machines. They are full of information, complete circuits, alignment procedures - it is all there!

You can download them at :

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/

The C37 was really an wonderful machine.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Amir
You are a stranger guy in looking more things around before the main R2R, you should have soft ware tapes first till tape come back to market still has to wait for a while
Almost 50 years ago I had my first tube amp Sansui 300 has a tape head in put beside MM phono, they can sound similar to me at the level in that age, also I have a SONY transport to play with, later I got a repro amp broad dumped out by TEAC in transistor, I paid huge money for a test tape of alignment then it sounded better than directly without any adjusting, this means R2R repro preamp is not like RIAA preamp needs match to each machine, so I believe to keep the EQ and adjust section of the original design for the machine is better way or only change the out put section into tube gear like those super Hi End DAC with a tube out put will sound different, better or not up to your favor
C 37 had been told the best tube recorder, but to copy their circuit quite difficult to get the same parts because their a lot of pre-set inductors for frequency control use also tube ECC 188 and ECC 283 very expensive, of cause you can replace with 6DJ8 and 12AX7 but the sound will be different too will not same as their designed
cheers
tony ma

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. I wasn't looking for cookbook text as much as reading something on the topic as a guidepost.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Amirm,

Suggest you/he look at the schematics for 1950's tube preamps such as Marantz, Mac, Fisher et al to see how they implemented tape playback. Most all the preamps had a tape head input. Marantz even had a HF equalization control on the back.
And - have fun

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Amirm,

Suggest you/he look at the schematics for 1950's tube preamps such as Marantz, Mac, Fisher et al to see how they implemented tape playback. Most all the preamps had a tape head input. Marantz even had a HF equalization control on the back.
And - have fun

Here's the Fisher

http://oldtech.net/Fisher.html

and this site has everything. Check out this McIntosh

McIntosh C-8 preamp (1956) schematic, manual, Equalization Chart (contributed by Gary Galo)

http://www.one-electron.com/FC_Consumer.html

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Another route could be getting a kit from BH (Eros or Retro tape preamps) and have him assamble/upgrade it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Last I looked at the BH units, I thought they were pretty pricey. Are they not?

The Eros tape preamplifier is not too expensive if you assemble it yourself (USD 799.00), but I had to add an extra usd50 for a good magnifying lamp. :eek:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Last I looked at the BH units, I thought they were pretty pricey. Are they not?

The Eros is not that expensive, the Retro is at @5Kusd, I have heard them both and I liked them, but I do not own any of them since my deck is plug-and-play and also has recording capabilities.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing