Mobile Fidelity Silver Series Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
In conversation with Ken (lasercd) this morning we touched on this new (to me) reissue label from Mofi, which is pressed on 140-gram standard vinyl. Here is what the website says:

About Silver Series:
New from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, the MoFi Silver Label Vinyl Series will
feature an eclectic mix of recordings. This series is mastered and cut on the
famous Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab state-of-the-art Tim de Paravacini-designed
mastering system. Vinyl will be pressed at RTI on audiophile-grade standard
vinyl and will be numbered limited-editions. Future releases will continue to
stretch stylistic boundaries, as the MoFi Silver Label continues to explore
music from many different genres. Expand your musical horizons with the Silver
Label!

Has anyone purchased one of these pressings, and (if so), what are your impressions?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No one?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just purchased my first MoFi Silver Series vinyl, and I'll be giving it a spin later on today or this evening. I bought Dead can Dance-Spiritchaser and it's #001573.

Dead Can Dance - S&.jpg

Paul V K

Apr 24, 2011
Easton PA
After my first test purchase of the B-52's, I further purchased the Echo and English Beat releases. I am very happy with the quality. The pressing on all three is very quiet and the sound quality of the music is very pleasing. I would not hesitate buying more if you like the music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I just finished listening to the "Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser" vinyl that I brought home the other day, and I'm very pleased with it for the most part. The packaging is first rate and identical to their other releases with a nice anti-static sleeve and cardboard (promotional) housing around each LP. This is a 2LP set. The sound quality is just as good IMO, even for a disc(s) that is only 140-g as compared to 180 or 200-g pressings. My only concern, and it's not really a concern, is that the vinyl had a slight warp to it. It didn't effect the sound any, and to call it a warp may be a slight exageration....it just wasn't perfectly flat.

Despite the fact I am pleased with my purchase, I'm sort of failing to understand why MoFi felt the need to create this new series of pressings.

Paul V K

Apr 24, 2011
Easton PA
I concur that the sound and pressing quality of this Silver series is of the same level as their "standard" 180g releases. I plan on buying more.

Despite the fact I am pleased with my purchase, I'm sort of failing to understand why MoFi felt the need to create this new series of pressings.

So my theory is this: There is a resurgence of young twenty something "kids" who have started buying lots of vinyl, and declaring it is vastly superior in sound quality to "digital." But remember, their version if "digital" is MP3, not redbook CD! While we can all argue about the merits of vinyl vs. cd, I think we can safely say that a good lp does indeed murder a compressed MP3. So I suspect that Mofi is trying to hook this new crowd of converts, who probably would not be all that excited about spending $30 or more on a recording that they normally have been paying $12 or less on iTunes.

Just a guess.....

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
This has been a terrific series so far for me. Into the Labyrinth by Dead Can Dance was reference quality.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Picked up the Bobby Darrin: Love Swings. A+ SQ fantastic album. Right up there w/the 180gm releases.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I also have an album of MoFi Silver Series and it sounds great. Some believe that the thinner, 140g vinyl is actually better than thicker 180g or 200g vinyl, for allowing the transmission of unwanted vibrations (noise) down and out through the turntable's spindle, plinth and feet, as the thicker vinyl hinders this process.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Picked up the Stevie Wonder Innervisions and thought sounded great!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
After my first test purchase of the B-52's, I further purchased the Echo and English Beat releases. I am very happy with the quality. The pressing on all three is very quiet and the sound quality of the music is very pleasing. I would not hesitate buying more if you like the music.

I think those were cut by Paul Stubblebine with his modded lathe (Pass Electronics).

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Talking Book sounds great Myles but the original Tamla vinyl (if you can find it) beats it. Still a great series.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Finally some TEARS FOR FEARS. :D

I'm a huge TFF fan and I've been waiting for an audiophile pressing of their albums for decades. That's not to say I'm unhappy with my standard copies, which are still in sublime condition, but I'm a fan and need this indulgence!;)

The 2 LP's just released are "Songs From The Big Chair" and "Sowing The Seeds Of Love". Hopefully "The Hurting" is coming too one day!

I've been very pleased so far with the Silver Series of LP's and I have no doubt these will be wonderfully done as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing