SACD or 24;96 downloads?

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
I've invested in a nice 2 channel audio system, and listen to mostly popular music via computer-based server and primarily ripped CD's + a few downloads.
I've purchased a number of MFSL audiophile hybrid-SACD discs over the years, but I have no SACD player, so listen to their redbook layer. Still, most of these discs sound very good to me.
Question:
Would it be wise for me to invest in either a lone SACD player for the 13-15 SACD's I own, and play these manually as the physical disc in anticipation that more SACD's are to come, or to wait for the 24;96 and hi-res market to take hold?
When HD Tracks first came out, I was so excited by access to hi-res music, but its become clear that hi-res doesn't mean better sonics. I just want to maximize the best sound I can get from my system.
Thanks

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
We have ripped a few thousand SACD's for HDtracks. Are the titles that you have on HDtracks?

If not, I would not invest in a standalone SACD player for the few that you have. Hopefully someday we will get around to doing transfers of the titles you need.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FWIW, i agree. MFSL generally does an excellent job on 16/44 layers, and imho much of the quality of what one hears is the mastering job before the transfer to the final format, be it sacd or 16/44 redbook. so i do not think you are missing much by not having sacd...and certainly not worth buying sacd for 13 discs. and by the way, there are those who find the well mastered redbooks on great redbook players to be comparable to or occassionally better than some so-so sacd editions of the same album.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing