Which DAC is better??

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
I am in the process of fine tuning my system and one of the things I am looking at is a PC based music server. I am in the market for a DAC to pair with my HTPC. Currently I have 500GB of music stored on a HD. Most of them are stored as .flac and .alac files. The computer is a antec fusion black (htpc chasis), intel core i3 cpu 3.20 Ghz, 8gb ram, 64 bit operating system(W7). I have done some reading and I have come across various USB DAC's (some asynchronous, some not). I was wondering if I could get some suggestions/recommendations from you guys. Is a asynchronous that important? Would it be cheaper to get a USB to S/PDIF converter and standalone DAC? I am looking for something that is built solid to go with a pass pre-amp (XP10) and 2 channel amp (X250). :confused:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Did you say "Home Theatre PC"? Is this strictly for stereo music or 5.1/7.1 movies as well? If this is for movies AND music, then I would suggest a LynxTWO-B. If just for music, I'd suggest something like a USB DAC like the Ayre or Benchmark. Remeber to keep it simple. Don't try to start converting USB to SPDIF to whatever. You'll only run into headaches.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
USB is a protocol a DAC (the chip set doing the DA conversion) doesn’t understand.
You have to convert USB to a protocol the DAC do understand (SPDIF, I2S) anyway.
If you do have a DAC (the box) you like, a USB > SPDIF converter make sense.
If not, a USB DAC is an option.
Maybe this link is of use: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Audio.htm

Thank you VERY MUCH Vincent. I am not sure I understand the last post too well but, the link you gave me explains everything I needed to know!!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize there so many types of DAC's. Looks like the one I am looking for is a Asynchronous USB 2 DAC. I am going to look around for some deals!!

Any thoughts on the M2Tech Young DAC??? Also, do you think asynchronous is absolutely necessary?????

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Is there anything in audio “absolute”?
What strikes me is that almost all recent USB DACs are async.

I have no personal experience with M2Tech products.
Do check user forums for driver issues.

ejusted

Feb 9, 2011
New Jersey
Did you say "Home Theatre PC"? Is this strictly for stereo music or 5.1/7.1 movies as well? If this is for movies AND music, then I would suggest a LynxTWO-B. If just for music, I'd suggest something like a USB DAC like the Ayre or Benchmark. Remeber to keep it simple. Don't try to start converting USB to SPDIF to whatever. You'll only run into headaches.

Yes I do watch blu-rays on it as well. My primary goal however is to get great sounding 2channel sound out of it. My current set up involves a surround processor(for movies/tv), a pre-amp (two channel listening) which is connected to a 2 channel amp. If I had that sound card in my pc....how would I incorporate it into my system?

I have no personal experience with M2Tech products.
Do check user forums for driver issues.

I thank you for your speedy response. You have given me a lot of reading to do. You are correct when you say nothing is “absolute” in music. Mostly a matter of preference. :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes I do watch blu-rays on it as well. My primary goal however is to get great sounding 2channel sound out of it. My current set up involves a surround processor(for movies/tv), a pre-amp (two channel listening) which is connected to a 2 channel amp. If I had that sound card in my pc....how would I incorporate it into my system?

It has been my experience that either you have a system for movies or a system for music. You can't have both that sound good. It's either/or.

How do you connect the computer to your processor? Does your processor have a 2-channel by-pass? If so, then connect the by-passed 2-channel signal directly into your XP-10.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Unfortunately that has not been my experience. For example, I just tested the PeachTree iDac that just came out and it is not async. They ahve new Dac*it that is coming and even that one is not.

I think manufacturers don't want to pay the royalties to license or have the expertise in-house to do it.

Best work-around then is to get an async USB to S/PDIF converter and then be free to buy any DAC. With these boxes going for less than $500 now, it makes good economic sense to go that route.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing