Calibration tape

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I suppose that that may be true. But, that would also mean that any Prosumer machine (I believe that they are almost all) in an upright design could not have wow and flutter perform as a console orientation machine (unless it was placed horizontally). In my situation though I just do not think that I have the space to install this machine in a console orientation. In addition any machine set up in the console orientation could not be monitored as well from across the room as in a vertical orientation.

So, if true, like so many other things in life and in audio I may have to compromise a little performance to have the ability to use this or just about any other R2R machine in my system in a vertical orientation.

Roger having seen photos of my room and the available space that I have has concurred that he does not believe that I could install a horizontally oriented machine and could only install a vertically oriented R2R for the available space.

In addition, a console orientation may be more convenient for sitting in front of the machine for recording as in a recording studio environment, my machine will be and is intended more for playback and only to be used for recording on occasion.

Rich

Rich,

I have 5 tape decks right now,soon to be 7, 3 are vertical,4 will be horizontal. If had to worry about the WAF I'd be divorced. Whatever the orientation was when I bought them that's what I have. Being R2R rich has one disadvantage I don't care for.....

Lack of space!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Horizontal type or angle adjustable console is more easy to load up tape especially for those with big movement tension spring, I got experience of quick load up tape in live recording, musicians are waiting for my signal to start, then you know what is the different for easy loading !
tony ma

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
At the moment I have 4 used calibration tapes for sale- Ampex 15ips NAB; MRL 15ips IEC and two MRL 7 1/2ips NAB. $50 each plus shipping. Email me if interested - stellavox@excite.com.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Good evening Sam
I am working on the repro amp of A80's modification, a tube out put, after done will start to make copy from our live recording, we bought blank tapes and reels already also need to settle the legal matter first and then will make a web site too, wait till there, won't be too long
best
tony ma

Tremendous, Tony...let us know :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing