Calibration tape

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bruce. But what the heck happened to things getting cheaper? These things are pricey.....

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Amir,

MRL is the best, I usually try to buy the long version as opposed to the short tape.

Try Ebay.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Rich. That's pretty good inventory! I made it to the second page. Much more to read through tomorrow! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Amir,

What type of calibration are you doing?

I have bought MLR tapes, but for a quick alignment at 15 ips I have also used the Tape Project calibration tape. I do not know if its available separately to non subscribers.

Pievox from Germany also sells calibration tapes at a lower price than MLR, but I do not have references on their accuracy.

http://www.pievox.de/Pegel.htm

They are sold at the German ebay

http://shop.ebay.de/pievox/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Amirm
the cheaper way is ask Ki to make one for you ether copy from a calibration tape or record from a sig-gen by one of his pro machine, once your machine match to his machine then you will play his recorded tape perfectly
tony ma

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks guys. I am a bit like the guy shopping for car wheels but yet, not owning a car :). I have not yet bought the deck but am researching all aspects of it.

I expect to get a used deck and like to run it through its paces to make sure it measures right. Being lucky to own an Audio Precision Analyzer, with a full suite of tape measurement tests, I can do justice to this rather than the old says of looking at frequency counter and scope. To that end, I like to get a high-quality calibration tape.

That said, I am not motivated to pay more for it than the machine will cost me :). So the suggestion of getting something from Ki might make sense.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, I didn't realize they gave you a calibration tape for free.

What is the deal with the subscription? Do they have the tapes for the past issues at hand and send them to you as soon as you sign up or do you have to wait for them to make them?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

What is the deal with the subscription? Do they have the tapes for the past issues at hand and send them to you as soon as you sign up or do you have to wait for them to make them?

Hi Amir,

It is expensive, but :eek::

http://www.tapeproject.com/subscription/subscription.htm

Your deck will need IEC equalization (rather than NAB) to play the Tape Project Tapes.

Rich

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

You do get a free one with subscription. Many of the titles are sold out with only a handful of other titles lft. As for the new ones you wait til they go into production

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I expect to get a used deck and like to run it through its paces to make sure it measures right. Being lucky to own an Audio Precision Analyzer, with a full suite of tape measurement tests, I can do justice to this rather than the old says of looking at frequency counter and scope. To that end, I like to get a high-quality calibration tape.

If you are going to refurbish an old machine you will need an wow and flutter test tape, not included in the Tape Project tape, that has only IEC equalizing tones at 250nW/m. As far as I remember the AP also includes a scrape flutter test - do you have the "High Band" flutter option?

BTW, you should buy a Studer - it will feel at home with the Levinson's! :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Amir, I'd like to learn more about your experience with the AP

if possible (I'm considering acquiring one)...is it a currently supported model or an S1/S2? I believe it was mentioned there was a capability to evaluate tape performance...if you have the W & F module, does it require a test tape?

I have a few MRL alignment tapes, 1/4" and 1/2", obtained from John French and the Tape Project alignment tape...they did NOT match up.

My tech advised that I establish MRL as the reference...I adhered to his advice :cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a system 2. Now that you mention it, we had no intension of measuring tape so it doesn't probably have the W&F module. I will do an inventory and report back.

Tapes are tricky things when it comes to calibration. One never knows how good they are. Some things are better in digital :).

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
In reading the paper come whit MRL calibration tape (choosing and using MRL calibration tapes for audio tape recorder standardization), you will find out in analog world, 0.00% accurate means nothing. in the paper said below 500hz at a tape speed of 15 in/s - there are important sources of error that make this approach inaccurate-----. when I made adjusting the record amp of Studer A80 and A810, there are only have a high frequency pot and has no LF pot for adjust and said to using the repro amp's low frequency pot to match the in put of recording. so measurement of tape machine is not same as digital system will not have a very detail numbers but compare different recorder's sound quality they all sound different even the frequency respond almost the same, so just change any parts in there include mechanical and electrical will change the sound also, that is why listening compare is the only way in tape machine which I believe
tony ma

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
if possible (I'm considering acquiring one)...is it a currently supported model or an S1/S2? I believe it was mentioned there was a capability to evaluate tape performance...if you have the W & F module, does it require a test tape?

I have a few MRL alignment tapes, 1/4" and 1/2", obtained from John French and the Tape Project alignment tape...they did NOT match up.

My tech advised that I establish MRL as the reference...I adhered to his advice :cool:

I use the MRL tapes for the mechanical checks, such as wow and flutter, and rely on the Tape Project for other alignments, as my major (until now unique ...) source for tapes is the Tapeproject . Where did you find they do not match?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Tapes are tricky things when it comes to calibration. One never knows how good they are. Some things are better in digital :).

Only some? Administrator caught playing with fire near the gunpowder store ... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing