Contemplating Reel to Reel

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
All I can say to you Rich is this. I've made some bad choices in the past few years trying to outfit the studio. I've chased after several deals but ended up regretting it because for the money i put into it trying to get it up and running in tip top shape, I could have bought a new or fairly new one in the first place.

Hi Bruce,

Who makes new rtr's? I know Mike Spitz rebuilds Ampex 102's and Andreas rebuilds Studers. Unless your talking about some other equipment.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The only one I know of is the Otari.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
After reading about demagnetizing the tape heads in our threads here on the forum, I am now somewhat concerned about where I will place the new Ampex project machine in relation to my right big OMA New Yorker speaker:

I plan to slide the First Watt M2 Power amp (amp on the top of the double rack to the left) to the right toward the other stack of amps, move the modified Lavry DA10 DAC elsewhere and place the Ampex to the left of the top surface of the rack system. The Ampex should be about 3' away from the magnet for the high/mid frequency compression horn and probably about the same distance from the woofer magnets.

Should I have any concerns regarding feedback or magnetic problems for both the Ampex Tape heads and the proximity of the speaker to the tapes that will run through the machine by placing the Ampex as I have suggested?

Rich

Gorgeous pic, Rich:p

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
For what it's worth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22wG8-zhmNo
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKAfrTTCAxk&feature=related

Didn't realize or forgot that Rich took some pics when he was here late last year. Thank You Rich

Been busy with a battery-powered power supply for and a "simplified" (one-box) version (only have one at the moment) of my K/C preamp along with completing my version of the ML-5, which I call the ML-4.5. Along with a WHOLE NOTHER path to take - for the audiophile firmly ensconced in his retirement home - an RV - so everything has to be powered from 12VDC - like what I hope to be in a few years.

Let me know if you are interested in hearing more.

CHEERS

Charles

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Yesterday I placed an order for caps and resistors from Parts Connnexion for upgrading the record cards for Ampex 440C/B hybrid machine that will be prepared. These will be shipped directly to Roger.

I placed the order today and put down my deposit for the building of the Ampex 440C/B hybrid machine and included the addition of an IEC inlet so that I could use the power cord of my choice with Wayne Gunn. I will send Wayne a tape in the future so that he can calibrate the machine for recording. Wayne is sending the record and produce cards off to Roger for the installation of the upgraded parts by Fred.

I also ordered feet from Herbies Audio to place below the Ampex tape deck and the Variac adjustable transformer. Once I have the machine and it is installed in what we ultimately decide as the case design I will determine if I need any additional absorbing material that will be ordered from Herbies.

I have to get Andrew to supply me with the needed information so that I can determine the kind of custom made case that will be used to house the machine.

Also, we have to now make arrangements for the obtaining of the 2 transformers to be added to the produce cards for the machine. Once the cards are completed and Roger has auditioned them these will be sent on to Wayne for the completion of the machine.

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Rich,

It sound like your build is coming along quite nicely. I have a question though, what are "record cards"? Is this something unique to Ampex?

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Rich,

It sound like your build is coming along quite nicely. I have a question though, what are "record cards"? Is this something unique to Ampex?

Hi John,

Thanks. I am looking forward to this just as you are for the Revox. The big Ampex like a lot of the other Pro machines have swappable cards of electronics for the different number of record and playback heads. So, we are upgrading caps and resistors on the cards for both recording and playback (produce). We are putting more effort into in the electronics for playback than recording. I do not ever anticipate engineering recording. In any case, the caps and the resistors on the stock cards at this point are over 30 years old and undoubtedly some of the parts that we are replacing are out of spec or have drifted from when the cards were built. In addition, caps and resistors have improved since the Ampex 440 machines started and ceased production.

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Rich,

John,

The Ampex AG 440 series has 3 separate plug & play cards that install easily into the front side of the electronics module. The 3 cards are the bias,record,and reproduce.

There maybe others,but I like the ease of access that particular Ampex design offers.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So is this unique to Ampex then?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
So is this unique to Ampex then?

Though some other makers such as Studer,MCI,Otari use plug in cards, the 440 electronics with the module offer a compact platform.

I know the Aria electronics have accessable cards,but those excellent preamps are aftermarket

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thank you Roger!

I have another question, and I hope Rich doesn't mind me asking it here. It's a question concerning recording. If one has a 4-track machine, can one thereby record an LP in both directions (hope I'm explaining that properly)? Whereas if one has a 2-track machine it can only be done in one?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you Roger!

I have another question, and I hope Rich doesn't mind me asking it here. It's a question concerning recording. If one has a 4-track machine, can one thereby record an LP in both directions (hope I'm explaining that properly)? Whereas if one has a 2-track machine it can only be done in one?

I have owned such a machine - an impressive 4 track TEAC X 2000 R Reel to Reel with play and record auto reverse. On common 4 track machines you have to flip the tape.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Thank you Roger!

Hi John
4 track head's track is narrow than 2 track, so it record and repro with no.1 and 3 track in first direction and 2 and 4 in reverse, then it can double up the play time vs 2 track, but 2 track get more tape area for signal, usually for better condition of keeping 2 track tape is with tail out ( to keep it in after played condition and rewind first in next play) because it can only play in one direction
tony ma

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
We are close to having all the parts. I am just waiting on Richard's boards and I will be able to foward the reproduce and record packets to my tech. The picture is one of the reproduce packets,that includes instructions.schematics,parts lists,specifications,silver solder, and the parts.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
As an update, Roger informed me that earlier today that he has received both pair of record and reproduce cards (Wayne had tested the cards prior to shipment) for the Ampex 440C/B Hybrid project machine. Roger is also in receipt of all of the resistors, caps, and 2 transformers for making the upgrades to the Ampex R2R machine. Roger will be forwarding all of these parts to Fred for installation. Additionally, Wayne Gunn has now completed Roger's Ampex 350 work which he will ship off to Roger; Wayne has also begun the work on my Ampex R2R.

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Richard,

We are rolling on the 440/Hybrid Blackgate project. I just received a photo of the first reproduce board as it is finished. I am incredibly excited as the board looks really nice by my eye. The 2nd board will be finshed soon and then both will be tested. If everything goes smoothly then the 2nd set will proceed.

This conversion if all goes well, will be a big step for Ampex 440 sound. The bottom photo is the original board for comparison.

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Richard,

We are rolling on the 440/Hybrid Blackgate project. I just received a photo of the first reproduce board as it is finished. I am incredibly excited as the board looks really nice by my eye. The 2nd board will be finshed soon and then both will be tested. If everything goes smoothly then the 2nd set will proceed.

This conversion if all goes well, will be a big step for Ampex 440 sound. The bottom photo is the orginal board for comparison.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the update and the photos. The upgraded board and parts with the Lundahl transformer look great. Is this one of your boards or one of mine in the photos?

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the update and the photos. The upgraded board and parts with the Lundahl transformer look great. Is this one of your boards or one of mine in the photos?

Rich

Hi Richard,

This is from group "A" which is my board, I wanted to test them 1st,as there really isn't a way to test them in the conventional way. Just to make sure things don't have a unexpected problem. The work is somewhat tedious but, I will have your reproduce cards done and here in about 2 weeks or less.

Then the record cards will be done,your record cards will be done first,tested and then your complete set will be shipped to Wayne. As I said,my goal is to have your project done on schedule.

Roger

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi Richard,

This is from group "A" which is my board, I wanted to test them 1st,as there really isn't a way to test them in the conventional way. Just to make sure things don't have a unexpected problem. The work is somewhat tedious but, I will have your reproduce cards done and here in about 2 weeks or less.

Then the record cards will be done,your record cards will be done first,tested and then your complete set will be shipped to Wayne. As I said,my goal is to have your project done on schedule.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I presume that you intend to test the sound of group "A" and compare the sound with the stock cards and the RTZ cards that you have of course with the understanding that the parts need to burn in before the group "B" card are done. Then I presume that you will listen to the group "B" cards (both the reproduce and the record) before shipping them on to Wayne.

Rich

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

I presume that you intend to test the sound of group "A" and compare the sound with the stock cards and the RTZ cards that you have of course with the understanding that the parts need to burn in before the group "B" card are done. Then I presume that you will listen to the group "B" cards (both the reproduce and the record) before shipping them on to Wayne.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have been proofing some sourdough dough,so I'm back and forth tonight.

Yes, I will compare group A and B to the Ampex originals and RTZ. As far as burning in the cards,mine will be played and gather some time as yours are finished. As you know the BG caps have a burn in time of 400 hours plus and the Lundahl transformers are a minimum of 200 hours. It is my experience that if the "electronics" are euphonic you will know immediately. Your's will be listened to enough for me to be satisfied that they match mine in performance. I do not want to hold Wayne up and I do not think it is necessary to burn them fully in. I want you to have some fun too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing