Super Speakers

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Rockport with all front firing woofer? Now that is something. I have listened to basically all models of the Rockport up to Altair and my only reservation is the side firing woofer that will almost certainly not work in my room. Pls keep us posted on the development. I am especially keen on the size/dimension of the new speaker.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
Rockport with all front firing woofer? Now that is something. I have listened to basically all models of the Rockport up to Altair and my only reservation is the side firing woofer that will almost certainly not work in my room. Pls keep us posted on the development. I am especially keen on the size/dimension of the new speaker.

What is your concern about the side-firing woofer in your room? Not trying to challenge anything, just curious.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
What is your concern about the side-firing woofer in your room? Not trying to challenge anything, just curious.

From physical standpoint, the side firing woofer adds depth to the speaker that my room (not a dedicated room, but a living room) that will just be too dominating. I can accept somewhat larger front panel but shallower footprint. From the sonic standpoint, my room is a living room with wall on one side and no wall on another (opens up to dining place/kitchen etc.). I can't say 100% that the side firing woofer will not work here, or that front firing will work better from sonic standpoint, but the physical aspect alone is a big minus point/handicap to begin with (negotiation with significant other will be more intense). Initially I wanted a very wide dispersion speaker that have very large sweetspot, so I tried Revel, B&W etc., but if the Rockport has a shallow footprint and sounds as it always sound, I would be very tempted.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing