A real brawl about Daniel Hertz M1 speakers at the Axpona show!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Those speakers remind me of the ghetto blaster speakers you see in front of "rent to own" stores.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Looks like the ad is listed by the guy to peddles verrastar cables. I guess he has peddled enough of the cables to get into the high end speaker business. I am surprised he is using the same name!!!! The guy buying a Ferrari would probably not want to know the dealer has a Hyundai or a Yugo dealership.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fb.pl?user=Verastarr

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1309369706&/Daniel-Hertz-M1-By-Mr.Mark-Lev

Verastarr also sells power cords and amps:

http://www.verastarr.com/

Rich

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Those speakers remind me of the ghetto blaster speakers you see in front of "rent to own" stores.

Hey! I have a pair of those, something similar, in my basement in my HT set-up for L+R. You would be surprised how good Pro drivers can sound if you take the time and set them up. Mine are active 4 ways but they are really quite similar. Their cabinets are nicer than mine;) They are not the best sounding speakers I own but they sound damn good. Don't let apperance get in the way you really need to hear them. 100K that's nuts.

Rob:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Verastarr has gone upmarket I see. They used to make pretty good budget cables. I wonder if it's still the same people running the company, not that I knew who they were 6 years ago.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Verastarr also sells power cords and amps:

http://www.verastarr.com/

Rich

As is made very clear in this thread, much of this hobby is based on the marketing illusion. If a guy sells hot dogs off a cart in NYC by day, and runs a fancy steak house by night in the Theater District, he probably doesn't want to let his highbrow customers know that.

Why not call the speaker business something like "Commanding Heights Audio", or something like that?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Verastarr has gone upmarket I see. They used to make pretty good budget cables. I wonder if it's still the same people running the company, not that I knew who they were 6 years ago.

I know them. Same people, just better designs. They are local and I've been to the "factory".

darkmatter

Mar 11, 2014
East Anglia UK
Aww man, I canna believe some people fell for it!! I wanted someone to ask that ya know haha. (just gagging, in case it came across the wrong way)

Ok then, here are some pics, and you tell me they are not the most gorgeous thing you have ever seen!

The bottom driver is a PHL 18, then a PHl ten and PHL 6.5, with a morel tweeter. I also run two maelstrom 18 subs (not pictured)

Hope they come up. (they did, sorry about the size) As you can 'see', there are two drivers (apart from the tweeter) that need to be in their own separate chamber. Not something I personally would have thought a sales point, but some do evidently.

I did mean to say a few generic things. The one thing that seems to be common amongst those who hear my system is along the lines of 'that is NOT a normal hi fi sound' or words to that effect.

Tho that could mean an insult, it usually means it sound completely different to *most* hi fi systems out there. (good or bad, at least very different).

that seems to be one of the take away observations of the Daniel Hertz speakers too.. what is it down to?? the pro drivers?? active?? the deqx?? all of the above, none??

Interesting that their use of pro drivers kinda elicits similar responses.

One thing I am pretty sure of, there is nothing that beats a damn good bass sound. He uses 18's, I use 18's...and everyone is blown out by my bass.

Hi fi systems just sound 'different', really hard to put a finger on it.

Hi,

Are you able to repost? The Photobucket curse has struck again!

Thanks

DM

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I listened to the speakers at Axpona and they didn't leave a great impression on me. I also thought they looked a little gaudy. The most musical sounds I heard at Axpona came from the MBL 101E MK2, the Adam Tensor and the Scaena.

Me and my friends heard this ML speakers at CES a few years ago, presented by Mark Levinson himself.
We listened for 5 min. and ran out of the room laughing. They were dreadful.
And the man himself was quite obnoxious. Arrogant, pompous and very incensere. His whole "presentation" was nothing, but a marketing hype, intended for less, than experienced audience.
Was one of the worst experiences going to CES for many years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing