Transfiguration Axia cartridge review

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The latest edition of Stereophile had a review written by Michael Fremer of the Transfiguration Axia phono cartridge. The Axia retails for $1950. I found the review to be out of touch with reality on several levels. Michael says the Axia "lacks deep bass" and recommends it be used with a stand-mounted pair of two-way speakers with a bass bump in order to make up for the Axia's lack of deep bass. Really?

Since Audiogon put me in a crappy mood today over the ****-poor way they treated me in some emails over them not publishing the negative feedback I submitted for the guy who sold me the piece of junk plinth (they had the nerve to tell me that I didn't purchase the plinth through Audiogon when clearly I did and that I was the problem!) They finally apologized and told me to resubmit, but now I so mad at them I can't see straight. I'm convinced that Audiogon is a great moneymaker, they just don't really give a damn about their customers and think they can treat them like dirt because they are the best game in town for buying and selling used audio gear.

So being on a tear today, I submitted the following to Stereophile:

Editor,

I find myself appalled that a cartridge that costs $1950 has no low bass according to Mikey and you need to use it with stand mounted speakers with a mid-bass bump to “compensate for its lack of deep bass.” Really? Is that the best we can expect for $1950 from a phono cartridge? That’s pathetic and I’m embarrassed for the hobby if this is the point we have reached now. You spend $1950 for a cartridge with no bottom end and then the rest of the review compares this cartridge to much more expensive cartridges in order further show how deficient this cartridge is and how much music you are missing by not having a much better cartridge. I find this review to be rather strange and the conclusion even stranger: “The Transfiguration Axis is easy to recommend at its price.” Really?? $1950 for a cartridge with no bottom end? No thanks, I think I will pass on that deal. There are plenty of cartridges out there that get the bottom end for far less than $1950.

I guess what really alarms me is that we (or at least Mikey) have reached a point where you don’t really expect too much from a $1950 cartridge. Mikey said that for $1950 “you’re entitled to expect something that’s well made and performs at a high level.” But apparently this cartridge doesn’t perform at a high level if it doesn’t have low bass and is recommended for use with bookshelf speakers with a mid-bass bump. Something is just wrong here. I think you have a right to expect a lot from a $1950 cartridge. There is really nothing that justifies the high prices of phono cartridges in the first place. How much more does it really cost to make an expensive cartridge vice a “cheap” cartridge. There just isn’t that much material involved in manufacturing a cartridge. I don’t think there is anything on earth that costs as much per gram of weight as a phono cartridge. The Axia weighs 7 grams. That’s $278.57 per gram. A gram of gold is currently selling for $48.47. Platinum is trading for $65.10 per gram. A Koetsu Bloodstone Platinum sells for $9999.99 and weighs 12.5 grams. That comes out to $799.99 per gram. It takes the same skill level to assemble cheap cartridges as it does expensive cartridges. Something is wrong here people. And it starts with saying a $1950 cartridge with no bottom end is acceptable. It’s not. If it truly is missing the bottom end, it’s a flawed product. Recommending the flawed product be used with a flawed pair of bookshelf speakers in order to compensate for the lack of bottom end seems out of place in a high-end magazine (two wrongs make a right here).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nice Mark

Let's see if it gets published let alone answered

I received a personal response right away from Fremer. He is trying to backtrack on what he clearly said in his review and I quoted his exact words. Here is the email I received from Fremer:

Mark I never wrote that the AXIA has no low bass. Take a deep breath and step away from your outrage.

There are cartridges with better bottom end performance. They cost more.

There are many great cartridges at reasonable price points.

But if you think that better performance doesn't come at a cost then you think for some reason audio is different than automobiles, furniture, clothing, wine, etc.

It's not. Should the wine industry be "ashamed" because a bottle of fermented grapes labeled "Petrus" costs 1000+?

Well it is not nor should it be. However, with cartridges you get 1000+ plays. With wine you end up with expensive urine. I think audio is a much better value but I sure like that wine!

Michael Fremer

Sent from my iPhone

Here is what I sent back:

Mike,
You certainly said it had a "lack of deep bass" and that is a direct quote from you. Are you trying to dance around on the head of a pin now and parse your words? Didn't you say that you "bet the Axia would mate well with a two-way, stand mounted speaker whose frequency response included a mid-bass bump to compensate for its lack of deep bass"? And I don't believe that you have to pay more than $2K in order to get better bottom end performance. The Denon 103R has the bottom octave. My Benz Glider SL has the bottom octave. Are you trying to say you have to spend more than $2K in order to find a cartridge that can reproduce 20-40 Hz?

I know you are Mr. Analog, but I'm here to tell you that if a $2K cartridge has a "lack of deep bass" it is a flawed product. I don't even know what part you are trying to argue Michael. You said what you said and I quoted you directly. If there is a difference between lack of deep bass and no deep bass, please explain it to me. To me, it's either there or it's not. Now I can see talking about the differences in the quality of the bass different cartridges produce, but when you get to the point where you are recommending two-way speakers with a bass bump in order to make up for the lack of deep bass from a $2K cartridge, something is dead wrong in my opinion.

And sure, I realize that to the point of diminishing returns, more money buys you better quality. But my point is a $2K cartridge better provide you with the bottom octave or this hobby is totally out of whack.

So yeah, the review pissed me off because it shows how out of touch some people have come from reality. You live in the land of accommodation prices and I'm sure some free cartridges have rolled their way to you over the years. That's all fine and good. Regular audiophiles have to spend real money to buy cartridges at non-accommodation prices which basically means you're getting fucked anyway. A $2K cartridge costs the dealer $1K. If it went through a distributor before it got to the dealer, he got a cut too. The company that makes the cartridge doesn't have that much money in the damn thing so the poor consumer is the one taking it in the shorts. So yeah, if I chunk out $2K for a cartridge, I'm not paying for part of the audio frequency spectrum. I hope you get my point Michael.

Mark

Here is Michael's latest response that just came in as i was pasting the above comments:

You don't really mean to suggest that the Benz Glider has the same bass performance as the Benz LP-S do you?

Look if you think a Denon 103 is the last word in bottom octave performance I don't know what to tell you...or on what system you listen to to make your sonic judgements.

Perhaps I should have phrased it somewhat more elegantly by saying it lacked full bass weight and definition.

My point was that what the AXIA does not do on the bottom octaves will not be missed by most people who will end up with a mid price mid performance cartridge.

In any case I don't know what to make of your angry tone...

Sent from my iPhone

I guess he dosen't get my point, but he keeps trying to change the meaning of what he clearly wrote in his review. His bottom line is don't expect much for $1950.00 and I have a problem.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I want to set the record straight here for all to see. I like Stereophile and I am a long-time subscriber. I like JA and I told him publically on this forum that I respect him and his work. I truly believe that JA calls them as he sees them when he does his measurements and finds flaws in gear. I don't ever think JA holds anything back.

I also like Michael Fremer and I do believe he has a sharp set of ears. I believe him when he says the Axia is lacking in the bottom end. I just don't agree that the cartridge should have been given a free pass and I don't agree with Michael's comment that people that buy this cartridge won't miss the bottom octave anyway. No wonder we can't attract people to this hobby and that digital lovers think analog people are stone-cold crazy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cool down Pardner :) I think Mikey will be more careful in the future by "phrasing more elegantly". Looks like you've done your job.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Cool down Pardner :) I think Mikey will be more careful in the future by "phrasing more elegantly". Looks like you've done your job.

I am wound up today thanks to Audiogon. I'm tired of people trying to rip me off by selling me junk and Audiogon giving me a hard time over it. So yeah, this review sent me over the edge today. You know you just can't expect much from a cartridge that costs only $1950.00. And the poor suckers who buy it won't miss the bottom octave anyway. They just need a pair of stand mounted two-way speakers with a bass bump to fool them into thinking they are getting good bass response. I just find all of that nonsense highly offensive.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Is it that reviewers are so afraid of cutting off their income source by publishing negative comments? If a $2000 cartridge is lacking much of anything, I'd call it an utter failure.

Lee

caesar

May 30, 2010
I want to set the record straight here for all to see. I like Stereophile and I am a long-time subscriber. I like JA and I told him publically on this forum that I respect him and his work. I truly believe that JA calls them as he sees them when he does his measurements and finds flaws in gear. I don't ever think JA holds anything back.

I also like Michael Fremer and I do believe he has a sharp set of ears. I believe him when he says the Axia is lacking in the bottom end. I just don't agree that the cartridge should have been given a free pass and I don't agree with Michael's comment that people that buy this cartridge won't miss the bottom octave anyway. No wonder we can't attract people to this hobby and that digital lovers think analog people are stone-cold crazy.

MEP,

All reviews are relative to something one is familiar with. That's why the audiophile vocabulary is a bunch of horseshit, unless the products are compared against a cohort of stuff at the same price point, as well as a cohort at a higher and lower price point - to bring out the highlights and weaknesses. This type of comparison will help people figure out what kind of tradeoffs they are making with their piece of gear, and how much better or worse they can do by adding or subtracting $X.

However, no one in the audio reviewing business has the cojones to do such a comparison. So Fremer is probably right, but his comparison is quite useless to you because he was not diligent enough in his work to present the whole picture to make you aware of the tradeoffs.

PS. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the purpose of a cartridge? (I am a simple man and only use a CD player.)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mark, when MF says.."In any case I don't know what to make of your angry tone..." it is an arbiter of how out of touch this guy seems to be. Perhaps, you should explain to him that in the world that many people are living in today, $1900-. is a whole month's or more income!
So, I for one completely agree with your post to MF and can see your point entirely. IMHO, it's about time that reviewers stopped pulling their punches and started to be more 'honest' with their audience and if a product needs to be slammed, well then slam it. Luckily, I also think that most of the readers of S'phile and its ilk are not stupid. They can read and understand when MF and other reviewers are 'pulling their punches', due to some vested interest. Therefore,IMO, at the end of the day, MF and others are simply insuring that their reputations are sullied.:(

To conclude, I do wander how MF would feel if he were to have pay full bore for his gear and how discriminatory he would become in his reviewing if that was the case:mad:

OOps, Sorry that brings us back to my other closed thread:D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
One of the reasons I don't like to review cartridges myself is that:

1. I don't have access to the other high end competitors to compare and don't want a vast stable of expensive cartridges that nobody will remember in eight months unless I renew my stable every eight months.
2. I think that unless you run a cartridge with ten different turntables, tonearms, and phono stages, you probably can't really begin to evaluate a cartridge fairly, and this is not going to happen. The logistics are insane in terms of cross connecting the variations, as well as crazy laborious, and nobody without a photographic aural memory would be able to keep track.

I think Ortofon employs a panel of expert listeners, who evaluate its cartridges and give "subjective" consensus that determines their price policy to some extent. I don't know about the other manufacturers.

I think Fremer has ears, and writes what he hears as well as he can, but at the end of the day he is only a guy in a room and he is going to hear cartridges on a limited set of equipment and rely on notes and memory to make comparisons.

Subscribers will insist anyway on reviews, and that's what they get, but cartridges are the most frustrating, variable, and difficult things to describe, and rely heavily on a variety of synergies to work optimally.

Fremer's defense seems to be that there are a lot of rich people that like expensive things and that they want to know where those expensive things stand in relation to each other.

Human beings want status, and they are willing to pay for exclusivity, even if the item is an absurd affectation with an equally absurd price. They also want to believe that while standing in their listening room with their brandy snifter, smoking jacket and cigar, they have something that is better than anyone else's and that they are envied and admired.

As a reader, you just have to take it for what it's worth and consider the source and the context and move on.

However, this was another really cool fight.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't think anyone ever did a better job of reviewing cartridges than David Wilson of Wilson Audio fame. Once upon a long time ago, DAW was a writer for TAS and his reviews of cartridges were second to none IMO. David would compare cartridges to his master tapes and he did really cool drawings to help you visualize the points he was trying to make.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Some of it might have to do with one's view of the critic's role.

I think audio reviews are equal parts information and entertainment. That is why they are great "porcelain throne" material. I don't require sterling ethics, only decent ethics.

Entertainment means making audio interesting, lively and new. It also means injecting glamour, social status, expense and competitive hierarchy in evaluations of products. That is what people generally want, whether they will admit it or not, it seems to be part of the "fun".

Information means exploring the intricacies of products I will probably never see outside of exclusive contexts and environments, if ever.

Fremer may come across occasionally as a drool bucket epicure with his waxing about fine wines and high living, but he does inform and entertain.

My sister is a minor league wine/food expert and writer. It is really something to watch her joust in a restaurant with a sommelier.

However, the wine industry is rife with fraud and pretense, like a lot of high end audio. There are guys with way too much money who have spent it on multi million dollar cellars of fraudulent labels and successful confidence men who have managed to rip the rich guys off by dictating their tastes.

I am a complete heathen and regard expensive wine as rich people creating fake mythologies to make the act of getting drunk appear exclusive and different from the bum dousing a bottle of Night Train. Whether that is sociologically accurate or not, I don't know, it works for me.

Most critics incorporate the "comedy of manners" into their shtick by necessity, it is part of their job.

There are readers who WANT to believe that a $2000 cartridge is a piece of junk compared to a $15,000 exclusive.

Cartridges are pieces of custom jewelry, fabricated with micro-surgical precision, and that isn't going to be cheap.

However, I would also bet that if you took, say, five randomly selected Koetsu Coralstones and played them on five identical turntable/arm/phono/stereo systems, you would be able to hear differences in all of them.

Standardized mass production is not possible with these hand made objects, most of them are going to be one-offs. How do you review that?

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Mark, when MF says.."In any case I don't know what to make of your angry tone..." it is an arbiter of how out of touch this guy seems to be. Perhaps, you should explain to him that in the world that many people are living in today, $1900-. is a whole month's or more income!
So, I for one completely agree with your post to MF and can see your point entirely. IMHO, it's about time that reviewers stopped pulling their punches and started to be more 'honest' with their audience and if a product needs to be slammed, well then slam it. Luckily, I also think that most of the readers of S'phile and its ilk are not stupid. They can read and understand when MF and other reviewers are 'pulling their punches', due to some vested interest. Therefore,IMO, at the end of the day, MF and others are simply insuring that their reputations are sullied.:(

To conclude, I do wander how MF would feel if he were to have pay full bore for his gear and how discriminatory he would become in his reviewing if that was the case:mad:

OOps, Sorry that brings us back to my other closed thread:D

Hi

I agree with this post and do believe that it is time that one admit that reviewers are as responsible for the complete disconnect between price and worth (performance)in the world of High End Audio ... One has to pause and ask why it almost never happen that a $1000 cartridge would be superior to a $5000 one.. And please don't give me the excuse of how difficult it is to make these . Out and retreating, as I said in another post, ... to my digital lair ...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Frantz,

You sure poke your head out of that digital lair a lot. Are you sure you don't have an analog itch that needs to be scratched?

:D:D:D

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

You sure poke your head out of that digital lair a lot. Are you sure you don't have an analog itch that needs to be scratched?

:D:D:D

:D I hate you Karl !!! :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm not a turntable set-up expert, and I was waiting for someone with more knowledge to weigh in, but I'm surprised that no one has brought up the issues of Cartridge/Tonearm Matching 101. cjfrbw mentioned it in passing, but strangely, none of the vinyl experts has come in with an explanation.

When a cartridge is mounted to a tonearm, it's basically an undamped spring tied to a weight. The issue is the effective mass of the tonearm/cartridge and the compliance of the cartridge. This is easily calculated as rf (the resonant frequency):

rf = 1000/ (2 * pi * sqrt( m * c ))

where m is the total effective mass (effective mass of tonearm plus weight of cartridge plus the nuts and bolts to hold the cartridge)
and c is the compliance of the cartridge in 10-6 dyne/cm.

It is generally accepted that you want to keep the rf between 8Hz and 12Hz to keep it out of the audio range (below 20Hz), and in the frequencies of record warpage, suspension, and footfalls (3Hz to 6Hz).

The effective mass is the dynamic amount of force at the stylus (as opposed to the static VTF) and is influenced by the various appendages on the tonearm about the pivot point. This includes the actual arm, included tonearm leads, all attached hardware, finger lift, counter weight, etc. etc.

The compliance of the cartridge is the "springiness" of the cantilever mounting. A high compliance cartridge has a softer suspension and a low compliance cartridge has a stiffer suspension.

Hence, to keep the rf within the range, a high compliance cartridge needs a low mass arm, and a low compliance cartridge needs a high-mass arm. However, beyond just keeping to the resonant frequency range, the arm/cartridge matching has certain sonic characteristics. A high compliance cartridge mounted on an arm that is too heavy sounds slow, bloated, bass heavy. A low compliance cartridge mounted on an arm that is too light sounds lean and fizzy at the top end. (This is outside the issue of VTF)

Unfortunately, I have not read the review, and I'm not sure what tonearm MF used to review the cartridges, but I'm assuming that it's the Cobra on his Continuum turntable.

The Transfiguration Axia has a weight of 7gms and a compliance of 12 x 10-6 dyne/cm. To hit the resonant frequency range of 8Hz to 12Hz, it needs an arm with effective mass of between 6.5g to 24.5g. (Assuming 1g in the nuts and bolts used to hold the cartridge to the tonearm).

I have not been able to find any specs on the effective mass of the Cobra, but from the owner's manual, washers are added or removed to approximate VTF and then VTF fine-tuned with a screw. So, more weight is added with heavy cartridges, and less weight is used with lighter cartridges. This is supposed to keep the effective mass constant and a constant 8.1Hz resonant frequency for "medium compliance" cartridges.

The designers are probably smarter than I am (which is why I don't sell a $12k tonearm), but I can't figure out how the effective mass can be kept constant by adding or removing weight to the front and back of a lever. So, we need to find an estimate of the effective mass of the tonearm.

If "medium compliance" is generally accepted as from 13 to 20 x 10-6 dyne/cm, then in order to maintain a resonant frequency of exactly 8.1Hz, the effective mass (including the weight of the cartridge and hardware) has to range from 14.27g to 29.64g.

MF's reference cartridge is the Ortofon A90 with compliance of 16 and weight 8g - to get a 8.1Hz resonant frequency, the effective mass of the arm would need to be 16.62g. To get the same resonant frequency with the Transfiguration, the arm would need to be 25.83g. So, the arm is indeed too light for the cartridge, and you would get light-weight bass - exactly as mentioned in the review I haven't read.

So, the Transfiguration Axis is simply a cartridge that is too low compliance to use with MF's tonearms (the Graham I believe is 15g). What he would need to do is to tape three NOS pennies to the headshell, and he will get the bass back.

Again, I'm no turntable set-up expert, but this thread was irritating me because MF is supposed to be the expert on turntable set-up, and he even has a DVD teaching us all how to set one up.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-He actually had it mounted to a Kuzma 4P tonearm.

Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing