When is Hi-Res not really Hi-Res?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
But if you zoom in, you can clearly see the slope ends at 20.5k, well below the Nyquist, which is at 22.05

So... this is actually a 24/96 file that has been filtered from a tape machine.

Attachments

• Material Girl..JPG
    Material Girl..JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 335

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
But if you zoom in, you can clearly see the slope ends at 20.5k, well below the Nyquist, which is at 22.05

Fair enough - so no real content above 20K. But what (in your view) is the benefit of a 96k sample rate?

Julf

Nov 27, 2011

It is also very different from the Holst example I was discussing - where the energy drops to almost nothing just under 24k, and then goes up again, in a pattern looking very much like DSD noise shaping.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It is also very different from the Holst example I was discussing - where the energy drops to almost nothing just under 24k, and then goes up again, in a pattern looking very much like DSD noise shaping.

Correct....

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Actually it's not. I have a day job (Anesthesia). I'm in the studio from when I get home 'til midnight, where I have almost a 2 month backlog of projects. I will get to this when I have more breathing room.... sorry for the delay.

Bruce, I think you work too hard :p

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bruce, the other thing that you might want to mention is the FR of the mics (and mic preamps) being used to do a lot of recordings. Many of the large capsule mics only go up to 16kHz. Especially when a mix of mics are being used, and there are very few small capsule extended range mics, the spectrum analysis end up looking like Redbook anyway.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Many of the large capsule mics only go up to 16kHz. Especially when a mix of mics are being used, and there are very few small capsule extended range mics, the spectrum analysis end up looking like Redbook anyway.

Absolutely. But again, the question is then what the benefit of a 96k sample rate is supposed to be for material that really has no content over 20kHz?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Absolutely. But again, the question is then what the benefit of a 96k sample rate is supposed to be for material that really has no content over 20kHz?

High sampling rates have little to do with freq. domain but more with time domain. But there are exceptions when you use dpa or Earthworks mics into a Millennia mic pre recording muted trumpet or piano at DSD128fs! :D

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
High sampling rates have little to do with freq. domain but more with time domain.

I am aware of the arguments having to do with the benefits of having to do less steep filtering, but I am not entirely sure I buy that argument. Modern DACs all do oversampling, and thus avoid steep filters on playback. On the ADC side, you also don't need a steep filter if you *know* there is no HF content, so you know there is little risk of aliasing.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The new Bob Marley - Legend

Attachments

• Bob Marley..JPG
    Bob Marley..JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 517

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bruce,

If you are referring to the Remastered Edition of Legend produced by the Estate of Bob Marley, i have it. It is very different than the original CD. I like it a lot. What are your thoughts on it?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hi Bruce,

If you are referring to the Remastered Edition of Legend produced by the Estate of Bob Marley, i have it. It is very different than the original CD. I like it a lot. What are your thoughts on it?

These tapes had a whole lot more bass content and much more clarity than the original CD

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bruce,

Did you do the 96/192 version on HDTracks.com?

alexandre

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
These tapes had a whole lot more bass content and much more clarity than the original CD

I observed the same...in particular the clarity was startling. In general, i also felt the entire album felt more relaxed than the original CD.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The new Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay

Attachments

• Otis Redding..JPG
    Otis Redding..JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 434

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
I am here to learn - so, just for my education, how would the spectrum look like if you took some CD (44.1/16) or 48/16 material, and upsampled it in DSD for SACD, and then took that material and converted it to 96/24 PCM? My naive assumption would be that there would be a very steep drop in content at 22 or 24 kHz, and then a softly increasing noise spectrum (from the DSD noise-shaping) above that, again falling when the low-pass filtering for the PCM kicks in.

So, Bruce, what do you think of this spectrum:

I would say it is a DSD file resampled to 96/24, with low pass filtering applied above 32 kHz. Would you agree?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
So, Bruce, what do you think of this spectrum:
I would say it is a DSD file resampled to 96/24, with low pass filtering applied above 32 kHz. Would you agree?

It could be either:

A pure DSD file with steep filtering above 32k

or

A PCM 24/96 file with steep filtering above 32k

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
It could be either:

A pure DSD file with steep filtering above 32k

or

A PCM 24/96 file with steep filtering above 32k

But if it is a PCM file, it would still have been resampled from something that was in DSD format, judging by that noise shaping?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
But if it is a PCM file, it would still have been resampled from something that was in DSD format, judging by that noise shaping?

Yes, forgot to add that:

A PCM 24/96 file upsampled to DSD with steep filtering above 32k

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing